Juice WRLD, born Jarad Anthony Higgins, died early Sunday at Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn after suffering cardiac arrest at Midway Airport. He just turned 21 last week.
While several of his travel companions told police that Juice had popped several “unknown” pills, an autopsy performed on the Chicago native was unable to determine his cause and manner of death, according to the Cook County medical examiner’s office.
His girlfriend later told authorities that he had taken Percocet and had a drug problem.
“The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office has determined that [additional] studies are required to establish the cause and manner of death,” a rep for the medical examiner’s office said in a statement. “Additional studies include cardiac pathology, neuropathology, toxicology and histology.”
Results from toxicological examinations can take several weeks to come back.
Chicago Police Department said officers were called to the airport at 1:34 a.m. Sunday to assist federal law enforcement with “a private jet arriving at the airport which contained large amounts of narcotics.”
When police arrived, they found the plane’s passengers in the airport with several pieces of luggage. A drug-sniffing dog from the Illinois State Police indicated narcotics were inside, and officers soon found 41 bags believed to contain marijuana and six bottles of suspected liquid codeine. Authorities seized 70 pounds of marijuana.
Three guns were also found on board, according to police, and two of the plane’s passengers, working as security for the rapper, arrested, charged and released later that day.
Cops say Juice Wrld may have swallowed several pills in an attempt to hide them before he suffered a seizure https://t.co/CTzzpTaaVe
— XXL Magazine (@XXL) December 10, 2019
Christopher Long, 36, of Buena Park, California, is charged with a misdemeanor count of possession of a firearm, CPD spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said. Henry Dean, 27, of Chatham, is charged with one count of possessing a high capacity magazine, Guglielmi said. Dean produced valid FOID and CCL cards. They are due in court December 30th.
Guglielmi said, “This is being classified currently as a death investigation. There no initial signs of foul play.”
According to the CPD, Juice suffered a seizure during the search, and a Homeland Security officer administered a shot of Narcan, which is often used to reverse the effects of opioid overdoses.
Donielle Davenport, who was Higgins’ chemistry teacher at Homewood-Flossmoor High School in 2015, said she was “heartbroken” to hear of his death.
She said that he was a “compassionate, intellectual leader” who cared about his classmates and teachers.
“He didn’t always like school, so as an incentive, I’d let him share his music with the class once his work was done,” Davenport said. “It was always mind-blowing to see how talented he was at such a young age. It takes some people a lifetime to find their purpose, but he knew his.”
Davenport said she remembers her former student for his sense of humor. She said she was pregnant at the time she was his teacher, and he would joke that her snacks were bad for the baby so that he could eat them.
Authorities reportedly seized 70 pounds of marijuana in vacuum-sealed bags from luggage onboard Juice Wrld's Chicago flight https://t.co/JIsMLVhCPF
— XXL Magazine (@XXL) December 10, 2019
Higgins always made the class laugh by “roasting” his classmates.
“It was all love. I was so proud to see his success on such a large-scale,” she added. “I always hoped I’d get to see him again, but I’ll always remember him for being such a great person.”
Should the toxicology report prove that Juice died of an overdose, it wouldn’t be the first celebrity overdose story, and it won’t be the last.
The entertainment and athletic worlds seem to have a lot in common on this one, but no more so than regular folks.
In late November, we shared this story with you. An athlete was at the center of this investigation.
Montae Nicholson of the Washington Redskins has got the spotlight on him now due to a drug scandal of the worst kind – an alleged overdose that took place at the athlete’s home.
Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans? It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans. Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice. Check it out today.
According to authorities, there was some pot and pills that were found at the home of NFL player Montae Nicholson. Police had searched the home after a night of partying that ended with a young woman who appeared to have overdosed.
Police had also found at the Ashburn residence some foil with residue on it during a search of the Washington Redskins safety’s home. There’s no report as of this time as to what the residue is on the foil or what it’s suspected to be.
The search was related to the death of a 21-year-old woman at the house.
The Washington Post had reported that the woman may have died from an overdose, without specification as to what the potential overdose stemmed from substance-wise.
The search warrant was made public and doesn’t go into detail as to who the drugs might have belonged to or where they were found at Nicholson’s home when seized.
Nicholson and another man, Kyle Askew-Collins, had apparently dropped off Julia Crabbe at a nearby hospital Thursday, November 14th after the duo had spent some time with the young women and noticed something was gravely wrong with her.
The hospital staff commented on the state Crabbe had arrived to the hospital, noting that the young woman “appeared to be deceased” when she was dropped off and that there were signs she died of an overdose.
The attorney for the NFL player, Mark Dycio, said that his client didn’t know anything about the drugs that were found by police while they were at his home.
Nicholson’s attorney told Justin Jouvenal of the Washington Post during an interview the following pertaining to the attention the case is getting and the scrutiny toward his client:
“Montae would have no knowledge of the drugs because they belonged to a guest. It’s a tragic story. It’s a tragedy that the news is focused on where she died instead of the drug epidemic ravaging the country.”
According to details gathered from the department investing the case, Justin Jouvenal had mentioned the following:
“Detectives with the sheriff’s office said a person, who is not identified, told them Crabbe, Nicholson, Askew-Collins and the person had traveled to the District on Wednesday to hang out and eat, according to the search warrant.”
According to the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office, they concurred with the medical professionals as well, saying that Crabbe was showing signs of an overdose. While everything is speculative at this point, in time everything can be reasonably determined via various testing of the substances located in the home and of the deceased young woman.
However, it could take months for a toxicology test to determine what drugs Crabbe may have taken.
Apparently, a witness had told police that Kyle Askew-Collins, the other man who took Crabbe to the hospital, had called them and said that Crabbe was foaming at the mouth.
The warrant to search Nicholson’s home did not specify to whom the drugs belonged, and the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office said the investigation was ongoing.
Police and officials also noted that through the course of events leading to the young woman being taken to the hospital, that at no point did anyone call 911. A witness did proclaim that the hospital wasn’t far from the home and it would be quicker if they just took her there.
Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!