Georgia officer shot in the neck during pursuit of murder suspect near airport


COLLEGE PARK, GA- An officer was shot in the neck in Georgia on Saturday while chasing a murder suspect.

A license plate reader picked up on a vehicle associated with the murder a little before noon and alerted police. When they responded to stop the vehicle, the chase was on and went from College Park to an intersection near the Atlanta airport, at North Outer Loop Road and Toffie Terrace.

At some point during the incident, the suspect exited the vehicle and started shooting at officers. College Park Sgt. Charles Landrum was shot in the neck at that point. He is in the hospital recovering after having the bullet removed, and he’s expected to survive his injuries.

The suspect, 33-year old Edward Lee Cherry, got back into the vehicle after shooting and continued to flee.  Cherry crashed the vehicle in the1200 block of Virginia Avenue in Atlanta, where he was taken into custody.

Cherry was shot in the arm by police during the shooting incident and was taken to the hospital for treatment before being transported to jail. He was wanted for a murder that occurred Friday evening in Clayton County, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

Another officer was injured by a suspect this week, this time in Appleton, Colorado. Law Enforcement Today brought you that story; keep reading if you missed it.

An officer in Wisconsin is lucky to be alive today after he was ambushed by a man with a large kitchen knife and stabbed multiple times.

The officer, whose name has not been released, was on patrol, driving in a marked police car, early Tuesday morning around 2am when he noticed a vehicle following him for “an extended distance.”

He started driving towards the police department and called the vehicle into dispatch, who told him that the same car had been reported as following other units in different jurisdictions as well.

The officer attempted a car stop, but the vehicle fled. “Because of the lack of any serious charges,” the officer let the suspect go and continued his patrol.

Around 4:15am, the officer returned to the precinct and noticed the suspect vehicle was just outside the parking lot.

A male, later identified as 49-year-old Troy J. VanGrinsven, was standing outside the entrance to the department.

The officer walked up to the entrance and attempted to speak with VanGrinsven, who immediately charged at the officer and stabbed him with a large kitchen knife multiple times.

The officer fought back and took VanGrinsven to the ground as the suspect continued thrusting the knife towards the officer. Other officers responded to assist, at which point another officer was cut by the suspect’s knife.

After a struggle, the officers were able to get VanGrinsven into custody.

Both officers were transported to the hospital where they were treated for their injuries and released.

The suspect was also taken to the hospital for an evaluation before being transported to jail.

The Chief of Appleton Police Department, Todd Thomas, released a statement after the incident.

In part, it read:

“The subject had concealed his right hand behind his leg and appeared to be holding something in it. The officer created distance between him and the individual, while trying to identify what the male was concealing. The male attacked the officer.

During the attack, the subject stabbed the officer several times with a kitchen-style knife. The officer fought back and brought the male on the ground. Additional officers responded and were able to get the subject under control and into custody. One of the other officers involved also suffered a cut, from the subject’s knife, to one of their hands.”

The Chief recognized how blessed his department is to have had all of his officers go home safely after the incident.

He continued:

“It is only because of the outstanding tactical skills, and the mental and physical fitness of the officer involved, that this incident didn’t end more tragically.

These are the threats that all our law enforcement officers are facing more frequently. No matter what uniform they wear, we thank all of them, and their family members, for the sacrifices they make every day to serve their communities.”

VanGrinsven is being charged with attempted first-degree intentional homicide and battery to a police officer, and may be facing more charges as the investigation unfolds.

LET has a private home for those who support emergency responders and veterans called LET Unity.  We reinvest the proceeds into sharing their untold stories. Click to check it out.

Murdered officer's grave desecrated before headstone even placed

Unfortunately, this week there was another officer who was ambushed and did not make it out alive like the Appleton officer.

Sunday night, around 7pm, three officers were shot during an incident in a house near 40th Avenue and Pinnacle Peak Rd. in Phoenix.

Law Enforcement Today has discovered that one of the officers has died.

Police Commander Greg Carnicle was shot at the house, and was pronounced dead at the hospital. The other two officers shot are expected to survive their injuries.

Commander Carnicle was a 31-year veteran of the department and was just five months away from retirement. He is survived by his wife and four children.

The initial call was regarding a domestic dispute incident between roommates and the officers were ambushed upon arrival.

The suspect barricaded himself in the house while SWAT officers surrounded the residence. 

Phoenix Police Chief Jeri Williams spoke about the officers.

“Tonight we lost a true hero. Greg Carnicle was a 31-year veteran of our department,” Williams said.

She said the other two officers are currently in stable condition – one female officer is out of surgery and a second is recovering from her wounds today.

According to the police department, Carnicle “held positions throughout the department including the special assignments unit, K9 and he most recently oversaw all evening and weekend patrol operations.”

Mayor Kate Gallego took to Twitter to express her grief:

“Our thoughts are with the loved ones of these officers and the entire Phoenix Police Department. Please keep these individuals in your thoughts.”

Additionally, sad news out of Nevada this week.

Our hearts are broken after a Nevada Highway Patrol trooper was murdered Friday morning near Ely, Nevada.

Details were released Friday afternoon by the Eureka County Sheriff’s Office.

The Nevada Highway Patrol Northern Command said the trooper pulled over to help a driver at 5:54 a.m. at US-93 and White Pine county mile marker 106 near Ely.

The trooper never had a chance – police said the suspect shot and killed him.  He then stole his uniform and patrol vehicle.

That suspect was arrested later in the day.  He was identified as 65-year-old John Dabritz from White Pine.

According to NHP, multiple agencies helped take Dabritz into custody.

Later in the day, the murdered trooper was identified as 47-year-old Sgt. Ben Jenkins from Elko.  

Police tell Law Enforcement Today that Jenkins started working for NHP in 2008.  In 2017, he was promoted to Sergeant.

“Without question, Sgt. Jenkins was a hero to his community, his law enforcement colleagues, the State of Nevada and our country,” said Director George Togliatti.

“This is a tremendous loss for the Nevada Highway Patrol, his family, and everyone Sgt. Jenkins touched during his long and honorable career in public service. My thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones during this period of mourning.”

NHP said Jenkins is survived by his wife, his mother, four children and five grandchildren.

Law Enforcement Today holds the blood and blue families of these officers in our prayers.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts