Congressman Higgins introduces bill to criminalize obstruction of emergency services

Share:

WASHINGTON, D.C. – A standing ovation goes to Congressman Clay Higgins this evening! 

On September 17th, Congressman Higgins introduced the “Emergency Services Access Act”. This Act would make blocking an ambulance from accessing a hospital or rendering emergency medical treatment a federal crime.

If passed, violators would face up to five years in prison, fines, or both. If death results, violators would face imprisonment terms comparable to a first or second-degree murder charge.

Higgins presented this bill in response to the disgraceful incident that took place earlier this week, when two LA County deputies were shot, and protesters blocked both the hospital entrances and exits screaming “we hope they die!”

I have zero tolerance for the type of behavior that was demonstrated in Los Angeles this past weekend. The obstruction…

Posted by Congressman Clay Higgins on Thursday, September 17, 2020

Read the bill here.

Congressman Higgins issued a statement on the proposal, stating:

“I have zero tolerance for the type of behavior that was demonstrated in Los Angeles. The so-called protestors who blocked an ambulance and wished death upon the deputies should be charged criminally.

Their actions are pure evil. The obstruction of roadways and blocking of emergency vehicles is not peaceable assembly.

First responders don’t have time to waste, and a clear path of transit can mean the difference between life and death. Our legislation makes it 100% clear that this behavior is criminal and will be met with harsh penalty.”

It is rare lately, but very refreshing to see politicians take a stance against the chaos going on and stand with our officers. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Here is the story of the shooting that sparked Higgins to propose the Emergency Services Access Act.

COMPTON, LA– The hunt is still on for the gunman who ambushed two Los Angeles County Sheriff’s officers on September 12th.

Now, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva tells ABC News that he has warned deputies to watch out for more possible attacks. Villanueva said:

“This is going to cause us to be a lot more concerned about when we approach vehicles when we’re out there on the streets,” 

He went on to say:

“We have everybody paired up in two-man vehicles now. So, we’re going to have to be watching out for each other’s back out there on the streets.”

Villanueva said that the LA County Sheriff department is using all the resources at their disposal to aid in the search for the gunman. He pressed the immediate need to identify the dangerous suspect and get him off the streets before he’s able to strike again.

The FBI has joined in the search for the gunman, and announced it is lending resources to the manhunt and “stands ready to assist in response” to the attack.

On Sunday, the The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors approved a $100,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the gunman.

In addition, many have made anonymous donations to aid in the arrest of the suspect. 

Villanueva told ABC News that despite being shot four or five times, including once in the jaw, the female deputy walked around the patrol vehicle to help her 24-year-old partner, who suffered gunshot wounds to his forehead, arms and a hand.

He said:

“He’s bleeding out profusely from the arm so she actually applies a tourniquet to his arm to stop the bleeding and she tries to call for help on the radio, 

“It’s pretty heart-wrenching and she’s trying to mumble and we finally get her … she says where she is at and the fact that there was a shooting, and that got all the help rolling in her direction.”

Villanueva said after exiting their patrol car, the wounded deputies hid behind a column because:

“They didn’t know if the gunman was going to come back or not and they’re obviously both disabled and injured, very gut-wrenching to see the video and the heroic efforts from both of them to get to safety and still manage to take care of each other,” 

It has just been reported that the 24-year-old male deputy that was shot in the forehead, arms and hands has been released from the hospital. 

LOS ANGELES, CA – Two Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department deputies are in critical condition after being ambushed and shot multiple times on Saturday night, September 12th. 

The deputies, whose names have not been released, but are said to be a 24-year-old male, and a 31-year-old female, who is the mother of a 6-year-old boy, were reportedly shot in the head multiple times, but were able to radio for help.

The officers were parked outside of the PAX metro station in Compton, when the unidentified suspect walked up to the car and began firing. 

In a late night press conference Alex Villanueva, the Los Angeles County Sheriff, said the deputies were taken to the hospital and underwent surgery. Both deputies have been members of the department for 14 months. 

 

The department posted a video to its Twitter feed showing the gunman approaching the passenger side of the car, firing and then running away.

Sheriff Villanueva, was not mincing words in his statement saying:

“Seeing somebody just walk up and just start shooting them, it pisses me off,

“It dismays me at the same time. There’s no prettier way to say it.”

He also said:

“This is just a sober reminder that this is a dangerous job and you know actions, words have consequences, and our job does not get any easier because people don’t like law enforcement,”

President Trump, who has been an outspoken supporter of police, and continually denounces violence against them, retweeted the video early Sunday morning saying:
 
“Animals that must be hit hard!”
 

In a particularly heinous act, when protesters got wind that the officers were being taken to the hospital, they blocked both the entrances and exists shouting “we hope they die!”.

The LA County Sherriffs Office tweeted:

“To the protesters blocking the entrance & exit of the HOSPITAL EMERGENCY ROOM yelling “We hope they die” referring to 2 LA Sheriff’s ambushed today in #Compton: DO NOT BLOCK EMERGENCY ENTRIES & EXITS TO THE HOSPITAL, People’s lives are at stake when ambulances can’t get through.”

Deputies issued a dispersal order to the group of protesters blocking the hospital emergency entrance and exits, when an adult male protester refused to comply and cooperate, which resulted in police attempting to take him into custody as he resisted. 

While police were struggling to make the arrest, an unidentified woman ran towards the deputies, ignoring repeated commands to stay back, and interfered with the arrest. 

The woman, later identified as Josie Huang, a member of the press, admitted she was not wearing the proper press credentials to identify herself. 

According to the LA County Sherriffs Office, Both individuals have been arrested for 148 P.C.

 

Share:
Related Posts