An Oregon woman is under arrest after what police are describing as an “intense” eight-hour standoff on Saturday.

That woman is 39-year-old Jennifer Lois Richardson of Josephine County.  Police said she was ultimately arrested by officers from the Grants Pass Department of Public Safety (GPDPS).

Jennifer Lois Richardson

Jennifer Lois Richardson

Here’s what happened. Police arrived at her apartment at 1100 Fruitdale Drive just after noon on Saturday.

When they got there, they found the two apartments on either side of the woman’s home had water rushing through the walls and floors.

Everyone started worrying about the building’s structural integrity thanks to a “large hole,” which had been spotted in the woman’s ceiling, was leaking water.

Grants Pass Fire and Rescue officials shut off the water and power supplies to the building and evacuated people who lived there.

But the woman refused to leave, and started making threats against officers.

Police said that during the eight-hour standoff, she hurled “knives and other objects” at first-responders, then blocked her apartment door with household items and furniture.

A judge issued a search warrant, and investigators said even then Richardson refused to surrender. They entered in through her front door and she was eventually taken down by officers who had been “equipped with numerous less lethal platforms”.

She was brought to Three Rivers Medical Center for treatment of minor injuries, then booked at the Josephine County Jail where she’s still being held on $35,000 bond

Now she’s facing six criminal charges: first- and second-degree criminal mischief, assault on a police officer, disorderly conduct, unlawful use of a weapon and resisting arrest. 

According to the GPDPS, they already had probable cause to arrest Richardson.

That’s thanks an incident a few days prior to the flooding, when police said she damaged a neighbor’s vehicle.  On top of that, they said she owned an aggressive pitbull dog, which she used to threaten other citizens.

That dog was brought to a local animal control facility.

Police now say her actions caused “extensive damage” to her home and the adjoining apartments. They shared their appreciation of neighbors:

“The GPDPS would like to thank the citizens for their support during this intense event.”

She’s in a world of trouble, thanks to Oregon law which makes first-degree criminal mischief, causing damage of more than $750, a a Class C felony.  It’s punishable by up to five years in prison and fines of $125,000.

Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans?  It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans.  Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice.  Check it out today.


Also over the weekend was another stabbing that was largely avoided in the mainstream media.

Police in Baltimore County are investigating a knife attack that injured five people Saturday at the Hunt Valley Town Centre.

Authorities say a man with a hunting knife stabbed four people and beat another person at the shops. Baltimore County Police ended up shooting and killing him.

They say the first three people were attacked inside Hunt Valley Wine Liquor & Beer.  According to police, a fourth person was stabbed outside a nearby store and the fifth person was wounded on the patio of the Noodles & Company restaurant.

Police spokeswoman Jennifer Peach said all five victims were hospitalized with injuries that were not life-threatening.

Originally they believed five people had been stabbed, but after reviewing video footage and interviewing witnesses Saturday, police revised that number.

It all started on Saturday afternoon, and families said they were shocked by the violence.  It’s a suburban mall filled with boutique shops and restaurants.


After the attack, a manager at the liquor store turned away customers, telling them some of the staff had been hurt.

According to Peach, mall security guards encountered the man before the attacks and they escorted him out of the liquor store and off the mall property.

But he came back to the liquor store around 1:30 p.m. and things escalated quickly.

According to Peach, the man was aggressive, demanding money and waving around a knife with a three-inch blade.

They said after he committed the stabbings at the liquor store and Noodles & Company, that he ran to Shawan Road.  That’s where he ran into encountered officers at the busy intersection of McCormick Road, an entrance to the mall.

“He was armed with a knife and our officers were forced to discharge their weapons. That resulted in a critical injury to the suspect,” Peach said. “He has since been pronounced deceased.”

Police haven’t yet released his identity, only saying he was an adult.

Luckily for the victims, an off-duty emergency medical services captain was at the shopping center at the time and took care of the wounded until emergency crews arrived.

Peach said that the department is gathering both body camera and surveillance footage as they piece together both the stabbings and the officer-involved shooting.

The agency has not yet identified the officer or officers who shot the suspect.

They’re also working with state transit police, because they have reason to believe he may be the same behind a stabbing earlier Saturday at the Upton Metro station in Baltimore.

Paul Shepard is the spokesman for the Maryland Transit Administration.

He said someone was stabbed at the West Baltimore station, but as if Saturday night he hadn’t yet released further details.

“We’re working with Baltimore County to determine whether it was connected,” he said.

A shopper in Hunt Valley spoke with the media about what happened.  She requested anonymity out of concern for her safety because she witnessed some of what happened.

The woman said she saw a man sitting on the back of an ambulance and bleeding from his stomach as she and her daughter left the nearby DSW store.

“I thought, initially, he had been hit by the light rail,” she said. “As we’re walking to [our] car, through the parking lot, we see all of these emergency vehicles come up.”

She said that she and her young daughter got to their car and drove, turning right out of the lot onto Shawan Road, heading to the nearby Executive Plaza to pick up her husband and son.

According to the woman, that’s when she saw about seven police officers surrounding a man in the four-lane road opposite the median from her.

“The suspect’s clearly not cooperating because he’s walking super slow and not following whatever he’s being told,” she said.

According to the woman, when the man reached the corner of Shawan and McCormick roads, near the Executive Plaza, several gunshots rang out and he went down. 

In another stabbing still under investigation, police have arrested seven more teens in the murder of a Long Island student caught on camera.

The arrests came Friday.  Police say they’re all related to the stabbing death of a Nassau County high school student earlier this month.

The suspects are 19-year-old Haakim Mechan; 18-year-old Marquis Stephens; 18-year-old Javonte Neals; 17-year-old Taj Woodruff; 17-year-old Sean Merritt and two younger teens who were not named.

They were all slapped with gang assault charges in the slaying.

Police said that on Saturday morning at a press conference, Police Commissioner Patrick Ryder will formally announce the arrests related to the fatal stabbing of 16-year-old Khaseen Morris.

The teens were all identified through footage posted on social media, including Snapchat.

The incident, which took place in Oceanside, New York shows just how far society has fallen.

Nassau County police say a 16-year-old boy was stabbed to death, and some 70 people watched it and recorded it on their cell phones.

Not a single person stepped in to try and help, but countless witnesses uploaded the footage to social media afterwards.

The first to be charged with second-degree murder in the stabbing death of 16-year-old Khaseen Morris was Tyler Flach, after police say he stabbed him in the chest.

Tyler Flach

Tyler Flach

Morris was rushed to a local hospital, where he later died.

Khaseen Morris, 16, was stabbed once in the chest during the altercation. He was rushed to a local hospital, where he later died.

“Kids stood there and didn’t help Khaseen,” Nassau County Police Detective Lieutenant Stephen Fitzpatrick said. “They’d rather video. They videoed his death instead of helping him.”

According to Lt. Fitzpatrick, police reviewed all of the footage.  According to them 18-year-old Tyler Flach was “absolutely” the person who fatally stabbed Morris.

On Thursday afternoon, Flach pleaded not guilty to one count of second-degree murder in First District Court in Hempstead and was ordered to be held without bond.

“This defendant and his group of friends went looking for 16-year-old Khaseen Morris,” Senior Nassau Assistant District Attorney Ania Pulaski said to the court. “This defendant attacked Mr. Morris, stabbed him in the chest…piercing his heart.”

Lt. Fitzpatrick said it happened when a group of six or seven males attacked Morris and some of his friends as they were standing in front of a strip mall near Oceanside High School.

According to Nassau Police Commissioner Patrick Ryder, there may soon be charges filed against other individuals.

 “The time to come forward is now,” Commissioner Ryder said. “We have a community that’s outraged by the death of this young man. We’re outraged by the death of this young man. We had people stand by and take video. There’s video evidence that is out there.”

Nassau County District Attorney Madeline Signas weighed in on the attack.  She described it as a “horrific tragedy” for Morris’ family and the entire Oceanside community.

“We can’t sit idly by as 16-year-olds expire and bleed out on our streets here in Nassau County,” Signa implored. “So please, give us the information…to ensure that justice is done for Khaseen and his family.”

It’s not Flach’s first run-in with the law – he currently has two other cases pending against him for prior arrests.

In one of those cases, dating back to May 23, he was charged with third-degree assault after being arrested in connection with a road-rage incident.

He was arrested again on September 8th and charged with criminal possession of a controlled substance.

His attorney, Edward Sapone, said there’s another side to the story.

“Tyler strongly maintains his innocence and he took the responsible step of self-surrendering to eventually clear his name,” he said. “At the appropriate time, we will release vital information about what happened that’s not captured on video and that completely changes this case. Until then, we ask the community to reserve judgment and pray for those who are suffering.”

According to Sapone,  some of Morris’ friends may be affiliated with the Bloods street gang.  As a result, he’s asked that Flach be held in protective custody to prevent him from being killed.

Editor Note: This story shows the shift in society we’re facing thanks to social media.  It called to mind the story of Officer Alex Ladwig.  He was shot in the face on duty… while it was streamed on Facebook live and nobody helped him.

Officer Alex Ladwig

Officer Alex Ladwig, interviewed by Houston Gas on Thin Blue Blood, featured on LET Unity

The entire reason we launched LET Unity was to give a voice to officers like Alex who have never been able to tell their stories.  It’s a tragic story – but also one filled with a dose of reality that America needs.  

Proceeds from LET Unity memberships go directly back into telling the stories of warriors like Officer Ladwig.  We hope you’ll consider signing up.  The mainstream media isn’t giving them a platform.  Social media is censoring them.  Help us to help them.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First