It’s happening again: Three officers shot during standoff with barricaded suspect


HIGH POINT, NC – Police in High Point, North Carolina were reportedly engaged with the suspect that was said to have barricaded themselves inside of a home and reportedly opened fire on police and non-fatally wounding three High Point Police officers during the early morning hours of February 5th.

While this is an actively developing investigation, here is what we know so far.

At approximately 11:15 p.m. on the evening of February 4th, officers with the High Point Police Department were said to have been doing a routine patrol when the sound of gunfire had emanated from around the 2900 block of West English Road.

Investigators were said to have eventually been able to determine the address from which these gunshots allegedly originated from, which police happened upon a male suspect standing on his porch at the residence they responded to.

According to Lieutenant Matt Truitt from the High Point Police Department, the suspect had reportedly made their way inside of the home upon police responding to the residence:

“He ended up retreating back into the house, and we ended up having a barricaded subject.”

Officers with the High Point Police Department had remained at the residence following the barricading, and at approximately 3:00 a.m. on February 5th, the suspect allegedly opened fire on officers – striking three of them.

Apparently, exchanged gunfire carried on until about 5:00 a.m. that morning.  

The three officers shot, who have yet to have been identified, were said to have then been transported to a local hospital and that the injuries sustained are non-life threatening. However, officials say that one officer may need surgery for their sustained injury.

Lieutenant Truitt continued speaking on the gravity of the situation:

“The people that we work with each and every day have been struck by gunfire. This is something that you never want to receive, a call like this, as far as another one of your coworkers has been struck by gunfire.”

Officers from the Greensboro Police Department, as well as deputies from the Guilford County Sheriff’s Office, were said to have been assisting the High Point Police Department at the scene of the incident.

At around 10:10 a.m., a local news crew was said to have heard additional gunshots emanating from the area.

The standoff was said to have reportedly ended at around 10:30 a.m. on February 5th, but officials have not confirmed whether or not the suspect was arrested. Officials are asking that locals avoid the area of West English Road and South Road in High Point.

This is a developing investigation.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we gather further insight into this developing matter.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In other recent incidents related to officer-involved shootings, reportedly one officer was killed in New Mexico and others injured during an incident involving an armed subject on the interstate. 

Officials have since released the identity of the officer killed during the incident. 

Here’s that updated report.


DEMING, NM – A shooting incident that occurred on the interstate on the afternoon of February 4th has reportedly left one New Mexico State Police officer dead, and several other officers injured during the incident.

Officials also say that the suspect involved is dead.

Here is what we know so far.

According to New Mexico State Police officials, one of their own officers died during a shooting incident that happened on the I-10 near milepost 101 not far from the city of Deming.

Several other officers were said to have been injured during the incident, and there were reportedly numerous law enforcement agencies involved as well.

The officer that was killed in the line of duty has since been identified as 28-year-old Officer Darian Jarrott. 

Officials say that after the suspect, later identified as Omar Felix Cueva, had reportedly shot and killed the New Mexico State Police Officer Jarrott, he allegedly took off down the interstate and started making his way toward Las Cruces.

In response, Las Cruces Police attempted to stop the suspect.

The suspect was said to have exited his truck an opened fire on Las Cruces officers, striking one non-fatally. This confrontation was said to have occurred roughly 40 miles away from the original incident where the New Mexico State Police officer was killed.

Said officer was reportedly taken to a nearby hospital and updated reports say that the injuries sustained to the officer are non-life threatening.

Officials say Cueva was shot and killed during the confrontation with Las Cruces Police after the suspect reportedly non-fatally shot one of their officers. 

New Mexico Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham had announced that she’s ordering that all flags within the state will be flown at half-staff to honor the officer’s life that was lost on February 4th. In a statement provided by the governor, the following was noted:

“I am shocked, heartbroken and enraged by the loss of this public servant. I am praying for the local officer who was also shot and injured.”

“But what we know right now is a New Mexico law enforcement officer has been killed in the line of duty and I am horrified as we grieve another life cut down, another family crushed by senseless violence in our state.”

Governor Grisham continued her statement, referring to crimes of this nature as being a “scourge” upon her state:

“Violent crime is a scourge on New Mexico, and the men and women who step up and put on the badge to protect our communities fight it with everything they’ve got every day. We are and must remain grateful for their heroic service every single day – and moments like this remind us why.”

Flags within the state will reportedly remain flown at half-staff from February 5th until the 9th.  

Video footage from a portion of the incident was captured during a standoff between the suspect and officers. 

The Interstate in the area where the incident transpired was reportedly closed down while the incident occurred and during the active investigation of the scene.

This is an ongoing investigation. Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we gather further insight into this developing case.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts