Four girls, aged 12-14, charged with starting a house fire that injured fireman and officer


FERNDALE, PA – A group of juveniles consisting of three 14-year-old girls and a 12-year-old girl have been charged in connection with an arson incident at a residential home where a police officer and a firefighter were reportedly injured in connection to responding to the house fire.

With the home seemingly beyond salvage and the injuries to the first responders, the four juvenile suspects, when asked regarding their motivation for the arson incident, allegedly told investigators they did it because “they were bored.”

Four juvenile suspects are facing some serious charges from an April 3rd residential arson incident, consisting of felony arson, causing catastrophe, trespassing, and endangerment.

Ferndale Borough Police Chief John Blake says that the four juvenile suspects had allegedly entered an unoccupied duplex in Cambria County, throwing lit pieces of paper into a shoebox on a couch inside of the duplex and then using the likes of Lysol and bug spray as an accelerant to cause the flame to spread.

And spread those flames did, with officials saying that the fire destroyed the duplex and also forced an evacuation of the adjacent homes that wound up damaged from the fire – as well as parked cars nearby.

The residential fire obviously commanded an amalgamation of first responders, with officials saying that an Upper Yoder Township Police officer wound up needing treatment for smoke inhalation and a local firefighter was treated for an unspecified medical issue.

According to reports, both the officer and the firefighter were released from the hospital shortly after receiving treatment. Investigators wound up tracking down the juvenile suspects due to social media posts where the juveniles allegedly posted a video to Snapchat of themselves starting the fire.

Officials also found that the suspects allegedly returned to the scene after starting the fire, with investigators finding photos of the juvenile suspects at the scene while firefighters we’re trying to put out the flames at the duplex.

Borough Police Chief Blake says that when investigators were interrogating the suspects to determine what motivated them to allegedly start the fire, investigators were reportedly told by the suspects it was because “they were bored.”

After the juvenile suspects were arrested and charged in connection to the incident, they were later released to the custody of their parents. Chief Blake says that he’s glad that no one was seriously hurt or killed from the incident:

“I’m just thankful the injuries weren’t more severe, or these girls could be facing homicide charges.”

Due to the age of the suspects, officials have not released their names. The cases for all four juveniles will reportedly be handled by Cambria County Juvenile Court.

 Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In other cases pertaining to arson investigations, authorities in Portland endured a riot earlier in April where the police union headquarters building was set on fire. 

Here’s that previous report. 


PORTLAND, OR – Police declared a riot at Union Headquarters in North Portland after the building was set ablaze by far-left Antifa and Black Lives Matter arsonists on Tuesday night. A group of about 100 people lit fires, blocked traffic, and shot off fireworks.

The police had been planning for another night of violence after learning protest organizers were setting up a “direct action” event at North Portland’s Kenton Park for 9 p.m. on Tuesday. Police had declared a riot on Monday night at the Penumbra Kelly building.

According to the police, past “direct action events” have led to arson violence, riots, and “wanton destruction of public and private property” in a city that has seen continued violence since the May 2020 death of George Floyd in Minneapolis.

A flyer that circulated for the Tuesday event said demonstrators were protesting the police killing of Daunte Wright in Minnesota on Sunday night. The 20-year-old was shot and killed during a traffic stop when officer Kim Potter apparently meant to fire her Taser, but accidentally drew her firearm instead. She fired one shot killing Wright.

The demonstrators followed the expected pattern after gathering at Kenton Park. About 9:40 p.m., the group begin marching toward the Portland Police Bureau Association building on North Lombard Street.

The demonstrators blocked traffic and began shooting fireworks off. Police tweeted that marchers were blocking traffic and advised city travelers to find alternative routes. Police repeatedly ordered the crowd to clear the streets without success.

Once the group reached the PPB building, a demonstrator set a garbage can on fire and placed it next to the building. Another person then used an unknown accelerant on the wooden door frame causing it to catch fire.

Police declared a riot based on the danger posed by the fire and the arson activity. Police said the fire was a serious threat to the neighborhood. The police building was not occupied at the time the fire was set, but police said several homes in the area were. Some residents were so concerned for the safety of their homes, they used garden hoses to fight the fire until firefighters arrived.

Portland Fire and Rescue was called to the scene and the fire was extinguished, but not before causing substantial damage to the front of the building.

One arsonist was arrested at the scene, a 19-year-old Alma Raven-Guido, who was charged with arson II.

Police said the crowd dispersed shortly after the arrest was made, and that police did not have to use any mutations or tear gas.

The violence followed Monday’s riot, when people lit fires, threw rocks, and shot ball bearings at officers in what officers called a “planned, coordinated attack.”

Police have reported that the riots Monday took needed resources away from lower priority calls in the city, and Tuesday’s rioting likely did the same.

PPB spokesperson Capt. Tina Jones said the reassignment of officers to meet the protesters’ threat likely impacted emergency response times in other parts of the city.

Violence also flared almost 200 miles away in Seattle on Tuesday night. At least three people were arrested while protesting the death of Daunte Wright.

A group of demonstrators gathered outside the Seattle Police Department’s West Precinct for what they labeled “a vigil.”


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts