Final act of heroism: Kidney of fallen police officer given to another cop to save his life


SPRINGFIELD, MO – Independence Police Officer Blaize Madrid-Evans, who was killed in a shootout with a suspect earlier in September, is continuing to save lives even in death.

He was an organ donor, and his kidney served as a match for a Springfield Police officer in need of a transplant.

As we had previously reported here at Law Enforcement Today, Officer Madrid-Evans was only 22-years-old when he died in a shootout with 33-year-old repeat offender Cody L. Harrison back on September 15th.

Harrison was also killed during the shootout when officers returned fire outside of the residence located within the 2400 block of Northern Boulevard in Independence.

As fate would have it, Officer Madrid-Evans was an organ donor and Springfield Police Officer Mark Priebe needed a new kidney – which the late officer’s kidney served as a match.

Officer Priebe was paralyzed after being intentionally struck by a vehicle back in June of 2020.

The Springfield officer’s kidneys began to fail this past June and he started dialysis in July. Come September 17th, Officer Priebe’s family learned of the match and the transplant was performed the day after.

While Officer Priebe stated that he is “forever grateful” for Officer Madrid-Evans’ kidney serving as a match, he’s also heartbroken knowing that the officer died so young and early into his career, saying “why I am allowed to continue to live, and this young, brand new officer had to pay the ultimate sacrifice. I hope that I can honor him and his family by the way I live my life.”

Speaking with local news outlet KY3 two days after the procedure, Officer Priebe expanded on those emotions he’s feeling:

“I think that’s probably the hardest thing for me to soak in is, I get to live, and I’ve already lived ‘til 46 years old and done my career. And he was just trying to get started, and he’s already gone from us. And that’s where it’s hard for me to really truly understand that.

And I just have to put my faith in God and not look for all the answers and just trust in him that there’s purpose and a reason behind it all.”

Officer Priebe’s wife says that he’s still on a liquid diet, but that doctors say he should be ready for real food soon and that things are looking good after the transplant.

The officer said from his hospital room during the interview that he’s keeping Officer Madrid-Evans’ family in his prayers and credits the family with giving him more time than he “was supposed to before”:

“We know God was watching over me, and we pray for the family that, where the donation came from. We’re thinking of them as we go about our days each day now too.

They gave me a second chance to be healthier and live even longer than I was supposed to before. But love everybody. Keep praying that we heal and there’s no complications and no rejections of the kidney and we can just keep moving forward.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Suspect in fatal shooting of police officer was out on bond, had active warrant out for his arrest

(Originally published September 18th, 2021)

INDEPENDENCE, MO – According to reports, the 33-year-old now-deceased suspect accused of the fatal shooting of 22-year-old Independence police Officer Blaize Madrid-Evans earlier in September was reportedly out on bond during the fatal shooting of the officer.

The news of the deceased suspect’s long criminal history and having had an active warrant for his arrest prior to the killing of the officer has spurred outrage within the community.

Authorities identified the man accused of killing Officer Madrid-Evans as 33-year-old Cody L. Harrison, who was killed during the same incident by return fire from a second officer on scene.

The shooting reportedly happened on September 15th at approximately 11:30 a.m. at a residence in the 2400 block of Northern Boulevard.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol stated that local officers were dispatched to the home where they were confronted by Harrison who opened fire on the responding officers. Officer Madrid-Evans was struck during the incident and later died at the hospital.

A second unnamed officer returned fire on Harrison, killing him.

Missouri State Highway Patrol officials say that the police response to the home came from a tip that there might be a wanted person at the residence, but the origins of the tip are still being looked into.

Following the killing of Officer Madrid-Evans, scrutiny was directed toward police and prosecutors after it was found that Harrison was not only out on bond during the time of the incident from a previous case – he was also arrested earlier in September for being a felon caught in possession of a firearm.

Not only that, but there was also a warrant out for his arrest for failing to appear in court for a 2020 burglary case.

Mike Mansur, a spokesman for Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office, addressed the complex nature of Harrison’s run-ins with the law and why he wasn’t in custody prior to the fatal shooting, countering early reports that suggested prosecutors weren’t after Harrison for the gun arrest from September 2nd:

“Contrary to early reporting, the Jackson County prosecutor’s office had not declined to prosecute or file a case against Cody Harrison who was out of jail when he shot an Independence Police officer this week.

In fact, a warrant for Cody Harrison’s arrest was issued on Sept. 13, 2021, after he failed to appear for a hearing in late August in a criminal case initiated in February 2021. We requested that arrest warrant.”

Mansur explained how Harrison was able to attain bond from his November 2020 burglary case that was filed this past February, noting that the court eventually released Harrison without having to post any bond – despite the prosecutor’s office requesting bond be set at $10,000:

“At the time we filed that case, our office’s original request was for a bond of $10,000/10 percent, which is within the state Supreme Court’s bond guidelines. The court, however, issued the $6,000/10% bond and it was later reduced by the court to an ROR [released on own recognizance] bond.”

Mansur continued from there, further explaining the matter regarding Harrison’s September 2nd arrest and why he wasn’t held in custody after being arrested:

“In addition, Kansas City police submitted to us on September 7 a new case on Harrison for earlier that month: carrying a firearm which he was prohibited to carry because he was a convicted felon.

That case was under review for charging in our office. Though arrested on September 2, we did not receive the case until September 9, when Harrison had been out of custody for days.”

Harrison’s criminal history dates back to 2011, when he was convicted out of Clay County for shooting at a motor vehicle. He was sentenced to 15 years in prison but was released on parole by 2018.

Still being on parole for his November 2020 arrest, he went back to prison and was released on parole again on May 24th of 2021 – and since his bond on that case was reduced to free, he was free to walk about.

Unfortunately, Missouri parole board decisions are not public record, and thus it is unclear why the parole board would’ve set him free while he still had a pending criminal case against him.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Make some noise: Parole hearing slated for early release of convicted cop killer in New York

(Originally reported September 15th, 2021)

NEW YORK CITY, NY – An upcoming parole hearing is reportedly scheduled to take place in October.

And if parole is granted, we could see the man convicted of murdering an off-duty police officer in 1992 released from prison as early as August of 2022.

Bannon was convicted of the July 1992 murder of 28-year-old Officer Paul Heidelberger, who was reportedly off-duty when Bannon killed him.

The incident from July 18th, 1992, was reportedly preceded by some kind of bar fight, according to reports from the period of the murder.

Authorities say that Bannon, who served as a bouncer at the Palm Club where the incident occurred, had been fighting with three men and had gotten hit over the head with a bottle.

Prosecutors in the trial that took place in 1993 said that after being struck in the head with a bottle, Bannon left in his car and returned back to the scene with a gun, in order to exact revenge.

Bannon opened fire on the three men as they were leaving the bar.

Officer Heidelberger was directly struck by the gunfire, along with a man identified as 33-year-old John Camarda. The third victim was only grazed by the shooting and was able to flee the area, apparently.

A. Kirke Bartley Jr., an assistant district attorney, said at trial that Bannon walked over to where the two victims laid, and went to finish the job.

According to the prosecution, Officer Heidelberger’s killing was described as an execution, saying that Bannon pointed his 9-millimeter pistol between Officer Heidelberger’s eyes and pulled the trigger – ignoring his pleas for mercy.

After the killings, Bannon went on the lam, reportedly first going to his mother’s house in Queens, packing a single bag and leaving the gun used in the murders behind, then going on the run.

Slightly over a month after the murders, Bannon surrendered to authorities after being featured on the program “America’s Most Wanted”.

During the trial, Bannon tried claiming that the killings were in self-defense.

That, however, clearly did not resonate with the jury during the trial and he was later convicted of murder and manslaughter and sentenced to 30 years-to-life in prison between the charges.

As stated earlier, Bannon is scheduled for a parole hearing this October which would determine whether or not he can be released from prison next August.

The Officer Down Memorial Page has established a pre-written email which you can access here if you’d like to inform the parole board that you don’t want to see Bannon released.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts