FBI investigating alleged assault of female soldier by Afghan refugees at Ft. Bliss

Share:

FORT BLISS, NM – The FBI has reportedly launched an investigation into an alleged assault of a female solider that was purportedly carried out by multiple male Afghan refugees being housed at Fort Bliss.

A spokesperson for the base confirmed that a female soldier supporting Operation Allies Welcome reported the assault earlier in September.

FBI Public Affairs Officer Special Agent Jeanette Harper confirmed that the FBI are investigating an alleged assault of a female service member that was reported as being carried out by a “small group” of Afghan evacuees at a Fort Bliss Afghan refugee housing complex in New Mexico on September 19th:

“We received the referral from Fort Bliss and our office is investigating the allegation.”

A statement delivered by Lt. Col. Allie Payne from Fort Bliss Public Affairs reiterated the aforementioned, which noted the following:

“We can confirm a female service member supporting Operation Allies Welcome reported being assaulted on Sept. 19 by a small group of male evacuees at the Doña Ana Complex in New Mexico.

We take the allegation seriously and appropriately referred the matter to the Federal Bureau of Investigation. The safety and well-being of our service members, as well as all of those on our installations, is paramount.”

The statement from the 1st Armored Division added that “additional security measures” are being implemented at the housing complex located on the base:

“Task Force-Bliss is also implementing additional security measures to include increased health and safety patrols, additional lighting, and enforcement of the buddy system at the Dona Ana Complex.

We will cooperate fully with the FBI and will continue to ensure the service member reporting this assault is fully supported.”

New Mexico Republican Rep. Yvette Herrell referred to the incident as being part of a “failure in the vetting process” regarding the introduction of Afghan refugees into various military bases:

“My prayers are with the courageous soldier and her family. This is yet another tragic failure in the vetting process for Afghan nationals. The American people deserve answers.”

Senator Ted Cruz shared similar criticism in light of the incident, but placed a more pointed blame to President Joe Biden while referencing what he called the president’s “botched evacuation”:

“Joe Biden made a decision to shove tens of thousands people on planes to make it look like his botched evacuation was going well. The truth is he had no idea who he brought to the US. That’s why I led a letter today demanding accountability and answers.”

While officials haven’t shared much in terms of details regarding the alleged assault of the soldier, ABC 7 reported that sources familiar with the case said the attack occurred at around midnight on September 19th and was carried out by three Afghan men as the soldier was near her vehicle after arriving on the complex for duty.

This source told the news outlet that the assault was not of a sexual nature and that the soldier’s injuries did not require any hospitalization and is doing physically fine since the attack.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Two Afghan evacuees arrested and charged with child sex crimes, assaulting wife at Fort McCoy

(Originally published September 23rd, 2021)

MADISON, WI- On Wednesday, September 22nd, the Department of Justice (DOJ) announced federal charges against two Afghan evacuees who were temporarily living at Fort McCoy.

Police say 20-year-old Bahrullah Noori has been charged with attempted to engage in a sexual act with a minor using force against that person. Noori has also been charged with three counts of engaging in a sexual act with a minor and one count alleging the use of force.

The indictment states that his victims were under the age of 16 and were at least four years younger than him. In a separate incident, 32-year-old Mohammad Haroon Imaad has been charged with assaulting his spouse by strangling and suffocating her. The indictment alleges that the assault occurred on September 7th.

The New York Post reported that the complaint states that Imaad’s wife claimed to soldiers through an interpreter that her husband had also struck their children on “multiple occasions” and alleged that he “beat me many times in Afghanistan to the point I lost vision in both eyes.”

In a second interview, Imaad’s wife alleged that her husband had raped her in addition to abusing her verbally and physically. At one point, she claimed that he had threatened to “sent her back to Afghanistan where the Taliban could deal with her.”

The wife also stated that the husband allegedly told her that “nine women have been killed since getting to Fort McCoy and that she would be the tenth.”

Noori and Imaad were charged previously in complaints filed in U.S. District Court. Both made initial appearances in Madison on September 16th and are currently being detained at the Dane County Jail.

According to the indictment, if convicted, Noori faces a mandatory minimum penalty of 30 years and a maximum of life in federal prison on the charges alleging use of force, and a maximum penalty of 15 years on the other two charges.

Imaad faces a maximum penalty of 10 years.

The charges against both Afghan evacuees are the result of investigations by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the Fort McCoy Police Department. According to the indictment, Assistant U.S. Attorney Taylor Kraus is handling the Noori prosecution and Assistant U.S. Attorney Zachary Corey is handling the Imaad prosecution.

As of this writing, their immigration statuses, whether they arrived as refugees, Special Immigrant Visa-holders (SIVs), P-2 visa holders, or parolees remains unclear.

Fox News reported that roughly 12,500 Afghans are being house at Fort McCoy after being airlifted out of Afghanistan in August during President Joe Biden’s botched military withdrawal.

The Associated Press (AP) reported that staff overseeing the admission of refugees to Fort McCoy had reported “multiple cases of minor females who presented as ‘married’ to adult Afghan men, as well as polygamous families.”

On Tuesday, September 21st, Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas admitted to lawmakers on Capitol Hill that of the 60,000 Afghan nationals evacuated during the U.S. troop withdrawal, approximately 7 percent are U.S. citizens, 6 percent are lawful permanent residents and roughly 3 percent hold SIVs. 

According to Mayorkas, the remaining 50,000-plus Afghans, include SIV applicants whose applications have not been finalized, locally employed staff, journalists, human rights activists, and other vulnerable Afghans who would qualify under refugee status. 

The White House has asked Congress to make welfare benefits available to Afghan nationals paroled into the nation, as part of a request for $6.4 billion in funds to help resettle the Afghan evacuees.

To be eligible, all individuals must have been paroled in the U.S. between July 30th and September 30th of this year.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Biden team to resettle Afghans across 46 states, with countless numbers going to swing states

September 18th, 2021

WASHINGTON, DC – According to reports, the Biden administration is planning to resettle thousands of Afghans across 46 states that were brought into the country during the fallout of the Afghanistan exit, with many of the Afghans slated to be settled in election battleground states.

President Joe Biden has previously stated that during the next 12 months, he intends to relocate roughly 95,000 Afghans across the United States.

Thus far, President Biden has transported more than 48,000 Afghans to the United States for resettlement in a 21-day period from August through September.

According to figures released by the Associated Press and Axios, the Biden administration would relocate 37,000 Afghans across 46 states in the coming week. California will reportedly receive the most Afghans, nearly 5,300, while Texas will receive approximately 4,500 Afghans.

In the Axios report, it was described that the resettlement process poses “numerous legal and logistal hurdles” based upon the relatively unique circumstances for which these Afghans are being introduced into the country.

Concerns have been reasonably raised with regards to job opportunities and most importantly: housing. Yet, the Biden administration proclaimed that they’ve been assured by refugee resettlement agencies that the initial group of 37,000 will have places to live.

Reportedly more than 50% of the initial group of Afghans being introduced into the United States had reportedly helped the U.S. government in some form during our presence in Afghanistan over the past two decades or are related to someone who did.

As for the swing states that will be having Afghans introduced, the numbers are as follows:

  • 1,610 in Arizona
  • 865 in Colorado
  • 1,030 in Florida
  • 1,069 in Georgia
  • 695 in Iowa
  • 100 in Maine
  • 1,280 in Michigan
  • 275 in Minnesota
  • 150 in Nevada
  • 1,169 in North Carolina
  • 855 in Ohio
  • 995 in Pennsylvania
  • 4,481 in Texas
  • 1,166 in Virginia
  • 399 in Wisconsin

Again, this is only representative of the first group of 37,000 – which is a far cry from the proclaimed 95,000 that President Biden has said he’d like to see resettled into the country over the next 12 months.

Axios noted in their reporting that the Biden administration spoke with governors and mayors in “nearly every state” regarding the resettlement efforts, which a Biden administration official saying that not a single state official declined to accept Afghan refugees in their respective state.

Currently, no Afghans are slated to be resettled in Hawaii, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wyoming, or Washington, D.C.

Republican Rep. Matt Rosendale, of Montana, feels as though this rushed process of introducing thousands of Afghan refugees into the country presents risks due to perceived inadequate vetting and also cultural hurdles for those being suddenly introduced into the United States:

“The traditional vetting process for these individuals is a 14-step procedure, that takes well over a year. The mass evacuation of over 100,000 Afghan nationals in a matter of weeks has made proper vetting of these individuals near impossible.

At this time, it appears extremely unlikely the Biden Administration properly vetted the Afghan nationals being resettled in Montana. I have advocated that we should try and settle these individuals in other countries around Afghanistan that share their values and culture, especially if we cannot ensure proper vetting.

As elected officials, it is our duty to protect the citizens we represent—and I will not allow this Administration to compromise the safety of Montanans.”

On top of the resettlement of thousands of Afghans, American taxpayers are also funding the one-time payments that these Afghans are receiving upon arrival at military bases here in the U.S., according to a report from the Washington Post:

“Afghan parolees who have arrived at U.S. military bases will be eligible for an ad hoc State Department program that provides limited assistance for up to 90 days, including a one-time $1,250 stipend.”

The noting of these Afghans being cited as “parolees” from the Washington Post report relates to evacuees arriving in the United States without any sort of visa – marking them as “humanitarian parolees”.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
 
Facebook Follow First
Share:
Related Posts