ESCAMBIA COUNTY, FL – While four people who allegedly chose to do a home invasion might have expected the victim would fight back, they obviously did not anticipate that he would use his rifle to defend himself and his property.
The harrowing incident was partially captured on the victim’s home surveillance system and identified three of the four suspects involved.
The Escambia County Sheriff's Office released video of last week's home invasion as deputies seek to identify one of the suspects involved. https://t.co/7LspyeDsDS
— WEAR ABC 3 (@weartv) July 13, 2022
On July 7th, the unidentified victim was probably relaxing at his residence just after 9 p.m. when he noticed three people at his front door.
According to the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office, the three young men allegedly tried to pass themselves off as old friends of the victim to get him to open the door.
The three people at the front door did not anticipate that the victim was suspicious of the late-night house call and armed himself with a gun before opening the door.
As the victim opened the door, two suspects barged past the homeowner and began to “attack him.” A news release from the Escambia County Sheriff’s Office said:
“When the victim unlocks the door, two of the males push him into the house and attack him. The third male pulls a handgun from his pants and waits outside.
The victim’s pistol fell to the ground and was picked up by one of the invaders. The victim ran to the back of the house where he had another firearm and began firing at his intruders.”
The tables were turned on the Escambia County, Florida home invasion suspects, who ran for their lives after the homeowner opened fire. https://t.co/xiqs46VAFY
— WTVY News 4 (@WTVYNews4) July 14, 2022
The three alleged criminals took off running but not before showing their faces clearly in the video surveillance system.
As they ran for their lives, a fourth person was apparently waiting in a vehicle that was backed into the victim’s driveway who started the car and fled the area once the other three were inside.
Deputies were able to identify three of the young adults who allegedly attempted to carry out the home invasion.
Da’Torrance Hackworth and Antonio Dewayne Dean, Jr were located and taken into custody and charged with use or display of a firearm during the commission of a felony, possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, larceny, grand theft of a firearm, and robbery/home invasion with a firearm.
Deputies have identified the third suspect as Joseph Roman Sanders who will be charged with home invasion with a firearm when he is arrested.
Police have not released any possible identity of the fourth suspect at this time, however, confirmed reports that they responded to a hospital after the incident regarding a patient being treated for what appeared as a non-life-threatening gunshot wound to the head.
FIRED BACK 🚨 A Florida homeowner shot at suspects who invaded his home in Escambia County. Deputies released surveillance video of the home invasion HERE 📲 https://t.co/XBLdVk82iD
— NBC2 (@NBC2) July 15, 2022
Chip Simmons, the Sheriff for Escambia County, spoke to Fox & Friends about the incident and said that the victim, in this case, would not be criminally charged for defending himself from the armed attack.
Sheriff Simmons said:
“He did absolutely nothing wrong. If someone breaks into my front door, barges and attacks me or my family, they’re going to get shot, and I afford that same consideration to the residents of my county.”
Three teens wanted for an attempted robbery have now been arrested for trying to murder a police officer
BETHESDA, MD – Three 16-year-old DC kids were driving in a BMW SUV when they were spotted by Bethesda police, who recognized the BMW from the description from an attempted robbery a week earlier. The officer began to surveil the vehicle.
At some point in his following the suspects, the SUV slammed on its brakes, causing the officer to swerve to avoid hitting them.
The tailing officer said that he heard gunshots as the vehicle drove around him. Someone in the vehicle fired another shot. The surveillance turned into a full pursuit at that point. The officer’s car took at least two of the four shots. The officer was uninjured in the attack.
He radioed for assistance.
“Give me the air. They’re firing at us. Shots fired,” the undercover officer said before asking a unit to put stop sticks near MD-355 and I-495. “I want a helicopter in the air. Get me PG air.”
According to Shore News Network, this all started around 1:20 am on Thursday, June 30th.
During the pursuit, the suspects lost control of the BMW and wrecked it in the vicinity of I-495 and Connecticut Avenue. Two of them were immediately taken into custody, while the third tried to flee. He was apprehended a short time later with the assistance of Montgomery County Police K9 units and the Prince George County Police helicopter.
Police say that the teens were arrested and charged with attempted murder of a police officer.
It is likely they will face additional charges.
Authorities released the names of the boys, indicating that they will be tried as adults.
They were identified as Maynor Josue Bonilla-Flores, Jason Benitez-Umanzor and Brad Roca, all 16 and from Washington, DC.
Montgomery County State’s Attorney John McCarthy confirmed that the young men will be processed through the adult courts.
“They are charged as adults because under the law in Maryland, if you are of a certain age, i.e., 16, and you’re charged with [attempted] first-degree murder, the statute says you shall be charged as an adult.”
Montgomery County Police Chief Marcus Jones address the situation at a press conference late Thursday afternoon, according to ABC 7.
“The fact that these three suspects are all juveniles is simply disturbing. One of [the bullets] actually entered into the passenger’s compartment and actually struck the headrest of the passenger seat. So, it showed you how close in proximity it came to striking the actual officer.”
Jones also pointed out that his officers never returned fire.
One of the suspects was erroneously released but was arrested again a short time later. All three are being held with no bond.
During a press conference, Chief Jones was asked if the recent spate of burglaries, like the ones these suspects are alleged to have committed, was a result of COVID-19.
“I will suggest, from my perspective, that I don’t think it’s COVID,” Jones responded. “So, there’s a lot of reasons and I think we need to dig deeper into the root cause of why people are doing what they’re doing and we’re working really hard to do that.”
Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.