Disturbing erotic lifestyles of the rich and famous began bubbling to the surface … again. However, numerous young women who say they were sexually abused by wealthy, Clinton-linked financier Jeffrey Epstein no longer appear set to testify after a last-minute settlement was reached in a closely-watched civil lawsuit against the registered sex offender.
Fox News reported the deal was announced Tuesday. The last minute agreement occurred just before jury selection was to begin. At least for now, it likely means none of the women will be able to speak in court about the alleged abuse they endured at Epstein’s hands, according to the Associated Press.
The 65-year-old Epstein, who has counted presidents and kings among his friends, reportedly operated a sex ring at his mansion in Palm Beach, Florida, a residence in New York City, and his private island estate.
Epstein’s island estate became the ire of many sleuths. His 72-acre Virgin Islands home was dubbed by some as “Orgy Island.”
Among his many guest included former President Bill Clinton. Court documents obtained by Fox News in 2016 showed Clinton took at least 26 trips flying aboard Epstein’s private jet—known as the “Lolita Express”—and apparently ditched his Secret Service detail on some of the excursions.
Authorities who seized trash outside Epstein’s home at the time found an invoice for the purchase of the book “SlaveCraft: Roadmaps for Erotic Servitude – Principles, Skills and Tools,” as well as the instructional “Training with Miss Abernathy: A Workbook for Erotic Slaves and Their Owners.”
The very wealthy Epstein, dogged by countless allegations of sex with underage girls, pleaded guilty in 2008 to state sex charges. Although he registered as a sex offender, his deal only required a year in jail. And even that is questionable as Tucker Carlson reported on his show that Epstein was allowed to leave confinement for work six days per week.
But in a secret deal with federal prosecutors led by now-Labor Secretary Alexander Acosta, Epstein avoided a possible life term.
— Chuck Weber (@ChuckWeber12) December 4, 2018
The lawsuit that had been set to go forward Tuesday was a tangled affair.
Bradley Edwards, an attorney who’s represented some of Epstein’s accusers, had filed the civil lawsuit seeking unspecified damages from Epstein, according to WPTV.
Epstein had previously filed a lawsuit against the attorney, claiming the civil cases involving the alleged victims were helping bankroll a Ponzi scheme run by a partner at Edwards’ former law firm, the New York Times reported. But after the partner said Edwards had no involvement, Epstein dropped the lawsuit and Edwards countersued, arguing that the financier was trying to damage his reputation, it added.
Witness lists had indicated some of the alleged victims could have testified in the civil lawsuit trial pertaining to the feud between Epstein and Edwards. The civil trial was expected to last about 10 days.
Yet on Tuesday came the announcement of the financial settlement. No one will testify, and the terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
So once again, the erotic mystery will remain “behind closed doors.”
A lawyer for Epstein on Tuesday also read an apology from Epstein to Edwards.
“While Mr. Edwards was representing clients against me, I filed a lawsuit against him in which I made allegations about him that the evidence conclusively proves were absolutely false,” the attorney reportedly said in court. “I am now admitting that I was wrong and that the things I said to try to harm Mr. Edwards’s reputation as a trial lawyer were false. I sincerely apologize for the false and hurtful allegations I made and hope some forgiveness for my acknowledgement of wrongdoing.”
Edwards, at a news conference following the announcement, said, “what happened today was a win.”
But was it?