Governor announces investigation into Baltimore City State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby’s office, threatens to withhold funding

Share:

BALTIMORE, MD – In the midst of an ongoing severe crime wave in Baltimore, Maryland Governor Larry Hogan has announced an investigation into Baltimore City State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby’s office, threatening to withhold state funding pending results of the investigation.

Mosby raised some eyebrows earlier this year when she announced that the City of Baltimore would cease prosecuting “low-level” crimes, including drug possession and prostitution.

In the aftermath of this decision, as we previously reported, area businesses in the ensuing months threatened to withhold taxes in the face of Baltimore’s “culture of lawlessness,” arguing that non-prosecution of low-level crimes “invariabl[y]” leads to violent crime. 

Baltimore surpassed a sobering milestone in November 2021.  For the seventh year in a row, the city has now seen over 300 homicides.

According to CBS Baltimore, just in the last 10 days, homicide victims have included “barber, a church employee, a 5-year-old girl and a 13-year-old girl.”

Referring to these recent homicides, Governor Hogan said in a November 23 press conference:

“The murders, shootings, and out-of-control violent crime in the streets of Baltimore has [sic] long been the most urgent issue facing the city.

“But the latest string of heinous crimes over the past few weeks have been particularly disturbing, and it has shaken city residents and community leaders to the core.”

He added:

“The people of Baltimore are hurting.  They’re scared, and they’re searching for answers. They want to know why this bloodshed keeps happening, and what it’s going to take for something to finally change. 

“This horrifying violence is tearing Baltimore City apart, and enough is enough.”

Hogan continued with an announcement that he had directed the Maryland State Police and all state law enforcement agencies to assist the Baltimore Police Department, and had increased Crime Stoppers rewards.

In addition, Hogan noted that his office had fast-tracked an additional $10 million into neighborhood safety, in the form of “lighting, cameras, hardware upgrades, and increased security services” for vulnerable communities, houses of worship, and other entities.

Hogan also announced that he will be introducing emergency legislation in December “to require tougher sentencing for violent offenders.”

Furthermore, Hogan took aim at the office of Baltimore City State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby.

He stated:

“As I have repeatedly said, we also need a prosecutor who will actually prosecute violent criminals.

“Our residents deserve transparency and accountability.  

“And they, and all Maryland taxpayers, deserve to know that the millions of dollars in funding that the state provides each year are being used to actually prosecute criminals and to keep them off the streets.”

Hogan next announced that he would withhold state funding pending an investigation, saying:

“Effective immediately, I am directing the Office of Crime Prevention, Youth and Victim Services, to conduct a top-to-bottom evaluation of all funding provided to the … Baltimore City State’s Attorney’s office.

“All of that state funding will remain pending until that office provides complete data regarding the number of cases they have chosen not to prosecute, and why, the number of cases pled down to lesser charges, and the number of violent offenders who were given plea deals.”

Also on November 23, 2021, Glenn Fueston, Executive Director Governor’s Office of Crime Prevention, Youth, and Victim Services sent a letter on behalf of Governor Hogan to Mosby.

The letter detailed the information the Governor’s office required, as follows:

“The public deserves to know that the funds allocated to your office are being used to vigorously prosecute criminals and keep them off our streets. We cannot measure the effectiveness of this investment without clear, consistent, and measurable performance data from funding recipients. 

“To provide a more complete picture, we are requesting that you disclose additional information, including:

    • The number of cases your office has chosen not to prosecute, including a breakdown of the reasons for non-prosecution (nolle prosequi, STET, dismissed, etc.)  
    • The number of cases plead down to lesser charges, including plea agreements reached that are less than mandatory minimum sentencing guidelines  
    • The number of repeat offenders who were offered plea deals.

“We ask that your office provide this data by Dec. 30, and commit to publishing it at regular intervals going forward. GOCPYVS will be placing all funding for your office under evaluation pending the fulfilment of this request and review of the data produced.”

Mosby responded with a press conference of her own on November 23, and she appeared to be none too pleased with Hogan’s remarks.

Calling Hogan’s press conference a “political stunt,” she stated:

“I want to be clear, that as State’s Attorney for Baltimore City, I’ve never said that I would not prosecute violent offenders or violent crime in the City of Baltimore.”

She added:

“Had the Governor set aside his philosophical differences and chosen to meet or even to talk to me, I would have been happy to show him the data that he’s now making contingent on my office’s funding. 

“In fact, a great deal of the information that the Governor is seeking is already published on my website.”

She went on to say:

“My office has had an overall 97% conviction rate….

“I’ll provide the Governor anything he desires, because I know how much my prosecutors do for this city.”

Mosby continued:

“My prosecutors take violent crime seriously and so do I. 

“I met with the devastated daughter whose mother was killed in a church last week.

“When I leave here today, I’m going to meet with the parents of the 13-year-old girl that was killed last week.  That little girl was my baby.  She was a part of my ‘Great Expectations Program’ that focuses on children in city schools.

“And for the Governor to put on a show today,  and to exploit the very real pain of our city residents, as part of his political stunt, is disgraceful and unacceptable.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Priest pistol-whipped, beaten and robbed in police-defunded Baltimore

Originally published November 20, 2021

BALTIMORE, MD – Of all occupations in this world, one would think being a priest or a nun should make you safe.  After all, they are chosen by God to serve.

However, in this case, at least in Baltimore, a priest at Little Italy’s Saint Leo’s Catholic Church was beaten and robbed by an unknown assailant.

The priest in question, Father Bernard Carman, was headed into his church on November 12th when the attack occurred. The Father said that an unknown man and woman approached him and began demanding his wallet. When he refused, the man pulled a gun and demanded again. Father Carman said:

“I said no and that’s when the guy pulled a gun and said give me your wallet. He just kept repeating it.”

While the victim had no intention of giving up his wallet, the suspect also had no intention of leaving the robbery empty-handed.

The suspect struck the priest and began searching his person looking for any valuables that he may be carrying. The suspect stole the priest’s wallet while the unknown female took his cellular phone. Both fled in a new model sedan. Father Carman said:

“Something inside me said you’re going to be okay. I still resisted him, and that’s when he hit me on the side of the head and I started to go down.”

Father Carman was able to receive help shortly after the incident as paramedics and police were notified. Father Carmen was able to be treated and released for a laceration on his head.

Being thankful that he was not more seriously injured, Father Carman said that he was surprised the suspect did not shoot him. He said:

“I was surprised they didn’t shoot because that would have been possible. The man pointed the gun at me, but instead of firing, he hit me with it.”

Father Carman, who is unable to identify his assailants, had this message for them:

“My message is that they should consider a change of life and look at things differently and realize that doing violence and crime just makes a bad situation worse.”

The Father also said that he has forgiven his attackers and urges others to do the same. He said:

“Our calling is to be better – to be different and follow the Lord and what he did. At the very worst moment of his life, hanging on the cross, not only did he say, ‘Father, forgive them,’ but he event made an excuse saying they don’t know what they’re doing.”

Crime in the area around the church has seen an uprising in violent crime over the last year, like many other large metropolitan cities. The Father noted that he was aware of a few violent incidents in the area, but he had never been subject to them before. Father Carman spoke about being a man of faith while being attacked:

“I don’t know how much any kind of religion or faith entered into it. If it entered in much they wouldn’t do it. I don’t know if that’s much of a factor. It’s that’s a person, I’m going to get what I want.”

For now, Father Carman is taking it easy, while going right back to the job he was called to do. When asked about his progress, he said:

“The injury on the top of my head is far, far better. I’m just coming down from the experience. I need to take the time to process it and heal.”

For now, the Baltimore Police Department has not released any details if they have been able to identify the suspects from the vague description provided by Father Carman.

__________________

Editor note: In 2020, we saw a nationwide push to “defund the police”.  While we all stood here shaking our heads wondering if these people were serious… they cut billions of dollars in funding for police officers.  And as a result, crime has skyrocketed – all while the same politicians who said “you don’t need guns, the government will protect you” continued their attacks on both our police officers and our Second Amendment rights.

And that’s exactly why we’re launching this national crowdfunding campaign as part of our efforts to help “re-fund the police”.

For those looking for a quick link to get in the fight and support the cause, click here.

___________________

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
 
Facebook Follow First
Share:
Submit a Correction
Related Posts