Did Republican Rep. Mullin go missing after “rogue evacuation mission” to save Americans in Afghanistan?

Share:

Editor note: As we were publishing the article, we received word from two separate sources in Congress that Rep. Mullin has returned home safely.  It’s unclear whether his mission was a success.  We have not received independent confirmation from his office at this time that he has returned.  The original story from the Washington Post about him going missing seems to have mysteriously vanished.

According to reports on Tuesday, a United States representative went reportedly missing after expressing desires to engage in a “rogue evacuation mission” to assist in the rescue of Americans in Afghanistan.

It reportedly happened when Republican Rep. Markwayne Mullin was attempting to enter Afghanistan amid the Taliban’s takeover and the United States’ ostensibly botched exit.

The Republican Congressman was on a “rogue evacuation mission,” according to The Washington Post, despite State Department’s warnings not to venture to the country.

Rep. Mullin allegedly attempted to smuggle funds into Afghanistan by contacting the Tajikistani embassy, but embassy officials informed Rep. Mullin that they wouldn’t be able to circumvent Tajikistan’s laws on cash limits on his way to venturing one of the most perilous regions on earth.

The Washington Post reported that as of the evening of August 31st, officials are unsure as to the whereabouts of Rep. Mullin. Apparently, Rep. Mullin’s office also did not respond to several requests for comment from the Washington Post.

There is currently no word regarding the origins with respect to this presumed large sum of cash that Rep. Mullin referenced when reportedly contacting the Tajikistani embassy. There has also been no confirmation whether or not the U.S. Representative has departed the United States.

The Hill reported that Rep. Mullin was looking to hire a helicopter to venture into Afghanistan so that way a rescue could be facilitated for a family a five Americans – consisting of a mother and her four children.

According to reports, Rep. Mullin had before tried to travel to Afghanistan, having previously made it all the way to Greece earlier in August and later being denied by the Pentagon when he sought permission to enter Afghanistan.

An unidentified State Department official stressed the seriousness of the danger for a representative to enter Afghanistan in such a fashion, saying the following:

“To say this is extremely dangerous is a massive understatement.”

This alleged endeavor to enter Afghanistan comes roughly one week after Democratic Rep. Seth Moulton and Republican Rep. Peter Meijer tried the same thing, with both of them being veterans.

Both of those representatives discretely traveled to Kabul in an effort to conduct an oversight of the Biden administration’s evacuation of Afghanistan.

Needless to say, House officials were not pleased with that effort, lambasting both the Republican and Democratic representatives – with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi reminding representatives that engaging in said behavior is both “deadly serious” and that the House does “not want members to go” to Afghanistan without adhering to proper protocols.

This is a developing story.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further insight into this ongoing matter.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Anti-Taliban “resistance group” says White House ignored their calls, stayed silent as Afghanistan fell

(Originally published August 30th, 2021)

PANJSHIR PROVINCE, AFGHANISTAN- The Biden administration has made it clear that they don’t give a rip about the Afghan people being left behind as they turn tail and run, leaving countless numbers of Americans and Afghan allies behind.

So little do they care that the administration has cut off communication with the National Resistance Front, an anti-Taliban resistance group, the Washington Examiner reports.

According to Ahmad Massoud, spokesman for the resistance movement, he said the Biden administration hasn’t been in touch since Taliban insurgents gained control of Afghanistan.

“I tried to reach out. Unfortunately, we haven’t received any type of response from them,” said Ali Nazary, head of foreign relations for the group of resistance fighters. “We don’t see an interest at the moment for the resistance.”

In a statement to the Examiner, Nazary said that the stronghold held by the resistance fighters in northeastern Afghanistan’s Panjshir province could be used as a point of refuge for those stuck in Kabul, where a Thursday terrorist attack killed hundreds of people, including at least 13 U.S. service members, while injuring at least 18 more.  

Nazary said it had been “months” since he last had contact with the White House and called the silence a “lack of interest” from the Biden administration.

“They know I’m here. But we haven’t received any interest,” he said, according to the New York Post.

The National Resistance Front is thus far the only group providing any type of resistance to the Taliban.

“We haven’t received an invitation. We haven’t received any requests. It is surprising to us that this is the only resistance against the Taliban, the only force left against terrorism, the only force that is providing safe haven for thousands…but they haven’t given this option any consideration.”

After Thursday’s terrorist attacks outside the Kabul airport, Nazary suggested that groups stranded in the country could be sent to Panjshir.

“We believe the latest development with the suicide bombings make our case stronger because we’ve been warning the current administration, we’ve been warning all our Western partners…that international terrorism is stronger compared to 2001,” Nazary continued. “It shouldn’t be ignored,” the Examiner reported.

The resistance group should not be ignored in that it could provide an important ally for the United States and other countries who still have people stranded in the war-torn country.

Nazary said the resistance movement could be an essential partner in counterterrorism efforts inside Afghanistan.

“These are the last allies the United States has. If these allies are not on the ground, it will be very difficult to fight terrorism inside Afghanistan in the future,” he said. “There is still a threat…This is just the beginning.”

On Wednesday, head White House media propagandist Jen Psaki was asked if the administration had been in contact with the resistance fighters and Massoud in particular, and whether they had the administration’s support “or are they on their own?”

Psaki, as she always does punted the question.

“It’s a great question. I’ll have to talk to our team on the ground to see if there’s any more specifics we can provide.”

On Thursday after the terrorist attack, the White House was once again pressed on the question if they would be reaching out to Massoud. They did not provide any further details when asked.

The administration has however been in contact with Taliban leaders as the U.S. gets ready to grab its collective ankles and meet the random Aug. 31 deadline for the U.S. to leave the country.

According to Reuters, the Resistance and Taliban leaders engaged in a round of talks on Wednesday in order to get some kind of negotiated governance agreement both sides could come to an agreement on.

“We want to make the Taliban realize that the only way forward is through negotiation,” Massoud told Reuters.

Both sides agreed to a cease fire of sorts until they have the opportunity to engage in a second round of talks.

Last week, National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan lied to the Washington Examiner when he claimed U.S. trained Afghan forces had dissolved as the Taliban advanced through the country.

“Afghan forces appear to have essentially—are no longer operating as a coherent entity,” Sullivan said, however would not answer a question on the relationship with the Afghan army going forward.

In response to the terrorist attack, Biden made the claim that it was “ISIS-K” that carried out the attack and they were “enemies” with the Taliban. It was of course the Taliban that let the ISIS terrorists out of prison at Bagram Air Base, which U.S. forces abandoned ahead of the Aug. 31 deadline.

As of Friday, the U.S. had evacuated around 105,000 people, both Americans and Afghan allies since Aug. 14 according to a White House official. It is believed there are still some 1,500 Americans in the country, although the State Department has no idea exactly how many there are.

The New York Post said it reached out to the White House for comment, however they didn’t receive a response.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

‘Repulsive’: U.S. ambassador actually blames American citizens for now being trapped in Afghanistan

(Originally published August 29th, 2021)

WASHINGTON, DC – The State Department’s acting U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan is drawing fire after suggesting Americans caught in Afghanistan are to blame for being trapped in the war-torn country.

Ross Wilson, the acting U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan, said on Wednesday that Americans remaining in the country were repeatedly warned to leave and “chose not to.”

Wilson said:

“We put out repeated warnings every three weeks to Americans going back to March or April. Each one in stronger terms: Leave now, leave immediately.

“Never in my 40 years of working at the State Department have I seen such strong language used. People chose not to leave. That’s their business, that’s their right. We regret now that many may find themselves in a position they would rather not be in, and we are determined to try and help them.”

Ross continued that the administration wants to see citizens evacuate Afghanistan before the August 31 deadline set by President Biden. However, he also stressed that the deadline does not end American involvement in the country.

The ambassador told CBS evening News’ anchor Norah O’Donnell:

“We would like for all those who wish to get out of this country to do so and to be able to do so by August 31, especially American citizens.

“Our commitment in this country and our involvement in this country doesn’t end on that date. We believe that there will be possibilities for Americans to be able to get out of this country. America’s commitment to American citizens, in particular to our staff, to those who served our country, that isn’t going to end.”

There have been numerous journalists and firsthand accounts of people trying to get to Kabul Airport being blocked by Taliban fighters, including those carrying American passports.

Additionally, two horrific explosions at Kabul Airport killed at least 60 Afghans and 13 U,S, service members yesterday. Over 140 including 18 U.S. servicemen were wounded, according to the Pentagon and an official with Afghanistan’s Ministry of Public Health.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken said 4,500 U.S. citizens and their immediate families have been evacuated from Afghanistan over the last 10 days. Blinken said estimates are that as many as 6,000 Americans were trying to leave the country as of August 14.

ISIS-K terrorist group claimed responsibility for the attack. President Biden promised a quick and strong response:

“We will not forgive. We will not forget. We will hunt you down and make you pay.”

A U.S. drone airstrike reportedly killed a leader of the group in Afghanistan on Friday in retaliation.

Blinken refused to say if any diplomats would remain behind after all troops pull out on August 31, but he said there was “no deadline” to helping U.S. citizens or Afghan allies out of the country.

Ross’ callous statements were met with anger and disbelief by many, who said the comments were inappropriate. Foreign policy analyst Nile Gardiner tweeted:

“This is a disgraceful message from the callous Biden administration. Truly heartless.”

Stephen Gutowski, firearms reporter and founder of TheReload.com, called for Ross to be fired for his comments:

“This person should resign immediately or be fired. This is disgusting.”

Another Twitter post said placing blame for being trapped on the American citizens in Afghanistan is “repulsive”:

“This is repulsive. How about a story about American, (intelligence) and NATO aid workers, doctors, journ(ists), NGO workers, Embassy employees, people there to help humanity?

“Everything about the withdrawal is horrific and shameful, one of the lowest points in American history. Shame on you.”

_

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
 
Facebook Follow First
Share:
Related Posts