‘I smacked him’: 5-year-old fights back against man who tried kidnapping him, manages to escape


Editor note: In 2020, we saw a nationwide push to “defund the police”.  While we all stood here shaking our heads wondering if these people were serious… they cut billions of dollars in funding for police officers.  And as a result, crime has skyrocketed – all while the same politicians who said “you don’t need guns, the government will protect you” continued their attacks on both our police officers and our Second Amendment rights.

And that’s exactly why we’re launching this national crowdfunding campaign as part of our efforts to help “re-fund the police”.

For those looking for a quick link to get in the fight and support the cause, click here.

VANCOUVER, WA – A mother in Vancouver endured a harrowing experience when police say that a 24-year-old man tried kidnapping her 5-year-old son at the park earlier in October. Yet despite the frightening episode, the young victim managed to strike his would-be kidnapper.

The incident occurred on October 13th at approximately 5:00 p.m. at Marshall Park, as Jennifer Crothers and her 5-year-old son Quentin were playing. Authorities say that a man, identified as 24-year-old Khael Aguilar-McNamee, grabbed the young boy’s hand in an effort to kidnap him.

Quentin recounted that moment, saying he hit the suspect when he was grabbed:

“He grabbed my hand and I smacked him.”

Crothers stated that when she told the suspect to back away from her son, the suspect then lunged at her:

“[Quentin] ran up the slide on the other side from me. I saw him maybe hitting him, but first thing I said is ‘back off’ then he turned towards me, so I put my arm out and I said, ‘back off!’ then he went like this, and I said, ‘back off!’ then he rushed at me.”

When Crothers and her son tried fleeing the area, Aguilar-McNamee allegedly pursued the two:

“I started screaming someone call 911, someone call 911, I can’t. Someone call 911, I can’t, I’m deaf! Please! No one did anything.”

The victim’s mother says that finally someone stepped in and came to her and her son’s aid, noting that another woman got right in the suspect’s face:

“She stopped him. I don’t know if I would have had the power or strength to do that of a man his size. She stood directly face-to-face to him not even a foot apart.”

Looking back at the experience, Crothers hopes this serves as a wake-up call to parents to be more vigilant when in public and also teaching their children about predators:

“That was also kind of amazing, I don’t know if I’ve ever talked about stranger with him really and his instinct was ‘wait let go’ and hit him. One thing I think is important especially at that park, where most people sit is on the curb and at the picnic tables. Had I been where most parents sit versus being right where he was, I wouldn’t have him.”

Following the incident at Marshall Park, she has no desire to bring her son to play on the playground there anymore:

“I will go there for soccer, but he’s not ever going there to play again. Which is unfortunate, it’s a very nice park.”

Amidst all the chaos on the day of the incident, Crothers laments not having caught the woman’s name who stepped in and stopped the suspect:

“I mean literally, she saved us. I really wish I got to say thank you.”

Aguilar-McNamee was apprehended by Vancouver Police shortly after the incident, with his first court appearance having taken place on October 15th.

According to Fox 12 correspondent Mia Villanueva, a competency hearing was scheduled for October 18th due to Aguilar-McNamee’s reported conduct while being held in custody. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Bail set at just $15k for man who tried abducting a toddler in broad daylight in police-defunded NYC

(Originally published October 14th, 2021)

NEW YORK CITY, NY – The 27-year-old suspect accused of trying to abduct a toddler in broad daylight earlier in October is reportedly being held on $15,000 bail following his arraignment. The disturbing attempted abduction of the child was captured on surveillance video.

On October 11th, footage captured the moments when police say that 27-year-old Santiago Salcedo snatched 3-year-old Lilianna Repka while the young girl was walking with her grandmother at the corner of East Tremont Avenue and Baisley Avenue in Schuylerville.

The suspect seen in the video approaches the young girl and quickly yanks her away from her grandmother, wrapping the child in a blanket and storming off.

However, witness Fermin Bracero says that Salcedo let go of the little girl once he was confronted by himself and others: 

“A couple people went after him and he let the girl go. If it weren’t for us maybe who know what happen. It’s crazy. He just came out of nowhere. Not too sure what he was planning to do, but carrying a blanket, either he’s homeless or looking for a kid. That’s what I saw. That’s what my thinking is.”

Bracero recounted how frightened the little girl’s grandmother was during the incident: 

“She started screaming, the grandmother, ‘My little girl! My little girl!’ She was hysterical. It was like a movie, but this is real life. It was crazy.”

Police later caught up with the suspect after he fled the area, with authorities saying Salcedo was located while he was sleeping in the doorway of a nearby business.

Speaking to the New York Post, the 3-year-old’s mother, Jana Repka, said that she wants the suspect to “get help” but doesn’t want to see him put in jail:

“I want to press charges but I don’t want him to go to jail. I want him to get help. Jail is not going to help him.”

During Salcedo’s arraignment on October 12th, his public defender, Angeline Andersen, quoted the victim’s mother and asked for leniency:

“I ask that your honor have that same compassion and understanding for Mr. Salcedo that the complainant’s mother did.”

The public defender asked that Salcedo receive “medical treatment and mental health services”, which the judge did agree to. When it came time to set bail, Judge Seth Steed noted that the case is “very serious” and noted the time Salcedo faces if convicted:

“The defendant faces up to 15 years in prison for the alleged kidnapping of the 3-year-old girl.”

Bail was set at $15,000 for the charges of kidnapping, unlawful imprisonment, and acting in a manner injurious to a child.

The suspect was further ordered to stay away from the victim in the event he’s able to make bail.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

‘It’s a miracle’: 3-year-old boy who was missing for four days in Texas rescued by person from Bible study

(Originally published October 12th, 2021)

GRIMES COUNTY, TX – A 3-year-old boy who went missing earlier in October and was lost for four days was recovered after being discovered by a landowner roughly five miles away from the child’s home. While the child was reported as being dehydrated, authorities say he’s in both good health and spirits.

On October 6th, 3-year-old Christopher Ramirez went missing from his home in Plantersville, which sparked an intense four-day search throughout the woods and neighboring areas for the child.

Authorities say that Christopher’s mother, Araceli Nunez, was unloading groceries while the child was playing with a neighbor’s dog, with the child eventually following the dog into the woods. The dog had come out of the woods, while Christopher did not.

Hundreds of searchers combed the woods by land, air, and water day and night in the days that followed, as authorities sought for clues connected to the disappearance. The FBI and Texas EquuSearch were among the authorities and volunteer organizations engaged in the search.

According to Grimes County Sheriff Don Sowell, it was a local citizen – who opted to remain anonymous – who’d heard about the missing child during a Bible study and decided to search the woods around his land to see if he could find the child on October 9th:

“The citizen was walking his property and heard this whimper, maybe a cry, and saw the little boy, took him into his arms and called in. We responded with the mother and reunited them.”

Sheriff Sowell stated that even though the child was “dehydrated as well as hungry” that he was “in overall good spirits and healthy” considering he’d been wondering missing outside for four days. Authorities are still unclear how the child managed to wander so far away from his home and where he’d been over the past four days prior to being recovered.

Making note of the young boy’s ability to survive for days while out in the elements, the sheriff added that Christopher would make for a fine servicemember one day:

“He was in good shape, for the most part. For the conditions being down in the woods…he’ll be the ultimate Army Ranger, Navy SEAL, Air Force when he [grows up], but he’s already passed the first test.”

The young boy was transported over to Texas Children’s Hospital in the Woodlands, where staff will observe and monitor him for a period of time to ensure all is well.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts