Fugitive wanted for 2018 murder of girl, 10, arrested. She was on the way to get ice cream when she was killed.


WASHINGTON, DC – It took two years… but they finally got him.

In 2018, 10-year-old Makiyah Wilson was shot and killed as she left her home to get ice cream.  The investigation into the case netted several arrests, including one on August 20th of this year by the U.S. Marshals Service.

In July of 2018, Makiyah was leaving her apartment when a black Infiniti pulled into the courtyard of the Clay Terrace Apartments. 

Nearby surveillance video showed the occupants of the car getting out and firing several rounds into the crowded courtyard before fleeing in the car. 

DC Police estimated there were 15-20 people in the courtyard of the complex at the time of the shooting.  There were several people struck from as many as 70 rounds that were fired, including Makiyah’s sister.  Sadly at least one of the rounds struck Makiyah in the chest.

Donnetta Wilson, Makiyah’s mother, told NBC4 shortly after the shooting that Makiyah tried to calm her down after she had been shot.  Donnetta said:

“I held my baby.  The whole time she was saying: ‘Mommy calm down.  It’s burning.’  She was trying to get me to be calm.”

Sadly, Makiyah died right after she tried to calm her mother down, right there on the stoop of her apartment complex. 

She was the only person who died as a result of the mass shooting.  But her family, and police, never forgot that little girl and fought to bring justice for Makiyah.

Donnetta told WUSA9 in 2019 that Makiyah was full of life and extremely outgoing.  She had just celebrated her tenth birthday and loved school.  Makiyah would have been going into the fifth grade.

On August 20th, the US Marshals service found and arrested one of the 11 people responsible for Makiyah’s death.  Isaiah Murchison was located at a house in Fredericksburg, Virginia after 8pm.  Murchison is believed by police to be one of the shooters in the case.

The U.S. Marshals said that Murchison was a well-known gang member of a group that called themselves that Wellington Park Crew.  He has already been indicted for first-degree murder in this case. 

The indictment in this case outlines the events that transpired just before the shooting occurred.  Members of the gang had been texting and direct messaging through Instagram where weapons were located.  They also informed the crew where the getaway car and driver were located for after the shooting.

While Donetta is thankful that Murchison has been taken into custody, she still grieves Makiyah.  Donetta said:

“You don’t know what you took from us.  Makiyah was an angel.  She’s still an angel.  She was an angel on earth before she was in heaven.” 

In July of this year, Donetta was part of a march in the DC area which was designed to show support for the police in the DC area.  The group lauded the police department for their recent efforts in identifying those responsible for the death of Davon, Day-Day, McNeil, an 11-year-old who was murdered in July.

The organizer of the event, Kevin Coleman, said:

“We applaud [MPD] for catching the guys in Day-Day’s murder.  And we hope you catch the rest of them.  But now we’re putting the pressure on you, to catch all the rest of the murderers of our children.”

Sade Wright, another march organizer said:

“This is not to go against the police.  It is to bring justice for all of these juveniles under the age of 21 who are getting killed.  We need the police to solve these crimes for all of us.” 

Donetta added:

“We just have to keep having these events, to let people and police know that we’re not just going to accept our kids dying.  It’s how I keep my daughter’s name alive, letting people know we need to end this senseless killing, to let our children blossom instead of wilt and die.”


Hate crime? Young white teenager murdered – national media almost entirely ignores the story

GARNER, NC- On Saturday, August 15, 17-year-old Veronica Lee Baker was found in the parking lot of a Bojangles restaurant in Garner, North Carolina, shot to death. This past Wednesday, her alleged killer was taken into custody. Why haven’t you heard about this? Well Veronica was white, and her alleged killer(s) were black. In other words, it doesn’t fit the narrative.


According to the U.S. Sun, Baker was shot to death inside her car. She graduated from Garner High School this past June, and was scheduled to start classes at Wake Community College in the fall, according to her father.

Police were called to the Bojangles fast food restaurant in Garner, located a short distance from Raleigh on Saturday, August 15th, on the report of an unresponsive person inside a car in the parking lot. Arriving officers found Baker inside the still running car, where she was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the Raleigh News & Observer.

This past Monday, Garner police released the 911 call reporting the incident, in which a man is heard saying that he sees a girl in a running vehicle who did not appear to be breathing.

The caller said:

“There’s a car with the doors wide open and there’s a girl who is unresponsive, 

“It doesn’t look like she’s breathing.”

The caller indicated that he had tried to shake the girl, however she was unresponsive.

Yet a second person on the call said that the car had been in the parking lot for a while, however they didn’t realize something was wrong.

The second person said:

“I went on lunch. I went on my break a few minutes ago, sir, and when I came back the door was open. I didn’t pay no attention,” 

Wednesday, August 19th, police charged 17-year-old Devin Cordell Jones with murder in connection with Baker’s shooting. Police also arrested three other people in connection with the shooting.


Officials said that Keyshara Michelle Deans, 19, Nezyiha Zamier Collins, 19, and Tyreek Qumay Rodgers, 18, helped Jones in fleeing the crime scene.

All three have been charged with felony accessory to murder.

Court records said that Deans was the one who allegedly drove Jones away from the crime scene, while the other two suspects are accused of fleeing North Carolina with Jones after the murder.

Officials told CBS17 that the three accessories were all being held on bond; Collins and Rodgers on $500,000 secured bonds each, with Deans being held on a $1.015 million dollar bond. She was also facing charges dating back to June, which are not related to Baker’s killing.

Jones did not appear in court because he is a minor, police said. 

Baker’s friends and neighbors described the teen as sweet and lovely, saying that she had her whole life ahead of her.

Baker’s father, Jim Baker said that his daughter knew the accused killer, speaking to the News & Observer.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Baker said:

“I’ve seen him at school. They started hanging around sophomore year,” 

Baker said he was sitting in the living room with his family when he received the phone call that police had made arrests in the case.

He said:

“I got the phone call right at 11,” 

He continued:

“Holy crap, it’s Detective Rigsbee,”

Baker said that he was relieved that police had made an arrest in his daughter’s murder.

Baker recalls saying:

“Oh my God, they got ‘em!” 

In his  interview, Baker said that he did not know the older suspects, however recognized Jones. He said that Jones and his daughter were friends, which is possibly why she allowed him in her car.


He believes that the motivation for the killing may have been robbery. Jones said that perhaps the fact that Baker and his family took trips together may have given rise to the belief that his daughter had a lot of money, her father said.

He continued that her daughter knew how to defend herself and may have actually fought back. Baker, a retired Marine, said that he had trained Veronica how to use a knife and pepper spray.

Baker noted how Veronica had loved to go camping.

Kendall Anne who is a family friend, said:

“Almost every weekend we would go camping at my parents’ lake property in Bunn,” 

She continued:

“She was always so happy. So, kind. She was never selfish,” 

Finally saying:

“She worried about everyone she cared about. She would literally give you the shirt off her back.”

Jim Baker said that Veronica worked part-time at Harris Teeter, as well as in his RV repair business. She had learned to estimate the cost of a camper or an RV just by looking at one, he said. She had picked out her father’s most recent RV purchase.

Camping was an activity they enjoyed together as a family, and Baker said that going camping going forward would be difficult, as his wife wants him to sell the camper. 

He said:

“My wife said yesterday that she never wanted to go camping again,”

Veronica’s funeral was set for Saturday, and a GoFundMe has been set up or her family.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts