It looks like the Federal Bureau of Investigations dropped an offer just in time for holiday shopping.

 

The FBI is offering $5 million for information that leads to the arrest of an American citizen on the agency’s Most Wanted Terrorist List. That’s quite a bit of scratch that has the potential to convert the most loyal of miscreant friends into an FBI informant.

An indictment unsealed in federal court on Monday accuses Jehad Serwan Mostafa, 37, of providing material support to Harakat al-Shabaab al-Mujahideen, or more commonly known as al-Shabaab. The US has designated al-Shabaab a terrorist organization for its attempts to undermine the Somali government.

The FBI says this American man is a major terror threat. Now they’re offering $5 million for information leading to his arrest. (YouTube/FBI)

 

The militant group is now a part of Al-Qaeda after they pledged their allegiance to the group back in 2012. They boast their troop strength at between 7,000 and 9,000 militants when last recorded back in 2017.

US Attorney for the Southern District of California Robert Brewer stated the following in a news release Monday:

“We believe this defendant is the highest-ranking U.S. citizen fighting overseas with a terrorist organization. Al-Shabaab’s reign of terror threatens U.S. national security, our international allies and innocent civilians. Today we seek the public’s assistance in capturing Mostafa and disrupting Al-Shabaab.”

With the word out on Mostafa, and the price on information that could lead to his arrest, it’s only a matter of time before actionable information surfaces.

Mostafa has numerous aliases that he goes by inside and out of the jihadist fundamentalist group, which include “Ahmed Gurey,” “Ahmed,” “Anwar,” “Abu Anwar al Muhajir,” and “Abu Abdallah al Muhajir”.

He was formerly a resident of San Diego, but is currently believed to be in Somalia, according to San Diego special-agent-in-charge Scott Brunner. This isn’t the first bounty that has been placed on members of the group either, as there have been rewards offered for information on leaders of the group dating back since 2012.

The individual has been linked to the use of improvised explosive devices in attacks in Somalia, according to the release. The group had managed to maintain a social media presence on Twitter unchecked essentially from December 2011 to January 2013, keeping in mind that the group came to be in 2006 and had already proclaimed allegiance to Al-Qaeda in 2012.

Twitter then only began suspending and deleting their accounts after they posted pictures of the corpse of Frenchman “Denis Allex” that they’d held captive for years and then executed.

 

As for Mostafa, he was raised in San Diego, California, and had attended high school and college there as well before traveling to Temen and Somalia in 2005, according to the release.

While he was in Somalia, he began to fight against Ethiopian forces and then later joined al-Shabaab, according to the release.

Also, reports have said that the organization was deemed a terrorist group in 2008, and a year later he was indicted with charges of providing support to a terrorist organization.

In September 2014, a U.S. drone strike carried out as part of the broader mission killed the original al-Shabaab leader Ahmed Abdi Godane. But it didn’t take long for a successor to rise within the militant group, with the newfound leadership of Ahmad Umar.

This is not a good group by any means, embodied by thousands who hold anti-zionist and antisemitic ideologies who follow their creed to the point of spilling the blood of non-believers.

If you have any information pertaining to the current or recent whereabouts of Mostafa, you can report tips anonymously by phone at 1-800-CALL-FBI or online at tips.fbi.gov. You can also contact the nearest American Embassy or Consulate with any information as well.

Meanwhile, details surrounding associates of the London Bridge terrorist are making the general population nervous.

Earlier this week, London saw a horrific knife attack on the London Bridge by a confirmed jihadist terrorist. As a result, two individuals were killed and several more were critically injured-the attacker shot and killed by police. 

This could have been completely avoidable, had the terrorist not been released from prison.

No, it wasn’t a mix up, while Usman Khan slated to never be released unless he was somehow deemed to no longer be a terroristic threat- he was released on a license in December of 2018. Khan claimed he was reformed.

Now reports are coming out that Khan is one of six who have been released under a similar program.

And all of those individuals are connected to Khan when the group of nine terrorists were arrested in the midst of a plot to attack the London Stock Exchange and kill Boris Johnson in 2010.

According to Daily Mail.com:

“Three of the nine – Khan, Mohammad Shahjahan and Nazam Hussein – were initially handed indefinite prison terms, but the trio won an appeal in 2013 which changed them to fixed sentences.

Allowing their appeal, former press inquiry chair Lord Justice Leveson found they had been ‘wrongly characterized’ as more dangerous than the others.”

Shah Mohammed Rahman, Omar Sharif Latif, Gurukanth Desai and Abdul Malik Miah have all been released from prison under similar terms as Khan.

Currently the documentation for when and where these individuals were released from prison has been a bit lacking.

According to sources however, when all nine men were sentenced, the time they had served while awaiting trial was considered for their sentence terms.

Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans?  It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans.  Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice.  Check it out today.

 

As reported by The Daily Mail:

“At the trial in 2012, Woolwich Crown Court heard how the nine jihadists had plotted an al-Qaeda-style attack to detonate a bomb at the London Stock Exchange. 

In addition, a hand-written target list found at one of the plotters’ homes also included the names and addresses of the Dean of St Paul’s Cathedral, Boris Johnson who was then Mayor of London, two rabbis, and the US Embassy in London.”

Sources report that the London based sleeper cell of terrorists was brought down when than 19-year-old Khan was recorded in his home creating plans to mask an al-Qaeda type training camp as a religious school.

The Daily Mail also reported that during the undercover police operation recordings in the home included:

“…some London and Cardiff-based members of the group discussed launching a ‘Mumbai-style’ atrocity, while the Stoke extremists talked about setting off pipe bombs in the toilets of two pubs in their home town.”

The Guardian reported that:

“A 2013 report indicated, “Khan was one of three men from Stoke who had travelled to Pakistan’s federally administered tribal areas (Fata) and planned to fund, construct and take part in a terrorist training camp in Kashmir, with a view to carrying out terrorist acts in the future.

They were part of a group that had copies of the al-Qaida English-language extremist magazine Inspire and had considered putting letter bombs in the post.”

In February 2012 when the sentences came down for the group, the judge in the case Mr Justice Wilkie, stated about the group and their plans that:

“…the plot was a ‘serious, long-term venture in terrorism’ that could also have resulted in atrocities in Britain.”

Wilkie was also noted as saying Khan was one of the most extreme of the group that had been arrested.

So why were any of these individuals allowed to walk free outside of prison walls?

According to the Guardian:

“Khan appealed against the decision in 2013 before Lord Justice Leveson, sitting with Mr Justice Mitting and Mr Justice Sweeney. It was decided that his sentence would go from 18 to 16 years, along with five-year extended license periods.”

This sentence would automatically allow Khan release after serving just 8 years of his term.  This was also that case for Khan’s co-conspirators.

Six of London Bridge terrorist Usman Khan's fellow bomb plotters have also been freed from prison since 2012

Six of London Bridge terrorist Usman Khan’s fellow bomb plotters have also been freed from prison since 2012

 

The Daily Mail explains that:

“Khan was automatically set free thanks to the Criminal Justice Act – introduced by Labour in 2005 – which releases prisoners halfway through their term, with the rest of their sentence under license.”  

With the release of Khan, and the recent horrific attack he unleashed on the London Bridge, those in the British judicial system are trying to point fingers in every direction but their own.

Lord Justice Leveson has stated that it was the Parole Board that ultimately allowed for the release of Khan.  However, the Parole Board released the statement which said they:

“…played no part at all in Khan’s release as he was freed automatically, suggesting a failure at some point in the Justice System, and ultimately from the Government, to review Khan’s case.”

Others have also pointed to Former Tory minister David Gauke who was the justice secretary when Khan was released in 2018.

The Criminal Justice Act included the “Sentences of Imprisonment for Public Protection (IPPs) were introduced in 2005 and given to violent or sexual offenders. The policy was introduced by Labour’s David Blunkett and was targeted at criminals who did not warrant a life sentence but posed a serious risk to the public,” as explained by the Daily Mail.

These sentences were removed in 2012 under a new conservative government. Although they removed these sentences, it is reported that the government promised they would protect citizens from the individuals that were given these IPPs terms.  

The attack on the London Bridge shows just how effective those promises were.

 


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First