We have breaking news just in about a shooting inside a church in Pelham, New Hampshire.

Police say multiple people were shot inside the New England Pentecostal Ministries shortly after 10am.  We’re told by sources that the shooter has been arrested.

According to the church’s website, at 9:30am Saturday there was a “men and women meeting” for Domestic Abuse Month.

We’re told multiple ambulances, state and local police are currently on the scene.  At this time, we do not have any confirmation that anyone has been killed.


On October 1, an ordained minister from that church, Luis Garcia, was found shot to death inside a Londonderry home.

Funeral services for him were supposed to be held today at noon at the church, which is located at 955 Bridge St.

We’re told that mourners were arriving at the church when the shooting occurred.

Shortly after the shooting, mourners were turned away and police told them there would be no funeral today.

A 24-year-old Londonderry man, Brandon Castiglione, was arrested in connection with Garcia’s death.  He’s been charged with second-degree murder.  According to Garcia’s family the minister knew Castiglione’s family through the church and that he had been trying to help the younger man.

Garcia’s family members spoke about his character:

“He was a Superman stopped by a bullet.”

Officers from state police, Pelham police and Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Department are on the scene.

Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans?  It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans.  Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice.  Check it out today.

LET Unity

Also this morning, we learned about the tragic death of an Indiana State Trooper in Tippecanoe County. Police say he was killed while on his way to a car accident.

According to Indiana State Police, 27-year-old Trooper Peter R. Stephan was on his way to help another state trooper who had called for back-up at a crash.  That initial accident happened near Americus Township around 10:25 p.m. Friday.

Police said Trooper Stephan was driving his 2018 Dodge Charger police car on Old State Road 25 North, just south of Stair Road.  When he came around a curve, the car ended up going off the road, rolling at least once and hit a utility pole.

EMS personnel rushed to the crash, but Trooper Stephan was pronounced dead at the scene.

He’s the 44th Indiana State Police Trooper to die in the line of duty, and served with the Indiana State Police Department for four years.

He leaves behind a wife and six-month-old daughter.

The Indiana State Police says they are heartbroken.

“This is a tremendously sad day for the entire Indiana State Police family. We will band together as we always do in support of Trooper Stephan’s family, friends and co-workers”, said Indiana State Police Superintendent Douglas G. Carter.

Earlier this morning, we reported another heartbreaking story out of Riesel, Texas.  That’s where a Falls County deputy is dead and the Riesel Police Chief is seriously injured.

It happened Friday afternoon when they were trying to help a driver whose car slid off State Highway 6, just south of Riesel.

Deputy Matt Jones was killed at the scene.  He was identified by Falls County Sheriff Ricky Scaman, who said Jones was a K-9 deputy who had been with the sheriff’s office four years.

Matt Jones (Falls County Sheriff’s Department)

Matt Jones (Falls County Sheriff’s Department)

“Mere words cannot express the loss we feel in our hearts, ” said Scaman, “We have lost a brother, a friend, a husband, and a servant of our community. And with that, we mourn.”


Scaman said that the deputy’s K-9 partner, Thor, was not injured during the crash. The K-9 is now being taken care of by Jones’ family.

Police Chief Danny Krumnow was rushed to Baylor Scott & White Hillcrest Medical Center in Waco in critical condition, then later flown to Scott and White Hospital in Temple, where he had his spleen removed in an emergency surgery. 

Danny Krumnow (City of Riesel)

Danny Krumnow (City of Riesel)

He’s now listed in stable condition, also suffering from a dislocated knee and eight to nine broken ribs.

“His family is with him and they thank everyone who has expressed their thoughts and concerns,” Swanton said, “The Krumnow family is heartbroken by today’s incident and their thoughts are also with the family of Deputy Matt Jones, his family, and the Falls County Sheriff’s Office.”

There was a procession of law enforcement officers to escort Jones’ body to Mesquite, Texas, where an autopsy will be performed at American Forensics.

“This is a tragic situation for everybody,” said Department of Public Safety Sergeant Ryan Howard.

He said they are all heartbroken.

“It hits close to home,” Howard said. “I just lost a brother in the line of duty.”

According to Howard, Krumnow and Jones were helping the driver just before 2 p.m. at State Highway 6 and County Road 109 south of Riesel.  He said that’s when they were hit by a Mazda sedan that hydroplaned.

That driver was also hurt and brought to a local hospital, but at this point no more details have been released on that individual.

The highway was closed for four hours while police investigated, and didn’t reopen until shortly after 6 p.m.

Falls County Sheriff Ricky Scaman has since released the following statement:

Earlier this afternoon, my K-9 Deputy… Deputy Matt Jones was assisting a motorist on Hwy 6 along with the Riesel Chief of Police, Danny Krumnow. As these officers do daily, they were serving our community and protecting the lives and property of citizens they may not have even known.

During the assist, a vehicle hydroplaned due to the wet road conditions and struck the officers. My K-9 Deputy Matt Jones, who has been with our office for 4 years was struck and killed in the collision. Chief Krumnow was transported to a local hospital for treatment. Deputy Jones K-9 partner, THOR was not injured during the incident. THOR is now in the care of the Jones family.

Tragedy came to our county today and has taken the life of one of our brothers, K-9 Deputy Matt Jones. Mere words cannot express the loss we feel in our hearts. We have lost a brother, a friend, a husband, and a servant of our community. And with that, we mourn…

In addition, we send our thoughts and prayers to Chief Krumnow as he begins his healing process.

We thank our Law Enforcement community for their rapid response to assist us and the investigation into what happened is on-going. I will divert any questions about that investigation to the Texas Department of Public Safety. We will have additional information available at a later time about services for our friend and brother, Deputy Matt Jones.

It’s been more than 46 years since a Falls County deputy died in the line of duty.

The last loss was on Aug. 21, 1973, when Deputies Elbert Watkins and Dean Humphus were shot to death while trying to serve a commitment order.

But he’s the third deputy in Falls County to die in the past four years.

On November 1, 2015, Marlin police Chief Darrell Allen was shot and critically wounded during a struggle with a man.  That happened while he was working security at a bar in Temple.  He died 9 days at Scott & White Hospital in Temple where he’d been in critical condition since the shooting.

On August 23, Nathan Sodek, who was named Marlin’s police chief in October 2018, shot himself to death. It happened just as Texas Rangers arrived at his home in Bruceville-Eddy.  They were there to serve warrants charging sexual assault and official oppression.

The passing of this deputy was also the first line-of-duty law enforcement death since November 2017 in Central Texas.

On November 4, 2017, Senior DPS Trooper Thomas Nipper, 63, was killed when a pickup crashed into his patrol car.  That happened during a traffic stop on Interstate 35 in Temple.

And on November 23, 2017, Trooper Damon Allen, 41, was shot to death after a traffic stop on Interstate 45 near Fairfield.

When a celebrity gets a paper cut, the media provides wall to wall coverage.  When we lose someone who protects our communities or our country?  Barely a peep.

That’s once again the case as we say goodbye to two incredible police officers.  And so it’s up to all of us to honor their memories.

The first was U.S. Border Patrol Agent Robert Hotten, who was killed in the line of duty on Sunday night in Santa Cruz County, Arizona.  And to make matters worse, it happened when he was trying to find a group of suspected illegal aliens who had tripped a border ground sensor.

The 44-year-old agent was one of three  who responded to the Mount Washington area of the Coronado National Forest.  They got the call after the sensor was activated 1 p.m. on Oct.6 – with an indication that there were seven suspected illegal aliens were in the area.

He stopped responding to radio transmissions while searching the remote terrain, which lead to a search from his fellow agents.

They found him around 4:15 p.m. and was unresponsive – he’s believed to have fallen and hit his head on rocks while searching for the people who snuck into the country.

For more than two hours, they administered medical aid and performed CPR on him while trying to carry Agent Hotten a quarter mile to an area where an emergency medical helicopter would be able to land.

“These are very steep mountaintops, there were rocks, its uneven ground, high grass…” Tucson Chief Patrol Agent Roy Villareal said. “The effort put forth by the agents was heroic.”

The helicopter rushed him to the airport in Nogales, where he was then taken to a local hospital where he was declared dead.

The FBI is still investigating his exact cause of death.  One of the illegals was arrested and is currently being questioned by the agency.

More than 10 years.  That’s how long Agent Hotten served the U.S. Border Patrol.  He was assigned to the Tucson Sector at the time of his death.

“On behalf of the U.S. Border Patrol, Tucson Sector, I want to thank the responding agents and emergency response personnel who worked attentively to render aid and secure medical assistance,” Chief Villareal said.  “Our deepest sympathies are extended to Agent Robert M. Hotten’s family, friends, and colleagues.  I ask that you keep Agent Hotten’s loved ones in your thoughts and prayers.”

Agent Hotten is survived by his wife, son, brother, and mother.

And we lost another officer on Wednesday, when Police Captain Edward “Marti” Garrow of North Ridgeville, Ohio passed away.

He died after a brief battle with cancer.

“We lost another good one,” the NRPD said. “It doesn’t quite seem real… but for as horrible as cancer is it gives you a wonderful gift. It allows you to say goodbye. It allows you to make amends and say things that need to be said before regrets are cemented for eternity.”

His obituary read: 

“Passed away peacefully at home surrounded by his family.”

The 52-year-old captain’s career with the NRPD began in December of 1989 and served the department for some 30 years.

During his time there, he worked as a field training officer, crisis intervention team member, crash re-constructionist, detective bureau supervisor, and emergency vehicle driving instructor, his department said.  On top of that, he was a graduate of the Federal Bureau of Investigation National Academy (FBINA).

“Marti was always bigger than life and a true icon here… a true leader,” the NRPD said. “More than all of that though, Marti was a good human. He was doing this job for the right reasons and he taught a lot of us things that we carry to this day.”

North Ridgeville Mayor David Gillock weighed in on his death, describing him as a “cop’s cop” and saying that Capt. Garrow was a valued member of the community and the department.

“His relationship with us has always been really great,” the mayor added. “He served the residents. He was in it for the right reasons and we saw that every day.”

North Ridgeville Police Chief Mike Freeman also spoke about Capt. Garrow.  He called him a “very educated officer,” who “took his duties seriously”.

The NRPD said Capt. Garrow coached kids’ wrestling in his off-time.  He and his wife were the founders of the still-active Columbia Youth Wrestling Club, the department said.

“Marti was a proud family man,” the department said. “His wife, Robin and he had four boys [Shane, Sean, Corey, and Hayden] that are all equally good humans and made him proud every day. The duty to serve runs deep in the family with Shane serving as a United States Marine and Corey serving as soldier in the United States Army.”

Capt. Garrow leaves behind his grandson, parents, and siblings.

“We are going to miss Marti tremendously but he died knowing how much he was loved,” the NRPD said. “So long, Marti. Watch over us, now just as you did in life. Our passenger seats are always open brother.”

Last week, we lost three more incredible officers… also with barely any media coverage.

Wichita Police Detective Matthew Young

Wichita Police Detective Matthew Young

Wichita Police Department (WPD) Detective Matthew “Matt” Young passed away after a long fight with cancer.

“It is with great sadness for us to report that the Wichita Police Department has lost one of its finest members, Detective Matt Young,” the WPD said in a Facebook post later that day. “Matt passed away this morning from his tough battle with cancer.”

In January, Det. Young was diagnosed with late-stage pancreatic cancer.

He spoke to the media about it in March. 

“I was pretty devastated, honestly,” the 49-year-old detective said. “I mean, the thoughts start going through your head about my daughters that I’m not going to walk down the aisle and give away at their wedding, basketball games, things that I’m going to miss…anniversaries with my wife.”

His career began when he was hired by the Emporia Police Department in 1994, then he joined the WPD in 2000.  

He spent the next 19 years serving as a patrol officer, honor guard member, bomb squad member, and Sex and Domestic Violence Division detective.

“He cared deeply for the people he served and for the men and women in blue he had the honor to serve beside,” his obituary read.

According to Wichita Police Chief Gordon Ramsay, the department has “suffered a great loss” with the detective’s passing.

“Matt put up a strong fight against cancer and his smile, helpful nature, work ethic and leadership are going to be missed by everyone,” Chief Ramsay said. “We continue to keep his family, friends and colleagues in our thoughts and prayers.”

His obituary said he leaves behind his “high school sweetheart” and wife of 25 years, Laurie, as well as his children, Rebecca, McKenzie, Makenna, Maranda, Maryn, Michael, and Marcus… and is also survived by his parents, siblings, two grandchildren, and many friends and extended family members.

“Matt will forever be missed for his love and dedication to his family and to our department,” the WPD said.

Prince George’s County Police Cpl. Marquette Turner

Prince George’s County Police Cpl. Marquette Turner

We also learned this week about the passing of Prince George’s County Police Department (PGCPD) Corporal Marquette Turner in Maryland.

His department said he died on Sept. 29 after suffering a medical emergency.

“The Prince George’s County Police family is mourning the loss of one of our own,” the department said in a Facebook post. “Corporal Marquette Turner died Sunday morning during a medical emergency.”


He died at Southern Maryland Hospital, according to the Prince George’s County Police Retired Association (PGCPRA) in a Facebook post.

He was a Washington, D.C. native.  Before joining PGCPD 16 years ago, he served in the U.S. Army.

He was described as a “well-liked, dedicated officer,” who spent most of his career assigned to the Patrol Bureau’s District IV station in Oxon Hill.

“He loved serving others in the military and as a police officer and he truly loved the Washington Redskins,” the PGCPD said.

He’s survived by his four children, as well as his mother, siblings, and many family members, along with “his family here at the Prince George’s County Police Department,” the agency said.

“We offer our deepest condolences to his entire family,” the department said.

NYPD Officer Derrick Bishop

NYPD Officer Derrick Bishop

We also learned this week about the passing of NYPD Officer Derrick Bishop, who lost his battle with 9/11 related cancer on September 19.

The retired New York Police Department officer devoted 21 years of his life to the department.

His sister, Jeaneen Bishop, said the 60-year-old had been diagnosed with prostate and thyroid cancer after having worked at Ground Zero post 9/11.

Jeaneen now works as a police aide with the Irvington Police Department in New Jersey.  She told media outlets that her brother was the first member of their family to serve as a law enforcement officer.

“He’s the oldest brother in the family,” she said. “He initiated it all. We’re very proud.”

He worked in the NYPD’s 71st Precinct.

“It was a great, great loss,” Jeaneen said.

Officer Bishop retired in 2003 then later took a job as a security guard at a bottling facility in East New York.

The media reported about how he was working his midnight security detail in the predawn hours one night in 2014 when he was confronted by an armed carjacker.

“I looked at him, and I see his hands and see he has a 9mm pointed at my face,” the retired officer told the New York Post at the time. “Then he told me he’s going to blow my brains out, he would shoot me in the face if I didn’t hand him my money.”

According to the report, Officer Bishop handed over his valuables, but the carjacker wasn’t done.

“He kept saying, ‘That’s all the –k you got? I’m gonna kill you, I’m gonna shoot you,’” he told the news outlet.

Ultimately, Officer Bishop drew his own weapon and shot his attacker four times in the neck and chest – the man later died at Brookdale Hospital.

“It’s not a good feeling to shoot anybody,” Officer said with tears streaming down his face. “It was just something that happened. I didn’t want to die. I wanted to be able to see my kids and my wife.”

According to Jeaneen, the grief her brother experienced after the shooting was heartbreaking.

Officer Bishop leaves behind his wife, Patricia, and his daughters, Chanel and Dominique, as well as his mother and brother in addition to his sister.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First