Developing: Two officers shot at on Sunday.  Here’s what we know.


The attacks on our police officers continued Sunday when suspects opened fire on officers in two separate incidents.

The first was in Richmond, Virginia late Sunday evening.  Details are just starting to come in, but here’s what we know.

The Richmond officer was responding to a call on the city’s North Side around 9:30 p.m. about a disorderly group near the intersection of 5thand Magnolia streets. During the encounter with the group, the officer was shot.

Richmond police spokesman Gene Lepley said the officer is expected to survive.  They didn’t release any other details.

The second shooting took place in Birmingham, Alabama in what had a bizarre ending.

A Birmingham officer was rushed to the hospital after shots were fired during a traffic stop. The call came in at 1:23 a.m. – from a Tarrant police officer using the Birmingham officer’s police radio to put out a plea for all possible assistance.

According to Birmingham police Sgt. Johnny Williams, it started when the North Precinct patrolman, a veteran officer, let dispatch know he was making a traffic stop on F.L. Shuttlesworth Drive near Cedar Street.

Just a few minutes after, the officer put out a call of shots fired.  He never finished his traffic stop radio transmission to the dispatcher. Police didn’t know his location, so they started a desperate search.

His patrol vehicle was found by a Tarrant police officer full of bullet holes – but he couldn’t find the officer.

That officer was found a short distance away near railroad tracks.

“He wasn’t communicating at that point,” Williams said.

Birmingham police, UAB police and Jefferson County sheriff’s deputies blocked off the roadways, including the interstate, so they could rush the officer to UAB Hospital’s Trauma Center.

The call went into the hospital for an officer shot.  But according to Williams, when he arrived at the hospital, they learned he was not physically injured.

According to Williams, the officer was conscious when found but not speaking. As of the time of this report, detectives are waiting at the hospital to interview the officer and an evidence technician has been called to the hospital to take pictures.

Dozens of officers have also arrived at the hospital to check on their brother.

Back at the site of the shooting, there is a massive police presence and evidence technicians have put out evidence markers noting shell casings.

Police officials requested trains passing through the area be stopped for their investigation. They have not yet identified any suspects.

Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans?  It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans.  Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice.  Check it out today.

LET Unity

The shooting caps a violent week in Alabama, where Wednesday saw three officer-involved shootings in less than five hours.

One of those shootings happened in Gardendale, where a man was shot and wounded.

That incident started just after 11 p.m. Wednesday at the rear entrance to First Baptist Church.

According to ALEA State Bureau of Investigation Lt. Jon Riley, a Gardendale officer was called to the church parking lot to investigate a report of a suspicious vehicle.

When he got there, he found four people standing outside of the vehicle.  One of them was armed with a gun.

That man, according to police, jumped into a vehicle and then tried to run over the officer – who opened fire at the vehicle. That suspect crashed a short distance away on Mt. Olive Road at Mountain Crest Parkway.

The suspect was found injured and rushed to UAB Hospital’s Trauma Center. We don’t know how badly he was injured – but the officer was not hurt.  It does appear he was shot by the officer.

The other three people who were standing outside the vehicle with the suspect are being questioned by agents. None of them were in the vehicle with the suspect when he fled.

The SBI is leading the investigation into the officer-involved shooting, but Gardendale police will be handling any charges against the suspects involved.

That shooting happened less than five hours after a dramatic shootout between Birmingham police and a robbery suspect in downtown Birmingham.

It started around 6:30 p.m. in downtown Birmingham Wednesday evening, and left an officer severely injured and a man suspected of robbing a downtown supermarket dead.

North Precinct officers were dispatched to a robbery in progress at the Family Supermarket, which is a family grocery store on 23rd Street North.

According to Birmingham Police Chief Patrick Smith, when police arrived they saw the suspect leaving the store and tried to stop him.

He then pulled out a handgun and opened fire, shooting Officer Cullen Stafford multiple times.

Smith says Stafford was rushed to a hospital by fellow officers, who were also met with gunfire upon arrival.

The shootout took place over at least five city blocks in a number of different locations, finally ending when police killed the suspect.

Stafford was hospitalized and was out of surgery by 10 p.m. – which was just two hours before his 36th birthday.

According to Sgt. Johnny Williams, the surgery went well – but Stafford will need several more surgeries.

The police chief says a second officer was also hurt in a fall, but is expected to be just fine.

Officer Cullen Stafford in 2017
Officer Cullen Stafford in 2017

According to, Stafford and another officer were seriously injured in June 2017 when fleeing homicide suspects crashed into their patrol cruiser.

The suspect, whose name has not yet been released, continued to fire at police and ultimately was killed in their return fire.

“It’s very difficult for everyone, but this is a very tough job,’’ Smith said.  “We have officers who are here who we’ve provided a lot of training to, a lot of support. We’re going to continue support them throughout this process, just like we did throughout the time we lost Sgt. Carter.”


He said thanks to training, the officers involved were able to keep things from being much worse.

“The Birmingham Police Department is out here working for you,’’ the chief said. “We’re going to do everything we can to make this city safe. Our officers are dedicated, and you can see just in the sheer actions that we’re not taking this for granted. Birmingham is going to be a much better place in the future.”

He also had a message for criminals:

“Our officers our out here to do a job and we’re going to take care of the problems and circumstances we encounter.”


And in yet another incident on Wednesday night, a Birmingham police officer had to open fire after witnessing a gun battle while on patrol.


The officer was on patrol near the Southtown Court public housing community on the 2300 block of 9th Avenue South around 10 p.m.

That’s when he saw two groups shooting at each, according to Birmingham police spokesman Sgt. Johnny Williams.

“He did return fire into the gun battle, but it’s unclear whether he struck someone,” Williams said.

The spokesman added that the state Bureau of Investigation has been called to assist in the case. That happens whenever an officer fires their weapon.

Williams said one person was hit during the shooting.

“We’re not sure who struck that person or if they were already injured. We believe they were already injured when the officer arrived on the scene,” Williams said.

He added that the person was removed from the scene before the officer arrived and taken to a hospital in a private vehicle.




Related Posts