Good Samaritan stabbed to death at grocery store after intervening when suspect punched teen girl


BERWYN, IL- According to authorities, a good Samaritan was stabbed to death at a Berwyn grocery store on Friday morning, April 23rd after the suspect punched a 14-year-old girl.

Officials stated that just before 10:15 a.m., police were dispatched to Valle’s Produce, located at 6300 Cermak Road on reports of a fight. When police arrived on scene, they observed a man lying on the floor near the check-out area suffering multiple stab wounds.

Additional officers were directed to a nearby alley where they located another man who was also stabbed. After a preliminary investigation, police believe that a 14-year-old girl went up to her mother, who was working as a cashier and asked her how much a bottle of water was.

Police believe that after that, a man became irate and accused the teenage girl of cutting the line. The irate man began swearing at her and after the girl said she was not cutting, the man punched her several times in the face.

The mother attempted to intervene to stop the man from assaulting her daughter, but she was struck in the head and the ear. A good Samaritan, since identified as 32-year-old Humberto Guzman, intervened to protect the woman and her daughter from being assaulted further.

The suspect stopped hitting the teenage girl, began to walk out of the store and then circled back and stabbed the good Samaritan multiple times. Guzman was transported to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead a short time later.

Relatives stated that Guzman worked for Vitner’s and was on a delivery at the time of the attack. Family said that Guzman was a lovable husband and a new father with a daughter who is just six months old. 

The suspect, since identified as Fernando Barrios, was arrested on the 2300 block of Cuyler Avenue. Reportedly, another good Samaritan attempted to stop the suspect and was stabbed in an alley.

This individual suffered non-life threatening injuries. Chief of Police Micheal Cimaglia said in a statement:

“This is a tragic incident in which a good Samaritan, a true hero, placed himself into danger in an effort to protect a teenage child and her mother.”

Tania Najera, who works at the nearby las Quecas, witnessed the aftermath of the incident. Najera said:

“It was crazy a lot of commotion, people coming in and out. I feel really unsafe, to know that there’s people out there to punch on a girl and her mom.”

Nearby business owner Jesus Salazar said:

“Pulling out a knife and injuring two individuals and killing one of them, obviously there’s something not right with that individual.”

The chief stated:

“He started punching her. The mother tried to intervene and protect her child and then the mother got punched.”

Barrios has been charged with first-degree murder and attempted murder. Police said that Barrios has no history of violent crime and they are not aware of any previous disputes at Valle’s.

The teenage girl was treated for her injuries at a nearby hospital. This is still an active investigation and anyone with information is asked to call investigators at 708-795-2160. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

After seeing woman stabbed repeatedly, group of good Samaritans rush in to stop attack and save her life

April 8th, 2021
MICHIGAN CITY, IN– According to authorities, a Michigan woman who was being repeatedly stabbed by a man was rescued by a group of good Samaritans who witnessed the attack and took it upon themselves to intervene and help save the woman’s life.

The Times reported that police were called out at 3:29 a.m. to the 1000 block of East Michigan Boulevard where they found two people with significant injuries. The preliminary investigation determined that a 55-year-old woman was outside a home in the area when a 67-year-old man approached her.

The man and woman reportedly had a brief conversation and then he attacked her, stabbing her repeatedly. The violent act drew the attention of a group of people who were nearby and witnessed the man’s assault on the woman.

Michigan City police said:

“A group of people in the area came to the victim’s aid after witnessing what took place.”

The good Samaritans confronted the suspect and prevented the man from further injuring the woman. According to reports, the suspect suffered severe head injuries. Both the victim and the suspect were taken to the hospital to be treated for their injuries.

The following release was issued by the Michigan City Police Department:

“Officers conducted interviews, canvased the area of video surveillance, and collected evidence at the scene. Additional information pertaining to this incident will not be released at this time in order to protect the integrity of this ongoing investigation.”

The statement added:

“Other first responders who assisted with this incident were Corporal Kelley Kennedy, Officer Matthew Babcock, Officer Daniel Revoir, Officer Isaac Murray, Officer Douglas Balon, the Michigan City Fire Department and LaPorte County EMS.”

The Michigan City Police Department asks anyone who may have witnessed this incident, has any additional information, or has video surveillance/cell phone video of this incident, to contact Detective Corporal Marty Corley at (219)-874-3221, extensions 1073 or [email protected]

In Syracuse, New York, a 23-year-old woman was stabbed in the leg and hand after a fight early morning on Wednesday, April 7th. Authorities said officers responded to a call at about 1:50 a.m. in the 3200 block of James Street.

The victim, Julia Barreto, arrived at St Joesph’s hospital in a private vehicle and the suspect was identified as 29-year-old Samantha Trumble. Police said Trumble allegedly stabbed the victim during a physical alteration between the two.

Trumble was arrested and charged with Assault in the second-degree and Criminal Possession of a Weapon in the fourth degree. She was being held at the Onondaga County Justice Center.

In Cambria County, Pennsylvania, investigators said that a woman who was found stabbed to death on Tuesday morning, April 6th, was killed by a man whom she met on Facebook Marketplace to buy a fridge for her boyfriend. 

26-year-old Joshua Gorgone has been arrested and charged with criminal homicide in the slaying of 54-year-old Denise Williams. Investigators said Williams was found with multiple stab wounds in Gorgone’s apartment after her family reported her missing the evening before.

They said they were able to find Williams by tracking her phone and by receiving crucial information from a Facebook account that was provided by Williams’ family. An autopsy was performed and confirmed that Williams had died from massive blood loss caused by stab wounds.

Cambria County Coroner Jeff Lees said that the autopsy also revealed defensive wounds indicating there was a struggle before she was killed. Investigators said that they do not believe Williams and Gorgone knew each other and they are now providing a warning to the public regarding meeting in person to make purchases. 

District Attorney Greg Neugebauer said in a statement:

“Use caution when you’re dealing with anybody or anything involving purchasing something through the internet, meeting up with someone. Don’t go alone. Don’t invite someone to your house alone to look at something. Always have someone with you or if possible, meet in a public or well-lit place.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Florida man arrested for stabbing a person who was asking for food at KFC

March 6th, 2021

FORT. LAUDERDALE, FL – According to police, a 27-year-old man is facing attempted murder charges after allegedly beating and stabbing a man who was asking for food inside of a KFC in Ft. Lauderdale on February 24th. 

According to reports, an unidentified male victim had entered a KFC restaurant in Ft. Lauderdale at around noon on February 24th, and had approached 27-year-old Branden Dion Pearson, asking Pearson for some food. 

Pearson had reportedly refused to give the man food, and allegedly began to berate the man thereafter. Both Pearson and the man were said to have began insulting each other back and forth – and the situation then allegedly escalated into a fist fight. 

An employee inside of the KFC reportedly injected themselves into the situation, getting Pearson and the man separated from each other. However, the man who’d asked for food earlier was said to have picked up rocks in the parking lot and began throwing them at Pearson.

Pearson then allegedly walked outside of the KFC and shoved the man to the ground, at which point the man was said to have tried kicking Pearson.

Police say that Pearson then produced a knife and stabbed the man in the head, thereafter walking back inside of the KFC to wait for police to arrive. 

Branden Dion Pearson - Broward County Jail
Branden Dion Pearson – Broward County Jail

Apparently Pearson was seemingly cooperative with police, allegedly telling authorities that he’d stabbed the victim due to him reportedly throwing rocks at him earlier. 

The latest reports on the incident state that the stabbing victim was treated at a nearby hospital. As for Pearson, he’s reportedly being held on a $50,000 bond at the Broward County jail. 

In other recent incidents coming from Florida, a 74-year-old man was reportedly  found dead in a pond on a golf course on February 28th. Authorities suspect that the man drowned while trying to retrieve a lost golf ball in the water. 

The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office dive team had located the body of Hermilo Jazmines inside of a pond at the East Lake Woodlands Country Club, according to officials. 

Apparently, Jazmines was out golfing with a friend on February 28th at the country club, when the deceased had hit their ball into the water on the course’s third hole. 

The last time that Jazmines was ever seen alive was while he was searching for his ball near the water. 

Prior to authorities discovering his body, authorities honed in on the pond where Jazmines’ putter laid next to – not far from the path where his golf cart was still parked. 

Jazmines’ body was said to have been submerged in the water near that location. 

As of this time, authorities have no reason to suspect that there was any foul play, as the evidence indicates that Jazmines’ death was the result of an unfortunate accident.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In more positive reports coming from the Sunshine State, we at Law Enforcement Today recently shared the story of a sanitation worker that is being credited with saving the life of a 7-year-old boy who’d apparently gotten dumped into the garbage truck’s rear refuse holder.

Here’s that previous report. 


TAMPA, FL- A Florida sanitation worker pulled a 7-year-old boy from the back of a garbage truck after learning that the child hid in a trash can and was dumped into the vehicle.

According to reports, Waldo Fidele, who works for Waste Connections of Florida Operations in Tampa, was loading waste into an automated trash collection truck when he saw a young boy in his surveillance camera. 

The young boy, identified as Elias Quezada, hid inside of a garbage can and within a few minutes, the garbage truck arrived at his house in north Tampa. His grandmother, who was inside the house, heard him scream. Carmen Salazar told FOX 13:

“I thought that Elias was under the wheels. That he had been hit or something.”

She added:

“In a minute he went out and the next thing I hear is the sound of the truck and a guy screaming.”

In reality, the garbage truck had picked up the can that Elias was hiding in and had dumped it all into the back of the truck. When asked if he was scared, Elias said:

“Yes because I thought I was going to be a mashed potato.”

Fidele and his quick thinking saved the boy’s life. As the arm of the truck was picking up the can, Fidele checked his surveillance camera and saw Elias get dumped in. With no time to spare, he deactivated the blade that is used to chop up the refuse. Fidele said:

“Looking on camera I see something drop.”

Elias said:

“I was thinking this might be the end for me.”

After Fidele cut off the blade, he called 911. He said:

“I come outside. I see him, he seemed happy, happy! I said ok, you’re ok now.”

Elias and his grandmother are grateful for Fidele and his quick actions that saved his life. Salazar said:

“I’m very thankful that he was looking at that camera at that time and he acted so fast because otherwise, he wouldn’t be here.”

Fidele said:

“It was a bad day for me. I was scared.”

However, thanks to Fidele’s quick thinking, a bad situation turned out to be a very good day because of his life-saving actions. 

Shawn Plunkett, operations manager for Waste Connections told the Tampa Bay Times that the actions saved Elias from being fatally crushed. He said in a statement:

“He’s truly a hero. If he hadn’t been paying close attention to the job, we would all be searching for a missing 7-year-old today”

Plunkett added:

“The truck instantly treats trash like a garbage disposal does. Then after it is in the truck, it heads straight to an incendiary. Nobody would have ever known what happened to him.”

Kurt Salac, the director of Fidele’s company, describe what happened as being nothing short of a miracle. He said:

“Waste management workers are often the unsung heroes of a community. But we believe this action deserves some praise from everyone.”

FOX 13 asked Elias if he would ever jump into another garbage can after the death-defying episode. He said no, but added:

“Unless it’s like a tiny trash can that’s inside the house. That might be fine.”


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First


Related Posts