Report: Illegal immigrant arrested in the killing of Sheriff’s Deputy Michael Hartwick was previously deported


PINELLAS COUNTY, FL – Law Enforcement Today previously reported on the tragic, untimely death of Pinellas Country Sheriff’s Office Deputy Michael Hartwick and how the man responsible for his death was living in the country illegally.

Thanks to President Joe Biden and his lack of border control along with an employer who seemingly did not do their due diligence when hiring the suspect as a construction worker, this one deported illegal immigrant killed a 19-year-veteran.

According to authorities, the suspect, identified as 32-year-old Juan Ariel Molina-Salles, plowed down Hartwick, then fled the scene and was able to get another construction worker, who is also an illegal immigrant, to help him escape the scene of the crime.

During a press conference, Pinellas County Sheriff Bob Gualtieri said that immigration authorities deported Molina-Salles after he allegedly jumped the southern border back in October of 2021, but then crossed illegally again and began working in the Tampa Bay area.

According to reports, Molina-Salles initially provided law enforcement with the fake name “Victor Vazquez,” which Gualtieri called “a bunch of nonsense.” The sheriff said:

“He came back in through the Texas border, he is here illegally, and he’s been here in the Tampa Bay area since about March of this year.”

Molina-Salles has been charged with leaving the scene of an incident involving death, a first-degree felony, and is being held on a $500,000 bond. Gualtieri said in a statement:

“If he were to try and bond on the state charges, the immigration detainer would kick in. If he doesn’t bond, it will sit. He will go through the process in state court.”

Hartwick was working a construction detail on I-275 near Tampa and arrived at the construction site around 10:40 p.m. Shortly after arriving, a large front-loader traveling northbound that was allegedly operated by Molina-Salles, struck and killed the deputy.

The sheriff asserted that the illegal immigrant continued to drive and made a frantic phone call to another construction worker while sobbing before finally pulling off the road. He allegedly then gave his hard hat and vest to another illegal immigrant that was working at the construction site.

That man also initially gave a fake name to authorities, but was later identified as Elieser Aurelio Gomez-Zelaya. According the sheriff, Molina-Salles fled northbound and Gomez-Zelaya allegedly hid the hard and vest in the woods.

Gomez-Zelaya has been charged with being an accessory after the fact and providing a false name or identity. He is being held on a $100,135 bond.

Gualtieri said that the search for Molina-Salles took nine hours mostly in part because a number of illegal immigrants working on the construction site were uncooperative. He said:

“The majority of them were giving false names, they were hindering the investigation, not giving us answers to the questions that we needed, and importantly they were all giving us fake names, like these guys, they were all giving us fake names.”

He added:

“All of these people are working for Archer Western which is a contractor apparently doing work for the Florida Department of Transportation out of Tampa and this company’s employing all of these illegals, and they’re all out there lying, giving us fake names, fake ID’s; a lot of fake ID’s out of North Carolina.”

The sheriff said of Molina-Salles:

“He doesn’t have a driver’s license; he’s got nothing. You know, he shouldn’t have been here to begin with, and he shouldn’t have been driving, and he shouldn’t have been working.”

According to police, while the manhunt for Molina-Salles was ongoing, he allegedly phoned his roommate in Tampa, who is also in the country illegally. Gualtieri said:

“He came over and tried to pick him up. He actually saw all of the law enforcement activity, called him back and said ‘I’m not getting involved in this,’ and he turned around and went back to Tampa.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Suspect arrested in fatal hit-and-run of sheriff’s deputy was allegedly drinking and driving, and is in the country illegally

September 20th, 2022

WELD COUNTY, CO – A Colorado sheriff’s deputy, who was just one week away from celebrating her 24th birthday, was fatally killed in a hit-and-run car accident.

On Monday, September 19th, just one day after the accident, the primary suspect was arrested. According to Fox News, the sheriff’s office said that the suspect was taken into custody by the sheriff’s office Strike Team, Colorado State Patrol, and the Fort Collins police shortly after 10 p.m.

The suspect has been identified as Octavio Gonzalez-Garcia, who is said to be in his late 30s and resides in the United States illegally.

The young victim, Alexis Hein-Nutz, was a Weld County Sheriff’s Office Deputy and she was pronounced dead at the scene. She was reportedly on her way into work at the county jail when she was hit by Gonzalez-Garcia.

In a statement on Facebook, Weld County Sheriff Steve Reams wrote:

“Alexis was hired in November 2018 and assigned to the Weld County Jail where she served as a detentions deputy. She joined our ranks at the age of 21. Alexis was born in Bismarck, N.D. It was a childhood dream to someday serve others as a peace officer.”

He added:

“Alexis was a hard worker, a caring deputy and a positive force for our agency. I share in my deputies’ grief and in their anger over her senseless and tragic passing. But we are a family and we will get through this painful event together.”

The sheriff’s office said that Hein-Nutz was riding her motorcycle while on her way to work when she collided with a white van. The driver of that van has been identified as Gonzalez-Garcia. Reams said in a statement:

“Gonzalez-Garcia made no attempt to provide Alexis aid despite her obvious injuries. Instead, he ran away like a coward and hid in a nearby cornfield.”

Hein-Nutz was traveling southbound when the suspect drove from a stop sign at the intersection into the deputy’s path. She collided with the front passenger side of Gonzalez-Garcia’s vehicle and her motorcycle caught fire.

Colorado State Patrols’ Joshua Lewis said in a statement:

“We do believe the driver of the van was under the influence at the time. There is evidence to support that.”

Police said they also found evidence to support that Gonzalez-Garcia was living in the country illegally when they discovered what appears to be a falsified Green Card and fake Social Security Card in his car.

Following a statewide manhunt, the sheriff’s office was able to locate the suspect in Fort Collins. The sheriff”s office said:

“The man was tracked to Fort Collins thanks to numerous tips we received from the public about the case.”

The Weld County Sheriff’s Office is accepting donations to help Hein-Nutz’s family through its nonprofit charitable foundation, the Weld County Sheriff’s Office Posse.

One month after graduating from Weld County’s Jail Academy, she posted the message below to her Facebook wall:

“After many years of dreaming of being in law enforcement, I can finally say I am officially following my dreams. This is only the first stepping-stone to a brighter future. Here is to a better life and doing what I was meant to do.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Democrat councilwoman accused of hit and run now faces new allegation of interfering with an officer

August 3rd, 2022

HOBOKEN, NJ – A Jersey Councilwoman who faced backlash after being accused of committing a hit and run is in the hot seat again, this time for allegedly interfering with an officer.

The incident in question happened in November of 2021 but was not made public until recently.

Jersey City Councilwoman Amy DeGise allegedly had left her car parked in a no parking/standing zone in November of 2021. While it was illegally parked, a tractor-trailer making a turn struck DeGise’s vehicle, prompting the police response.

The officer who was investigating the incident learned that DeGise’s vehicle had not been registered since 2019, and as such, was required by New Jersey State law to impound the vehicle until it was registered.

As the officer was waiting for the vehicle to get towed, DeGise made contact with him and asked him not to tow her vehicle.

The incident, captured on police body camera, was released by Hudson County View. In the video, DeGise is heard attempting to stop Hoboken Police Officer Ramon Caldron from towing her vehicle.

She told him that she had been recently elected as a councilwoman, had a member of her family in law enforcement, and that she needed to get back to work. DeGise is heard saying:

“I was endorsed by the JCPD. I’m a councilwoman.”

Officer Caldron is then heard expressing to her that it does not matter who she is or who she knows, rather, her vehicle was in violation of state law and he was required to tow it. He said:

“I’m sorry, there’s nothing I can do. This is Jersey state law. You can take what you want from the car now, and you can pick up the vehicle when it’s registered and you can get a report.”

No information has been released which would lead us to determine if DeGise paid any type of fine to retrieve her vehicle from impound in November.

This newest drama comes after DeGise’s more recent traffic crash in which she allegedly failed to stop after striking a bicyclist in an intersection. Thankfully, reports are that the cyclist was not seriously hurt.

Calls for DeGise to step down have grown louder from her opponents but that seemingly does not matter as she has stated she has no intention of resigning from her office.

DeGise’s spokesperson recently released a statement in which her intention was made crystal clear:

“Councilwoman DeGise was elected overwhelmingly just a few months ago and she has no intention of walking away from the commitment she made to serve the people of Jersey City. She will not resign and plans to complete her full term and continue in public service.”

DeGise’s spokesperson added that she will not be speaking anymore on the matter while all of the legal processes work their way through the courts:

“As she has said previously, she is thankful that no one was seriously injured and she fully intends to speak out more when the legal process is concluded.”

Report: New Jersey leading Democrat strikes bicyclist with SUV, flees scene without stopping

JERSEY CITY, NJ- Wow! That’s all we’ve got in the case of a New Jersey councilwoman who was captured on video striking a bicyclist with her SUV then leaving the scene at high speed without checking for injuries, the New York Post reports.

Amy DeGise, a councilwoman from Jersey City, located across the Hudson River from New York City was seen driving at a fast rate of speed through an intersection when she struck Andrew Black, the cyclist, at around 8 a.m. on July 19.

The impact caused Black to go flying over the vehicles hood and falling to the ground, reported.

Black, 29 who is an Uber-Eats deliveryman said, “I look left, suddenly I just hear ‘Ba[m].’ I get hit. I roll over and I’m in such pain.”

Based on video surveillance of the intersection, it would be impossible for DeGise to claim she didn’t see the bicycle. She simply drove away from the intersection of Martin Luther King Dr. and Forrest St. in a Nissan Rogue like nothing happened, said Black, who was able to regain his footing after the crash.


In fact, it didn’t appear that DeGise ever even hit the brakes after she struck the bicyclist.

What happened after the crash is a bit subject to debate. At some point in time, she contacted the police department and received a summons.

On July 20, DeGise issued a statement in which she called the accident an “unfortunate event” however said she could not speak further due to her criminal case.

He did not suffer any serious injuries, but based on the impact, it could have been much worse. He is angry that someone who is supposed to be a community leader attempted to evade responsibility for the crash.

“Someone of prestige [who is] demanding to uphold and clean our streets or whatever they’re calling it can’t even do it themselves,” Black said. “It really upset me.” noted that Black’s shoes were knocked off as a result of the crash, while his now-mangled bike skidded to the curb. A number of people who witnessed the accident tended to Black in order to help.

For example, one woman retrieved his other shoe, while people from a corner preschool set out a cooler for him to sit on. A number of people stopped by to make sure he was ok.

The video shows Black pedaling through a red light at the time of the accident, the New Jersey Globe reported. Despite DeGise having the right of way, she was issued a summons for leaving the scene of an accident and failing to report it, the outlet wrote.

An online petition posted on gathered over 600 signatures demanding DeGise’s resignation. The Post said DeGise did not return a request for comment.

Anyone who found themselves in a situation such as DeGise did should have done the right thing and stopped. The fact that she is an elected official means she should be held to a higher standard than Joe Six Pack. She swore an oath to uphold the law, which she failed at miserably.

As noted, “pedestrian, bicycle and overall traffic safety are huge issues in Jersey City, so much so in fact that the city has signed on to the Vision Zero goal of ending tragic motor vehicle crashes.

The voters of Jersey City deserve an explanation from DeGise as to why she thought it prudent to evade the scene of an accident where she should have known there was a possibility of serious injury.

Why would anyone, especially a sitting city councilwoman strike someone with her vehicle and leave the scene? Is this what she thinks of her constituents?

DeGise is apparently well-connected. As we have seen in national politics, who you are is much more important than what you did. It will be interesting to see if DeGise is made to pay the price for her inaction and her deliberate attempt to evade responsibility for an accident.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First


Submit a Correction
Related Posts