We’ve just learned that charges have been filed against a father and daughter who were arrested in Los Angeles county this week after a disturbing crime.

Police said the duo kidnapped a woman from North Las Vegas, robbed and raped her and left her to die in the California desert.

Charges have been filed against Stanley Alfred Lawton, 54, and Shaniya Nicole Poche-Lawton, 22. 

Those charges include kidnapping to commit another crime, attempted murder, forcible rape and first-degree ATM robbery.  This after what police are describing as a “vicious” crime spree last week.

According to police, Lawton was arrested on Wednesday in Palmdale, California, and Poche-Lawton was arrested early Thursday.

According to authorities, the father and daughter kidnapped the unnamed woman who is in her 40s on or about Oct. 30 in North Las Vegas, Nevada.  They say the two then held her captive in California for about a week. 

That’s where they say she was raped, assaulted and forced to withdraw money from an ATM machine.  The details were announced at a press conference Friday by Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Capt. Eddie Hernandez.

“It’s a vicious case,” Hernandez said. “It’s at gunpoint by force, that victim is then transported across state lines, held in a house inside a room for at least a week.” 

He said they didn’t intend on her surviving.

“At some point she was sexually assaulted, and then left for dead,” he added. 

Hernandez said on November 6, she was dumped by the side of the road in rural Kern County, California, which his north of Los Angeles.

She was found by military police from Edwards Air Force Base.  Police said she was disoriented, cold and “suffering from the elements”.  She was rushed to a hospital, where she was treated and released.

According to Hernandez, her captors knew her.  He didn’t elaborate further other than to say they are not related. 

When she was abducted, she suspects were armed, he said.

“She’s very lucky to be alive,” said Hernandez. 

They’ll both appear in court on November 12.  Currently, Lawton is being held on $4.5 million bail and Poche-Lawton is being held on $1 million bail.

In the meantime, police in California are also investigating a bizarre prison break.

It’s not often that you see people trying to sneak across the border INTO Mexico.  But it appears that was the case with two inmates who escaped prison earlier this week.  But here’s where it gets interesting.

Two wanted individuals were caught by Customs and Border Protection this week… when they were trying to reenter the United States via the Tijuana port of entry after recently escaping from a California jail. The two individuals were both in jail, awaiting trial for charges of murder for the both of them.

The two murder suspects, Jonathan Salazar and Santos Fonseca , had escaped from a California jail over the weekend this past Sunday and were arrested by federal officials while trying to enter the United States from Mexico, authorities had said.

The motivation behind exiting the coutry after their jail and then an attempt to reenter hasn’t been disclosed yet as of this time.

Monterey County Sheriff’s Office Captain John Thornburg had stated that Jonathan Salazar, 20, and Santos Fonseca, 21, were arrested by Customs and Border Protection officials at a port of entry at Tijuana just after midnight on November 7, 2019 while they were opting to simply walk through the border’s port of entry.

Captain John Thornburg had mentioned that the two are currently in the custody of Monterey County officials and are on their way back to a jail in Salinas, hundreds of miles north of the U.S.-Mexico border. This being the jail that the pair had also previously escaped from just earlier this month.

Like something straight out of the classic film “Escape from Alcatraz”, Salazar and Fonseca had escaped Sunday from the Monterey County jail in Salinas after climbing through a hole they made in the ceiling of a bathroom, narrowly squeezing through a hollow wall and kicking open a hatch as a means to aid in their efforts to attain freedom.

Thornburg said authorities had received a tip that the pair, both born and raised in California, had been spotted in the Mexican border city of Tijuana and had alerted federal officials once becoming privy to the potential whereabouts of the two escaped inmates.

While local authorities were following leads to expedite the retrieval of the two escapees, a tip had come in reporting that Salazar had been possibly spotted at a motel in Marina about 10 miles from the Marin County jail in Salinas.

Fox News reported that on Tuesday, deputies responded to a Motel 6 in the town of Marina around 11:30 a.m.

Law enforcement officers were tipped off when “an employee [of the motel] reported that 20-year-old Jonathan Salazar was hiding out in the building.”


He escaped from prison. Now he’s on the run again after dodging a SWAT raid on his hotel hideout.

At the time of the arrival to the motel, there was no response from the room that Salazar was thought to be in. The Monterey County Sheriff’s Office reported in a statement that, “after about eight hours of trying to make contact with the escapee believed inside a Motel 6 in the town of Marina, police SWAT deployed a flash grenade and raided what turned out to be an empty motel room.”

After the raid, Capt. John Thornburg of the Monterey County Sheriff’s Office said they concluded that while he might’ve been there, he had escaped justice yet again.

Officers “searched the room and he is not here.  I’m confident nobody left the motel after we got here, so that time between them calling and us getting here he apparently did leave.” 

“We have a strong belief that he was here, OK, from the witness or the person that called, the interviews we conducted,” he said. “It’s disappointing. I mean, we’ve been out here for hours, and, you know, people are waiting and we’re trying to do everything we can to locate this person along with the other gentleman and take him into custody.”

It is reported that police evacuated both the hotel and a nearby restaurant while securing the area around the motel.  Officers called out over a loudspeaker demanding that Salazar exit the room if he was inside, using both English and Spanish in hopes to communicate completely with the suspect.

Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans?  It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans.  Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice.  Check it out today.


SWAT arrived on scene at 6 p.m., with the flash bang grenade being deployed around 7 p.m., followed by the raid and search of the room.  Police K9s were brought in to search the rest of the motel for Salazar.  

Earlier this week, we reported on the escape of Salazar and fellow inmate Santos Fonseca, both being held on murder charges, from the California jail.

Police called Salazar and Forenseca “extremely dangerous” murder suspects.

Two murder suspects escape jail - third inmate who tried to kill police also on run


According to the Monterey County Sheriff’s Office, they escaped from the Adult Detention Facility in the early morning, unannounced.

They are both five-feet-seven-inches tall with black hair and brown eyes.  Fonseca weighs 150 pounds and Salazar weighs 170 pounds.

They’ve been in jail since 2018, where they were awaiting trial on unrelated murder counts “along with numerous other felony charges,” a sheriff’s statement said.

Because of California laws, authorities will not say whether or not the suspects are legally in the country.  We also know that authorities aren’t allowed to work with ICE, which regularly impedes investigations.


According to local media outlets, Fonseca was being held on two counts of murder and attempted robbery on a $2.25 million bail after being arrested for a June 2018 shooting, and another deadly shooting three days earlier.

Salazar had been arrested in the shooting death of 20-year-old Jaime Martinez. The victim, who was driving in Salinas with his girlfriend and 18-month-old son, was killed as a result of gun shot wounds. Martinez’s girlfriend was shot as well and was treated at a local hospital and survived, while the child wasn’t hurt at all during the flurry of gunfire.

Police investigated the October 12, 2017, shooting as being gang-related. Officers said his tattoos, which included the letter P on his cheek, refer to his Sureño offshoot gang, La Posada Trece, the Californian reported. His trial was scheduled to begin in January.

Fonseca is charged with shooting Lorenzo Gomez Acosta, 37, to death on June 2, 2018, while the victim sat in his car on a video call with his wife in Mexico, the Californian reported. She saw a scuffle, heard her husband screaming “no” and then gunshots rang out, Salinas police Officer Froylan Aranda said.

Fonseca told police that his gang leader told him to kill someone to prove he was still loyal to the “Boronda gang,” Detective Gabriela Contreras testified. Acosta was reportedly chosen at random.

Three days later, Fonseca shot and killed Ernesto Garcia Cruz, 27, in a Salinas park, authorities said. He told police that the gang leader also ordered the slaying and that he picked his girlfriend’s ex-boyfriend “to send him a message,” Contreras said.

Investigators haven’t figured out how long they worked on making the means of escape or if anyone else had helped them escape from the jail. All that can be concluded at this time was that they were reported missing at 8:15 a.m. Sunday morning and that their escape route was discovered during the realization that they were missing. 

Thankfully, both have been apprehended and will have their respective days in court. 

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First