Former volleyball coach facing 52 felonies after arrest for rape of minors…again

Share:

ALBUQUERQUE, NM – Six years after being arrested for having sex with a minor, a former New Mexico youth volleyball coach has been arrested again. This time, he is accused of raping several young girls.

Ryan Kapuscinski, 28, has been charged with 52 felonies including 44 counts of criminal sexual penetration of a minor. He stands accused of having sex with three girls between the ages of 11 and 15. The crimes reportedly happened between 2015 and 2018.

Kapuscinski was previously arrested in 2014 for having sex with a minor. He pleaded no contest and was released on probation with a conditional discharge.

At the time of the previous arrest, Kapuscinski was working for the New Mexico Juniors Volleyball Club in Albuquerque, where he coached girls ranging from 13 to 18 years old.

In 2014, Kapuscinski, then 21 years old, was arrested in Los Lunas, New Mexico after police received a tip from the Mexico Attorney General’s Office that a 15-year-old girl was chatting online about having sex with a 21-year-old man.

Investigators with the computer crimes unit determined the girl attended a local school and located her. During interviews, the girl admitted to having sex with Kapuscinski, who was working as a volleyball coach at the time.

Police interviewed Kapuscinski, who admitted to having sex with the girl and admitted knowing the girl’s age. He was charged with criminal sexual penetration of a minor and criminal sexual contact with a minor.

Despite being fired from his job as a volleyball coach because of the arrest, Kapuscinski made the news again in 2015 when he was permitted to take part in a volleyball tournament at the University of New Mexico, a tournament that included underage girls. He was a student at the university at the time.

A spokesman for the UNM Athletic Department said Kapuscinski was a student and had the right to play in the tournament at Johnson Field:

“He was allowed to register for the event because he is an active student at the university with all the rights and privileges of being a student.”

However, parents and students voiced their opposition to KRQE News 13. UNM student Christine Degregorio asked:

“Are there motives for why he’s wanting to be there? Is he wanting to possibly scout out somebody else? That’s what my mind would process right then and there, you know, why is he there?

“I just don’t think that’s ok.”

Parents called police to report Kapuscinski’s presence at the tournament, but he was permitted to continue participating. A spokesperson said:

“Police were contacted about Ryan’s attendance at Grass Bash and they did come out and talk with him. After that meeting, he was allowed to continue and play.”

At the time of the tournament, Kapuscinski was on bond for the arrest. Conditions of his release included no contact with the victim or witnesses. There was no condition preventing contact with other children pending trial.

On the current charges, Kapuscinski was denied bond by a district court judge. In the motion, the District Attorney’s Office wrote:

“Over the course of a few years, the defendant raped at least three young girls. This is a person that has absolutely no regard for the safety of others, and preys on vulnerable and innocent victims to gratify is own sexual pleasures.”

Kapuscinski’s attorney has denied the allegations.

 Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Report: Suspect wanted in murder of seven-year-old girl has previous arrest history for shootings

January 2, 2021

ATLANTA, GA – A suspect has been identified in connection of the murder of seven-year-old Kennedy Maxie, who was shot in the head on December 21st while out Christmas shopping with her family. The suspect is currently at-large. 

Furthermore, officials say that this suspect has had some brushes with the law before – including a previous shooting incident in 2019. 

Daquan Reed is the 24-year-old suspect who police say is responsible for the gunshot to the head that killed seven-year-old Kennedy Maxie. Maxie’s tragic death appears to be the result of a stray bullet.  

Atlanta Police say that Reed had gotten into some kind of an argument in a parking lot outside Saks Fifth Avenue at Phipps Plaza. When he began to leave the area, he allegedly fired three gun shots outside of his car window. 

Police say that one of those bullets struck seven-year-old Kennedy Maxie in the back of the head while she was inside of a vehicle with her family. The young girl later died at the hospital while undergoing treatment. 

Reportedly, the young girl died just one day after Christmas – having to spend her final holiday with her family inside of a hospital room. 

As mentioned, this is not Reed’s first run in with the law, as he has a bit of a violent history.

Court records in Virginia showcased that he was arrested previously for assault and battery, strangulation, and various other misdemeanor charges.

He reportedly also hosts a conviction for forgery. 

Additionally, back in 2019, Reed was one of two people arrested in connection with a shooting in Norfolk, Virginia that took place at the MacArthur Center Mall.

U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force had actually located Reed in Atlanta for his October 2019 arrest in relation to the Virginia shooting incident. However, Reed was only charged with accessory after it was stated that he was not the gunman in that case. 

But Reed not allegedly facing murder charges, APD Chief Rodney Bryant is trying to determine what the suspect’s connection with the state is, considering his previous arrest by U.S. Marshals in 2019 in Georgia. 

Chief Bryant says that the department will locate the suspect: 

“We will find him and we will bring him back to the city to face justice.”

Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms also ensured that every resource the APD needs to enact this arrest will be afforded to the department: 

“APD is doing what they can. I do know if they’re resources they don’t have, we’ll move mountains to make sure they have what they need.”

Officials are also offering a $15,000 reward for anyone who can furnish information that can lead to the arrest of Reed. 

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
 
Facebook Follow First
Share:
Related Posts