Man trying to break into home finds grandma armed with a shotgun – holds him until police arrive


SPANAWAY, WA – A 78-year-old woman heard her dog barking late at night on September 20th, and went to investigate, shotgun in hand.  When she did, she found a man breaking into her home and she held him until police arrived.

The incident happened in Spanaway, Washington, earlier this month.  The woman, identified only as Sandy, heard her dog Booboo barking and knew something was not right. 

Sandy went to investigate what was happening and opened her door to find a man standing right in front of her. 

Sandy said:

“I opened my door, and standing right 2, 3 feet in front of me was a man.  We looked at each other for a few seconds, and he turned and started to leave.  And I said, ‘Oh no, you don’t.  You stay right there!

“I reached over and got my shotgun.  And I cocked it, and I told him to stay right there.  Told him to go sit on the steps.  I followed him out, and I just stood here with the shotgun waiting for the police to come.”

This tough lady held the man at gunpoint until police arrived.  Sandy said that she did so because she knew that there had been a spike in crime in her neighborhood recently.  Not knowing if this man was responsible or not, she was not going to let him leave without talking with the police.

Sandy mentioned that she had first gotten the shotgun many years ago to protect her family as she was a single mother.  Sandy said she was nervous when she first produced the gun, but later felt calm. 

She said:

“But then I was totally calm, really and truly.  I thought, ‘This is amazing!’ I said, ‘You know, I’ve got grandchildren your age!’

“After he was so meek and mild and sat down like I told him to do?  It was empowering.  I felt like at least I was in charge.  I wasn’t afraid.”

While waiting for the police she decided to interrogate the would-be burglar.  Although she did not reveal specifics of what they talked about, she hopes the incident has changed him.

The Pierce County Sheriff’s Office responded and met with the man.  According to deputies, when asked by them what he was doing he said:

“He was looking for his wife and talked how God had sent him.”

It is unknown if the man was suffering from some type of mental illness.  However, his thought of God sending him may be quite sane.  After all, he encountered a tough lady who chose not to shoot him, which may well have been God’s way of showing him the path he was on, and hopefully leading him to a new one.

Deputies were able to take the man into custody for the attempted break-in and praised Sandy for her quick actions that may well have saved her life.  When speaking of the incident, Sandy just said that she was thankful no one, including the man, was harmed.

Sandy, in her kindness after an event like that, decided that she would not pursue charges against the man.  As a result, deputies released him after they determined that he did not seem to be under the influence of anything nor a danger to himself. 

We can all hope that this man truly saw the light and stops his criminal actions.  As for Sandy, Law Enforcement Today is proud of her standing up for her rights and refusing to be a victim. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

 In another case of don’t mess with grandma, a 75-year-old patriotic woman in Limestone County, Alabama, helped capture a suspected car thief on Monday, September 21st.

Police say she held him at gunpoint until deputies arrived. Marcia Black, a grandmother of four, told WAAY:

“I walked out and said, ‘Can I help you?’ And he said, ‘yes ma’am, I’d like to use your phone.’”

According to police, she was talking to Cameron Powers, who they say had been on the run for some four hours after crashing a stolen car during a high-speed chase with deputies near Black’s home in Limestone County.

She said:

“I was just calm as could be. I knew what I was doing. I was in control.”

Black said she had a conversation with Powers from her front porch, keeping him in the sights of her hunting rifle.

She continued:

“I wanted to keep him at a distance. I didn’t intend to kill him. I just wanted him to think that I would shoot him.”

She said he made the mistake of inching closer to the home, which put her on edge, given that two of her grandchildren were inside watching after calling 911.

Black explains what happened next, saying:

“He wouldn’t get down, so I shot in the air, and he realized I meant business, so he got down on his knees.” 

Shortly after, deputies arrived – and THAT scared him.

She said:

“He feared the deputy more than he feared my rifle. And he jumped up and ran zig-zag right across the field.”

He didn’t get far. Police quickly caught the suspect and cuffed him. Black’s 15-year-old granddaughter, Allie Ruth Black, is proud of her grandma’s fearless resolve.

She went on:

“It’s just amazing to me that I got to witness my grandmother in action.” 

Powers landed at the Limestone County jail on a $6,000 bond, charged with auto theft and attempting to elude.

Said Black of her encounter:

“It’s just another day. If something happens, you take care of it and that’s it.”

Marcia Black is the mother of Limestone County District Three Commissioner Jason Black and Allie Ruth is his daughter.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts