Lesson learned? Probably not. Indianapolis felon wearing GPS monitor accused of murdering man


INDIANAPOLIS, IN – The Marion County prosecutor’s office sounds proud that a GPS monitoring device was instrumental in helping police catch a murder suspect.

The prosecutor’s office made note of that detail when it issued a statement explaining the charges the murder suspect had recently pleaded to and the penalties that normally accompany those charges.

What the prosecutor’s office declined to do was explain why a man who had just pleaded guilty to two felonies was not in prison but was instead free to roam the city and be identified by witnesses to having just killed a man.

It’s good that the felon’s GPS monitor played a significant role in his apprehension but an Indianapolis man is now dead and a family is in mourning because judges and prosecutors suddenly have an extreme aversion to  incarcerating violent individuals.

So instead of being locked away from the rest of society, police say David Ice, 32, got into an argument with a man over money following a drug deal and shot him dead.

Police said 44-year-old Darryl Ransom Jr., known by friends and family as Monk, was the man who died in the June 3 shooting.

The Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department responded just after 10:20 p.m. to the shooting on Dearborn Street  on the east side and found Ransom suffering multiple gunshot wounds. He died at the scene, WISH-TV reported.

IMPD Capt. Don Weilhammer told the TV station that the victim’s son and his son’s girlfriend found Ransom dead inside his home.

Witnesses helped identify Ice as the killer, police said. His GPS monitoring device placed him at the scene that night and police used it again to track him down to a house on Bolivar Avenue, according to court records.


The murder suspect’s arrest came less than one month after he had pleaded guilty to the two felony charges.

Court records show Ice was charged with felony battery in April, following accusations he assaulted a co-worker at the Salvation Army building on east Washington Street.

As part of a plea agreement in both cases, which was accepted in May, a judge sentenced Ice to two years with time suspended and ordered the suspect to undergo anger management classes and wear a GPS monitor.

The victim’s girlfriend was too emotional to talk about the death to a reporter did say she feels the justice system failed Ransom.

Indianapolis Fraternal Order of Police President Rick Snyder is a frequent critic of Marion County’s justice system, which he called “catch and release.”

Snyder said:

“I think it’s fair for the family to have strong questions on why this offender was out, who is now alleged to have taken the life of their loved one.” 


“It’s the revolving door that continues to spin and more people continue to die. The point we keep making is many of these deaths are preventable.”

The prosecutor’s office declined to comment on the case but did provide the following statement:

“In May the defendant pleaded guilty to Battery/F6 and Habitual Traffic Violator/F6 both are level 6 felonies. The defendant was sentenced to two years in Marion County Community Corrections.

“Additionally, conditions included anti-theft classes and anger management classes. A Level 6 felony carries a sentencing range of 0.5 – 2.5 years with an advisory sentence of one year.”

The suspect remains behind bars at the Marion County jail where he’s being without bond pending the filing of formal murder charges, police said.


It happened again: Suspect who shot Indianapolis rookie was a repeat offender out on parole

March 8, 2022

INDIANAPOLIS, IN – In a story that has become all too common, an Indianapolis police officer was shot by a suspect who was a repeat offender out on parole for a violent crime involving a firearm.

On February 27, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department received a dispatch to a reported motor vehicle accident at 10:05 p.m. Enroute to the scene, police were updated:

“A black man in a red jacket was exposing himself, and a male in a red vehicle was acting strangely, and the male in the red vehicle was intoxicated and was last seen southbound on State Street.”

When officers arrived, witnesses pointed out a man in a red jacket in a red Buick. Two uniformed officers, including an officer-in-training, approached the man. The man fled on foot, ignoring the officers’ commands to stop, according to IMPD Chief Randal Taylor.

“They engage with that subject, the subject runs. There is a pursuit, a foot pursuit. We hear about an officer that was shot.”

During an exchange of gunfire with the suspect, Ofc. Thomas Mangan, was struck in the throat. The other officer shot the suspect at least once during the gunfight as he fled the scene.

At 10:14 p.m., medics were called to the scene and  an Indianapolis Fire Department engine took the wounded officer to Sidney & Lois Eskenazi Hospital. Officer Mangan was listed in serious but stable condition.

An IMPD special weapons and tactics team was deployed to search for the suspect. With the aid of a drone, officers located the wounded suspect just after 11 p.m. in the backyard of a residence. He had suffered at least one gunshot wound and a handgun was recovered next to the suspect.

Medics with the SWAT team treated the man before an Indianapolis EMS ambulance took him to IU Health Methodist Hospital.

The suspect was eventually identified as 31-year-old Mylik Hill, a repeat offender with outstanding arrest warrants and a history of violent crimes. At the time of the shooting, Hill was on probation/supervised release for prior robbery and felony firearm possession charges.

Court records confirm that Hill was arrested on January 31 and charged with theft, a level 6 felony, and two counts of resisting law enforcement, a level 6 felony and class A misdemeanor. He was released on February 1 on a $500 cash bond, court records show.

Hill was the getaway driver for a theft at an Indianapolis Walmart, where another suspect loaded a stolen television and other items into a vehicle Hill was operating. The two fled the store and led police on a high-speed chase, according to arrest papers.

Eventually, Hill’s vehicle stopped, and he fled on foot. Butler Police Department officers and IMPD K9 officers were able to locate and take Hill into custody.

Court records show that Hill was convicted in a burglary and theft case in 2009. He also served a sentence at the Putnamville Correctional Facility for a conviction related to a 2011 armed robbery in Indianapolis.

According to Indiana Department of Corrections records, Hill served 8.5 years of a 15-year sentence. In 2018, he penned a request for work release, writing:

“Some mistakes I believe I will never make again, like jeopardizing my life and freedom. I would actually like to apologize to my victims.

“I’m no longer involved in misconduct in any way shape form or fashion. I know what is truly right. I know the price of crime doesn’t pay at all.”

The request was denied in 2020 because of misconduct while in jail. However, in February 2021, Hill was paroled from the Putnamville Correctional Facility and placed under the supervision of the Indianapolis Parole District.

On January 19, 2022, he was listed as delinquent by parole services, just a month prior to the shooting. Rick Snyder, President of the Indianapolis Fraternal Order of Police (FOP), said that once again, the system failed:

“We remain steadfast at this point, we want to see confirmation of the records, the public records, and a confirmation of this, but reviewing what publicly available information, it appears this was a repeat violent offender, in fact, classified by law as a serious violent offender, who was out on parole.

“Here again was an opportunity for the system to intervene, do the violation for the parole violation on the serious violent offender and hold person in custody, but instead because they were cycled through that revolving door on a low cash bond, now here we sit. You have an officer that’s critically injured, a wife that is asking questions of why and how, and a community that should be demanding answers.

“It could have been prevented. It leads to many strong questions.”

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First


Submit a Correction
Related Posts