Father of San Fran DA – a convicted domestic terrorist and cop-killer – granted parole after 40 years in prison


ALBANY, NY – A man who was a part of a domestic terrorist organization was found guilty of killing two police officers in 1981.  He was sentenced to 75 years to life, and yet, after serving only 40 years of his sentence, was just granted parole and will walk free on the streets again.

The man, David Gilbert, is the father of San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin.  Boudin is one of the people who were known to be an active supporter of the convicted domestic terrorist

Boudin and other supporters have worked hard to get Gilbert to be released the same as others who have already been freed.

Boudin, even though he works as a District Attorney, and therefore a prosecutor, was ecstatic when he heard the news that his father is being freed. 

In multiple posts on Twitter, Boudin said:

“My father was granted release on parole today, after more than 40 years in prison!  I am so grateful to the Parole Board. 

I’m also grateful to everyone who has supported my father during his more than 4 decades behind bars.  I’m thinking about the other children affected by my father’s crime and want to make sure that nothing I do or say further upsets the victims’ families. 

Their loved ones will never be forgotten.  And I am thinking of the other people inside who have worked so hard to transform their lives and hope one day to return home.”

Gilbert was not supposed to be eligible for parole until 2056, however, disgraced former New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, in one of his last acts in power, decided to commute his sentence to a minimum of 40 years served and referred his case to the Parole Board. 

Cuomo’s rationale was that Gilbert had served 40 years in prison and had contributed to AIS education and prevention programs as well as worked in various roles while he was in prison.

When the Parole Board reviewed the case, on October 19th, they decided that the convicted murderer should go free.

Jose Saldana, the Director of Release Aging People in Prison Campaign, spoke about Gilbert’s release:

“The purpose of parole is to evaluate people for release based on who they are today, not to extend sentences into perpetuity.  There is no doubt that he will be an asset to the community.”

While some people are applauding the move, others are not.  Not only was Gilbert a part of a domestic terrorist organization, but his actions killed three people total, two police officers and one bank guard.

It was 1981 when Gilbert and Boudin’s mother, Kathy Boudin, were members of the Weather Underground which had teamed up with another militant group, the Black Liberation Army. 

On October 20th, the group set a plan in motion to steal over 1 million dollars from an armed car near the Hudson River in Nyack. 

During the robbery, Nyack Police Officers Sergeant Edward O’Grady and Officer Waverly Brown were killed along with Brink’s Guard Peter Paige. 

Gilbert, Kathy Boudin, and others stood trial for the heinous crimes in which three people lost their lives. 

Instead of showing remorse or concern for the families they tore apart, Gilbert proclaimed that he and the others were freedom fighters and that all of the court proceedings were illegitimate.  Gilbert and the others were found guilty.

When both Kathy Boudin and Gilbert were sent off to prison, Boudin was only 14 months old.  The people who the convicted murderers decided should care for their children were Bill Ayers and Bernardine Dohrn.   

While some people may have applauded Gilbert’s release from prison, others were not.  Pearl River Assembly Member Michael Lawler called the decision to parole Gilbert was “an absolute abomination” and those who granted it should “resign immediately in disgrace.”  He further added:

“David Gilbert was part of a terrorist group that assassinated two police officers and a Brink’s security guard in one of the most heinous domestic terror attacks in New York State.  He belongs in jail for the rest of his life.  My heart breaks for the families and our community.”

Sgt. O’Grady’s widow, Diane O’Grady, also did not appreciate the release of Gilbert.  She said:

“It has been said, ‘Time heals all sound.’  I do not agree.  The wounds remain.  In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens.  But it is never gone.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Criminal justice “reform”: Man with 13 prior arrests released by judge, then opens fire on police

HARTFORD, CT- Connecticut’s “criminal justice reform” appears to have cost a Hartford woman her life and came perilously close to also costing the life of a Hartford police officer.

WFSB-3 in Hartford reports police in the capital city have arrested a man who fired a gun at a city police officer early Tuesday morning.


The incident occurred at around 1:30 a.m. as an officer was conducting “routine” patrol in a parking lot on Main Street when a man walked up to her marked police cruiser.

The officer spoke with the man to find out if he required any type of assistance, and was in the process of calling for an ambulance when the suspect pulled out a gun and fired through the driver’s side window of the patrol vehicle. Police say the gunshot narrowly missed hitting the officer.

The cruiser’s window shattered, resulting in the officer sustaining cuts to her face. The officer, who was not identified was able to move her cruiser out of harm’s way, and the suspect fled the scene on foot.

Responding officers were able to catch up to the suspect, who was taken into custody. He has been identified as Jose Cajigas, 31, who’s been charged with criminal attempt to commit murder, criminal possession of a firearm, and unlawful discharge of a firearm. Police say they recovered a gun at the scene.

Hartford police say that Cajigas has a long criminal history, with thirteen prior arrests. He has also been identified by police as being a “person of interest” in a recent homicide in Hartford which occurred on Spring Street.

Police were able to match a casing found on the floor of the Hartford officer’s cruiser to casings found at the scene of the Spring Street murder on Monday, where a woman sustained fatal gunshot wounds.

He was last arrested on Oct. 15, where he was charged with violation of probation and other charges, and was also found to be in possession of another firearm. With some of the strictest gun laws in the country, it is unknown how a criminal was able to circumvent the tough Connecticut gun laws. It’s almost as if criminals don’t obey gun laws. 


Hartford police chief Jason Thody told reporters in a press conference Tuesday afternoon that the officer, a two year veteran, was transported to an area hospital for treatment of her injuries, the New Haven Register reported.

“This is a reminder that our officers put themselves in danger every single day,” said Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin. “This was an attack that could very easily have ended with an officer critically injured or killed.”

During the press conference, Thody released a statement as follows:

“This was an unprovoked attack on one of our officers that was trying to provide assistance to her attacker. It puts a spotlight on the dangers police officers face, even in some of the most routine situations.

“I am thankful that she showed bravery and quick-thinking to escape her attacker while keeping him in sight until her fellow officers could assist. All of the officers involved did an outstanding job in taking a dangerous individual into custody, making our community a safer place, and ensuring that all of our officers went home safe at the end of the shift.”

“We are incredibly grateful and incredibly lucky that she is okay physically. This was an attack that could easily have ended with an officer critically injured or killed. It is clear that the intent of this individual who committed this crime was to kill one of our officers,” Bronin added.

Law Enforcement Today has learned from a source that Cajjgas’s arrest on October 15 involved a number of warrants held by police, and also for questioning in an unsolved homicide.

The source, who was not authorized to speak publicly on the arrests, said the operation to take Cajigas into custody was undertaken by officers from several jurisdictions.

As officers attempted to take him into custody, Cajigas fought with police and was reaching for a gun concealed in his waistband, with a number of officers on top of him attempting to restrain him. Thankfully, no officers were injured.

Cajigas had in his possession over 50 bags of fentanyl, cocaine, and PCP, in addition to the firearm, which he did not have a permit to carry. After he was restrained, he told officers he had planned to shoot them if he had gained control of the gun. This was confirmed by our source.

Thankfully in neither one of these incidents no officer was seriously hurt. This is just a microcosm of the risks police take every day. Moreover it is another example of failed policies in blue states and cities. How many people will it take to get seriously injured or killed before state legislatures start to take our safety and security seriously?

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts