Deputies arrest man for murdering Burger King employee after the drive-through service took too long


Orlando, Florida – A 37-year-old man is said to have shot and killed a 22-year-old Burger King employee who was working his third day on the job, according to police.

Sources further allege that the motivation for the shooting was because of the suspect receiving slow service at the eatery.

Orange County Deputies arrested Kelvis Rodriguez on August 2nd after he allegedly shot and killed Desmond Joshua Jr. over a verbal altercation regarding slow service on the evening of August 1st.

The victim was working at the drive-through window at the Burger King located at 7643 E Colonial Drive during the evening of the 1st, which the Orange County Sheriff’s Office says it was only his third shift at the establishment.

Employees from the location told investigators that the drive-through line was a little backed up, and that a woman later identified as Ashley Mason became irate at having to wait in line for so long.

At one point, Mason allegedly threatened the Burger King employees that she’d bring her “man” to the establishment after she exited her vehicle to complain about the wait time.

That display resulted in Mason’s order getting refunded and her being told to leave the establishment.

Deputies arrest man for murdering Burger King employee after the drive-through service took too long
Kelvis Rodriguez – Orange County Sheriff’s Office

According to witnesses, Mason returned to the location in her own vehicle and was accompanied by truck being driven by Kelvis Rodriguez.

Rodriguez reportedly instigated a fist fight with the victim Joshua in the Burger King parking lot, allegedly choking the 22-year-old at one point which resulted in other employees intervening and separating the two.

Witnesses then say that Rodriguez entered his truck and armed himself with a handgun, reportedly telling the victim the following before shooting him:

“You got two seconds before I shoot you.”

Thereafter, Rodriguez allegedly shot Joshua in the chest and fled the scene. The young victim later died while at the hospital.

Thanks to a description provided to investigators regarding the suspect’s vehicle, OCSO deputies were able to track Mason’s vehicle to a residence located on Ventura Lane where deputies also saw Rodriguez’s truck parked out front as well.

Deputies took both Mason and Rodriguez into custody shortly before 4:00 a.m. on August 2nd, with Rodriguez being charged with first degree murder with a firearm, destruction of evidence, and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

Rodriguez is currently being held without bond according to reports. It is unclear what authorities intend to charge Mason with at this time.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In other investigations, a 7-year-old child is now in critical condition following a shooting that happened in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania on the evening of August 1st.

Police say that young boy was shot in the head while he was playing on his front porch.

Officials say that the shooting happened at approximately 7:30 p.m. within the 200 block of North Simpson Street. The unidentified 7-year-old victim is currently at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and is said to be in extremely critical condition at this time.

Philadelphia Police Commissioner Danielle Outlaw dove into what’s known thus far with regard to the events leading up to the boy being shot:

“What we know at this point is that the little boy was sitting on his front porch, playing with a toy, when groups of males were engaged in gunfire and this young 7-year-old was struck in the head by an indiscriminate bullet.”

Reportedly at least 16 shell casings were recovered at the scene of the shooting and one arrest has been made thus far.

Police have not yet recovered a weapon at this time, nor have they released the identity of the suspect in custody. All that he been noted of the arrestee is that he was fleeing on foot from the scene before police apprehended him.

Aaron Morse, a local within the neighborhood where the shooting took place, is saddened by the fact that it’s dangerous for a child to play right outside of his home:

“A 7-year-old little boy can’t play in his own neighborhood. These guys don’t know what they’re doing with these firearms.”

Commissioner Outlaw released a formal statement on the case following the arrest of the suspect:

“An innocent seven-year-old was struck by gunfire and is in grave condition. Although an individual has been taken into custody, that does not diminish the impact this senseless act has on the child, his family, and the entire community.”

The police commissioner also stated that crimes of this magnitude have “no place” in the community, which she followed up with the following:

“While every act of gun violence is lamentable, it is especially tragic when the victim is among our most vulnerable; and it is our collective responsibility – police, and community – to ensure that our children are safe and well-protected.”

This shooting was preceded by two other fatal shootings within the city on August 1st.

Police said that a 34-year-old male was shot six times at approximately 6:30 p.m. within the 2000 block of North Marshall Street. The victim in that case was struck twice in the chest and four times in his left leg. Unfortunately, he passed away 10 minutes after he arrived at Temple University Hospital.

Hours earlier, a 20-year-old male was said to have been shot three times within the 2700 block of Howard Street. That victim was also transported to Temple University Hospital, where he was pronounced dead at 1:33 p.m. that day.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts