PORTLAND, OR – Richard Gillmore was convicted of raping a 13-year-old girl in 1987. He was sentenced to 30 to 60 years. He confessed to 9 other rapes of underage girls, but he was only convicted for one case, thanks to a legal loophole called “statute of limitations.
Gillmore, also known as the “jogger rapist,” is set to be released from prison in December.
In 1987, a jury found him guilty of raping 13-year-old Tiffany Edens, his last known victim, in December 1986. https://t.co/tBdhwPkeM6
— NewsChannel 8 | KTUL (@KTULNews) October 10, 2022
According to Fox News, he got the nickname because he would scout victims while jogging past their homes.
At least two of his victims are unsettled.
And they are justified in their fear and frustration. Gillmore confessed to raping multiple girls in the 70s and 80s.
His victim in the attack that led to his conviction, Tiffany Edens, addressed his release, after she was notified by Oregon’s Victim Information and Notification Service.
She received that heads up via voicemail.
“I have been slowly processing the reality of it all,” Edens wrote on social media.
She was thirteen when Gillmore raped her. He broke into her family’s home in Troutdale.
Danielle Tudor, who claims to be one of the other 9 victims, said she was raped by Gillmore in 1979.
She was also a teenager. She has been extremely vocal in her opposition to his freedom.
“If he had been able to have been charged for all the rapes he committed, he’d never be getting out,” Tudor said.
Adding insult to injury, the state has labeled Gillmore as a sex offender at the lowest risk of reoffending. While he will be required to register as a sex offender, the designation allows him to move into a neighborhood and the state, county and city have no requirement to notify those living near him that he is a sex offender.
Many of his victims are irate at the classification. Tudor for one said she doesn’t understand why the state mad ethe decision it did.
“He was designated as a dangerous offender at trial,” Tudor said.
It seems as though Gillmore has been catching breaks since he was sentenced.
The judge issued an original sentence of at least 30 years, but no more than 60. A year into that conviction, the Oregon parole board cut that sentence in half.
During a two-hour hearing in 2012, board member Jeremiah Stromberg asked Gillmore:
Do you deserve to be paroled?”
The convicted rapists responded through tears.
“No sir. I’ve taken so much from so many people, and I got what I got, and I probably don’t deserve to be paroled.”
Even in 2012, one of the board members voted to grant parole.
Now, he is being paroled a full year before he would have been released for serving his full sentence.
He isn’t being turned loose completely. After being transferred from the Two Rivers Correctional Facility in Umatilla to the minimum-security Columbia River unit to help him prepare for his release, Gillmore will be under supervision until 2034. Should he violate his parole terms in any way, he will go right back to prison.
That is of little consolation to his victims.
Colleen Kelly, another of Gillmore’s victims said after the 2012 hearing:
“It’s not fair if he gets out and we still have to live in fear.”
While Edens was not present at that most recent hearing, her words from Gillmore’s sentencing nearly 40 years ago were reiterated by Multnomah County prosecutor Russ Ratto.
“I have no freedom,” Ratto read to the parole board. “I feel like I have no control over my life. If there is even the smallest possibility that he could do this horrible thing to someone else, then he should never be able to be in society again. That’s all.”
Convicted rapist gets released from prison, then gets arrested on charges of – yup, you guessed it – rape
CHARLOTTE, NC – Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police received a call around 4 am last Thursday. The call stated that a someone was attempting to gain entry to a Daybreak Drive apartment, but they were unsuccessful in that attempt.
Several hours later, they were called again by a person in a different building at that same complex.
The woman on the call said that the man gained access through a window. She told police that he sexually assaulted her. Police say that the woman and the suspect did not know one another.
Police have arrested 28-year-old Robert McFadden, charging him with two counts of first-degree forcible rape, two counts of first-degree sex offense, two counts of first-degree burglary, one count of larceny after breaking and entering, four counts of first-degree kidnapping, four counts of assault on a female, three counts of communicating threats, one count of interfering with emergency communication, and one count of parole violation.
McFadden had just been released from prison after being convicted of sexually assaulting an 83-year-old woman at the Mayfield Memorial Apartment complex.
NC: Robert McFadden, 28, charged with rape, kidnapping 1 day after being released from prison for sexual assault.
Found guilty in 2011 for forcing his way into an 83-year-old woman’s home at the same apartment complex and raping her. https://t.co/lXUk1JHBtN
— Dalton (@DaltonReport) May 28, 2022
According to WSOC, that is the same complex where his most recent victim also lived. She is a 63-year-old woman. She was transported to a local hospital for treatment and evaluation.
The victim that made the first 911 call at 4am said, “I think he’s severely demented.”
Christalline Gainey-Lymon told police she was sleeping when McFadden tried to gain entry to her residence, with the sounds of the attempted break-in waking her up.
“So, I got up on my knees and pulled the curtain back to look at the fan and I (saw) this screen being removed while being pulled away from the frame,” Gainey-Lymon told the Charlotte TV station. “And then I saw this black arm, and I’m, like, ‘Get away from my window.'”
Gainey-Lymon also told WBTV that she believes a more thorough investigation and response from the CMPD could have stopped the subsequent crime from happening.
She claimed that it took at least 20 minutes for police to respond to her early morning call and that they did very little once they arrived.
“He observed the portion of the screen being ripped away from the frame and I said ‘will you please take fingerprints?’ and Officer Stevens told me, ‘we don’t take fingerprints on screens.'”
“They didn’t try to ride through to look and see if anything else was going on, they didn’t try to find the suspect. They just left,” Gainey-Lymon continued.
She also said that the complex manager told her that surveillance video showed McFadden leaving her window and hiding behind another building while police conducted their search of the area, before proceeding to the second victim’s window.
A CMPD spokesperson told the CBS affiliate:
“Two officers responded to the 4 am call and evaluated the scene including the attempted point of entry. The officers circulated the area in attempt to locate possible suspects.”
McFadden, who now has a lifetime registration as a sex offender is still being held in the Mecklenburg County jail.
A public records search revealed that his bond was set at $1.125 million. It also confirmed all twenty of the charges against him.
Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters? Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you. Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories. Click to check it out.
Man arrested in connection with Washington state homicide was released early after violent assault on jail deputies
SEQUIM, WA- Once again, the apparent failure of our criminal justice system has cost someone their life. According to the Peninsula Daily News in Washington, police officers in the town of Sequim were investigating a homicide after receiving a check welfare call.
Responding officers found a woman in the home who was deceased. It was then when officers discovered the suspect involved in the homicide lived in the residence, a press release said.
On Thursday, police made a routine traffic stop in Sequim at approximately 4:31 a.m. A sheriff’s deputy from the Clallam County Sheriff’s Office arrived to assist the officer at about 4:37 a.m., according to Capt. Randy Plumb of the Bremerton Police Department, which is leading the investigation.
At some point during the traffic stop, the Sequim officer fired his duty weapon, Plumb said in a press release. The stop “rapidly escalated and became physical, which then led to gunshot,” according to City of Sequim attorney Kristina Nelson-Gross in a press release.
The suspect was transported to a local hospital for evaluation, and was subsequently released to police custody, Nelson-Gross said. An officer was shot during the exchange of gunfire, however, was not seriously injured. He was treated and released at a local hospital.
The suspect was identified as Bret Allen Kenney, 34, who was arrested on charges of investigation of first-degree assault of a police officer, disarming a law enforcement officer, and DUI drugs, charges levied by the Port Angeles Police Department. Kenney is a suspect in the homicide.
Now, let’s rewind the “way back” machine to 2017, when two corrections officers at the Snohomish County jail in Everett were savagely beaten inside the facility, with one officer being beaten unconscious and suffering broken bones. A second officer was punched repeatedly and struck with his own electronic stun gun, as reported at the time by the HeraldNet.
One other corrections officer, who came to the aid of the other two, was also assaulted by the inmate.
What was the inmate’s name? Bret Allen Kenney. At the time, Snohomish County deputy prosecutor Adam Cornell wrote in court papers that Kenney had “savagely attacked” the officers, also noting that he continued to punch the two officers even as they were down on the ground.
Kenney was charged with two counts of second-degree assault and one count of third-degree assault in connection with the incident. The charge of second-degree assault, had he been convicted, would have carried with it a life sentence without parole under Washington’s persistent offenders’ law.
This was (obviously) not Kenney’s first offense, having been arrested regarding a 2009 robbery and another robbery in 2011. He had received a five year bid for that case, while also racking up two non-strike convictions the previous year.
According to authorities, the assault inside the jail took place at around 1:00 a.m. when Kenney was allowed outside of his cell to walk around the module. Kenney was pacing , however slowed down according to Cornell. When the deputy stopped to look at his watch, Kenney attacked him without being provoked, and “sucker punched him square in the face.”
After the deputy fell to the ground, Kenney continued to pummel him. He initially walked away, however returned and continued the assault when the deputy tried to get up.
“He again brutally attacked him with his fists and continued to do so even after it appeared that (the deputy) was not moving,” Cornell wrote.
That officer suffered injuries which included a broken nose along with other injuries.
When the second deputy came to his co-worker’s aid, Kenney accosted him on the stairs and started punching him, eventually getting him to the ground and continually punching him as he lay on the floor. During the struggle, Kenney grabbed the officer’s stun gun and clocked him with it.
In the Sequim case, Capt. Mike Davis of the Bremerton Police Department would not confirm or deny if anyone was shot in that incident, and refused to identify either the suspect or the officer who was injured.
Nelson-Gross told reporters that in the case of any officer-involved significant use of force, it is required that an independent investigative team take over the investigation.
“Once the Sequim Police Department were notified this incident met those parameters, the Kitsap Critical Incident Response Team Commander was notified,” Nelson-Gross said.
In the 2017 assault on the jail deputies, Kenney was sentenced last November to over six years in prison, HeraldNet wrote. As is typical, a change in Washington State Law made one of the previous robbery convictions ineligible to be counted toward the state’s three strikes law, which removed the possibility of life without parole.
In another clear failure of the criminal justice system, Kenney was released from jail after serving only two months to a community custody program. Laughably, prior to being sentenced for the Snohomish County incident, Kenney wrote the judge claiming he’d “learned a valuable lesson.”
Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.