Father shot in the face in police-defunded city while holding his 5-week-old, assumes it was a “hate crime”


OAKLAND, CA- According to authorities, a father was shot in the face while holding his 5-week old baby inside their home. The father survived, but his family now fears for their safety and questions if the incident was a hate crime.

The incident happened in West Oakland near 7th and Peralta. Nearly 10 gunshots were fired into their home on the night of October 30th just before dinner. Jimmie, whose husband was shot, said:

“I just started screaming, ‘get down, get down, get down’! Our daughter, our 4-year-old, was crawling towards me and I moved her towards the kitchen and he put the baby on the floor.”

The husband added:

“I saw blood on the floor and his teeth, and I was trying to get him to turn over so I could see what had happened to him, but he wouldn’t allow me to turn him over.”

Jimmie’s husband was holding their 5-week-old baby when the shots came into their West Oakland home. Thankfully, Jimmie’s husband survived after taking a bullet to the face. The infant has just minor abrasions on her face.

Referring to his husband’s injuries, Jimmie said:

“He can make noises but his jaw is fractured here and his teeth were blown out. Thankfully, from what I understand, is that his tongue wasn’t damaged.

I’m playing the ‘why’ game right now because we don’t talk to anybody really aside from our immediate neighbors, so I’m trying to figure out if it’s because we’re gay. I just can’t believe this is random.”

As of this writing, Oakland police are only state there was a shooting. They are not saying if they are investigating the case as a hate crime. No arrests have yet been made. 

Jimmie said they now need to find somewhere safe to live. He is hopeful that someone comes forward with information about who would shoot into a home with children in it. Jimmie added:

“It is hard for me to believe that nobody saw anything, that nobody would know something, even somebody who was in the car that didn’t pull the trigger. This is (expletive) up! You can’t just do this to people.”

Jimmie’s husband has already made it through one surgery and will have another performed on Wednesday, November 3rd. Jimmie is currently staying elsewhere along with their children. 

A GoFundMe page has been started and has so far raised $42,692 of its $50,000 goal. The organizers of the fundraiser, wrote:

“This fund is being started to help with all of the expenses that will be incurred as Jimmie finds a new home for his family, rents a car until his car is repaired, daycare for the children, medical care for Marco once he is released from the hospital, and an endless list of unknown expenses to come.”

In addition to the GoFundMe, the organizers have also created an account where people can sign up to support Jimmie and family with items such as daycare, meals, errands, etc. 

In a separate incident, a freeway shooting left one person dead and shut down Interstate 580 in Oakland at the height of rush hour on Wednesday, October 27th. It happened around 5:30 p.m. on westbound I-580 and closed part of the freeway near Hight Street.

The shooting victim was driving a white sedan, which could be seen from SKY7 while it was over the scene. Several people driving on 580 called police reporting that two people were shooting at each other. It is believed the gunfire came from someone with a semi-automatic gun inside a silver car. As of this writing, this incident is under active investigation.

Editor note: In 2020, we saw a nationwide push to “defund the police”.  While we all stood here shaking our heads wondering if these people were serious… they cut billions of dollars in funding for police officers. 

And as a result, crime has skyrocketed – all while the same politicians who said “you don’t need guns, the government will protect you” continued their attacks on both our police officers and our Second Amendment rights.

And that’s exactly why we’re launching this national crowdfunding campaign as part of our efforts to help “re-fund the police”.

For those looking for a quick link to get in the fight and support the cause, click here.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Gang member pleads guilty to murder after shooting “into the wrong home” and killing a 12-year-old

November 1st, 2021

HUDSON VALLEY, NY – In December of 2020, a 12-year-old who was minding her own business was killed when a man shot into the wrong house.  On October 22nd, the suspect plead guilty in court.

Children across the United States are always excited during the month of December.  Not only is there an upcoming school break coming, but the thoughts and excitement of Christmas are getting nearer. 

Sadly, instead of looking forward to the presents, 12-year-old D’Janeria Mason, was shot and killed.

On December 17th, Gilbert Thomas approached a house at 60 Van Buren Street in the City of Kingston believing that it was connected somehow to a subject who had stabbed his brother earlier that day.  Believing the man was inside, Thomas approached the house and contacted a child.

Thomas asked if the person he was seeking was inside the house and he was told that there were only children present. 

Thomas then told the children that he was there and was going to “boom” the place.  Of course, the children could not have possibly envisioned what Thomas meant.

A short time later, Thomas went across the street and armed himself with an AK-47 according to the Ulster County District Attorney’s Office.  Thomas then did the unthinkable and fired nine times into the house that he knew had children inside.  Two of the bullets entered the children’s room and one struck Mason in the head, killing her.

Ulster County District Attorney David Clegg said:

“Thomas believed a rival gang was involved in his brother’s stabbing.  There was, however, no gang involvement connected to the residence of these children.  It appears the children were the victims of a mistake.”

New York State Police investigated the case and were able to develop Thomas and another man, Robert James, as suspects. 

Detectives in the case were able to form probable cause and arrest both shortly after the shooting.  They were both charged with murder in the second degree, assault in the first degree, and criminal use of a firearm in the first degree.

According to police, Thomas was “upset, apologetic” and cooperative with law enforcement officers once he learned that he had killed such a young child.  Thomas claimed that he never intended to shoot any children.

Thomas’ co-defendant, James, reportedly told detectives that he had asked Thomas to leave the residence without shooting into it since he knew there were children present.  According to James, Thomas did not listen and instead fired rounds into the residence.

For whatever reason, instead of taking the case to trial, Thomas and his defense team ultimately agreed to a plea deal.  Instead of going to trial, Thomas plead guilty to murder and depraved indifference for the murder of Mason. 

Thomas will be sentenced to twenty years in prison.  In speaking about the case, Clegg said:

“The victim in this case was an innocent twelve-year-old girl.  She had her whole life in front of her D’Janeira Mason mattered.  She mattered to her siblings and parents, her friends and extended family.  She mattered to her teachers and fellow students at Baily Middle School. 

She mattered to this community.  Her life was senselessly taken from her by a depraved indifferent act. 

My deepest condolences and concerns go out to her family and especially to D’Janeira’s sisters and brother who were present at and severely traumatized by this horrific tragedy.”

As of this reporting, no information leads to any type of verdict in terms of James’ guilt or innocence for his involvement in this heinous murder. 

Regardless of Thomas’ guilty verdict, there is no way to make this young girl’s family whole again.  While there is at least some type of semblance of justice in this case.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Suspected gang member arrested at HS football game after stash of guns found in stadium bathroom (in police-defunded San Fran)

SAN FRANCISCO, CA – Police in San Francisco arrested an alleged gang member and one other in connection with a cache of guns reportedly found inside of the football stadium’s bathroom earlier in October.


San Francisco Police Public Information Officer Raj Vaswani confirmed the arrest of two individuals, identified as a 18-year-old male and a 35-year-old female, regarding a stash of guns found inside of the Kezar Stadium bathroom during a high school football game on October 7th.

Officer Raj Vaswani noted in the post on Twitter that one of the two suspects is an alleged gang member but did not specific whether it was the male or female taken into custody.


The identifies of the two suspects arrested were also not released, nor did police suggest any possible motives or intentions associated with the weapons located inside of the stadium bathroom.

It’s unclear as of this writing what specific charges the two are currently facing.

In other news regarding San Francisco Police, homicide investigators recently made an arrest regarding a murder that occurred as a result of an assault that transpired in late September


Officers from the San Francisco Police Department went to the 1400 block of Treat Way on October 1st to investigate a homicide.

The San Francisco Medical Examiner’s Office called SFPD Homicide detectives and informed them that a 34-year-old male victim had died that day, and that his death was most likely the consequence of an unreported assault that happened on Treat Way and Kamille Court on September 28th.

On the evening of the assault, witnesses told investigators that the victim was with a group of individuals in the vicinity of Treat Way and Kamille Court when an unknown suspect approached the victim and struck him in the face, causing him to fall to the ground and hit his head.

The victim was taken to a nearby hospital, where he eventually died from his injuries.

The homicide suspect was later identified as 32-year-old Asafo Ia, according to police.

Ia reportedly turned himself in to authorities on October 4th at approximately 10:30 p.m. without incident.

Authorities say that Ia was taken into custody and charged with one count of murder and also failing to register as a sex offender. The suspect is currently being held at the San Francisco County Jail.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Submit a Correction
Related Posts