NEW YORK CITY, NY– On November 24th, two New York City police officers were shot in the Bronx by a man who is referred to as a “career criminal”. As expected, Mayor Bill de Blasio chose to blame the shooting on the fact that there are “too many guns out there”, instead of blaming the repeat criminal himself.
de Blasio said:
“It’s another example of a gun from out of state, comes into our city, hurts a New Yorker,”
He then added:
“This is something we’ve got to deal with in a whole different way. But in the meantime, thank God that there is one more shooter off the streets because of the bravery of these just absolutely extraordinary officers.”
Thankfully, both officers are recovering from their injuries, and were not fatally wounded. de Blasio did briefly praise the “bravery” of the “extraordinary officers” in his statement.
Below is a picture of the suspect's gun that was recovered after tonight’s shooting. pic.twitter.com/hkPCgB38BW
— NYPD NEWS (@NYPDnews) November 25, 2021
At this time, neither the officers nor the suspect have been identified, however Commissioner Dermot Shea said the shooting was carried out by a “career criminal with far too many arrests, still on the streets of New York City.”
Shea did discuss the gun that was used in the shooting, saying:
“What we know about this firearm is that it was reported stolen last year in Georgia. Obviously made its way, as far too many guns do, up into New York City and it’s causing carnage on the streets,”
Fox News reported that one of the officers, a female who has been on the force for about a year, was struck twice in the upper right arm. She returned fire and shot the suspect. She is expected to survive.
Her partner, a male officer with eight years on the force, was shot in the armpit area. He is also expected to survive the injuries.
The unidentified suspect was shot a total of three times and was in surgery at St. Barnabas Hospital at the time of the press conference. His condition was upgraded to serious from critical, the New York Times reported after speaking with an NYPD detective just after 2 a.m. Thanksgiving morning.
It comes as no surprise that the police-defunded streets of New York have become violent and dangerous. Shootings have become second nature at this point, and as Police Benevolent Association President, Patrick Lynch pointed out during the press conference, the problem lies with the fact that the criminals are no longer afraid to carry or use firearms.
“But perps aren’t afraid to carry them,”
“They’re not afraid to put it in their belt, put it in their pocket and pull it out on a police officer. That’s the problem.”
PLEASE PRAY FOR THEIR RECOVERY.
Two NYPD officers are shot and wounded in wild struggle with Bronx gunman https://t.co/6ZDEp13JI3
— Port Authority PBA (@PAPD911) November 25, 2021
Shea said the community did its job Wednesday night by calling 911 in response to the shooting and added:
“It’s time for the rest of the system to do its job and make the streets as safe as they can be.”
Malik Alsaedi, the manager of 7 Days & Nights Deli on 187th Street, told the New York Times that he heard the gunshots at about 8 p.m. on Wednesday and called 911.
“When I heard the shots, I didn’t think they were that close. I didn’t think they were a block away,”
“But when I walked outside, that’s when I realized it was something serious.”
Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters? Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you. Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories. Click to check it out.
Man out on bail with criminal record of firearms charges shoots 13-year-old in the neck in police-defunded NYC
November 25, 2021
NEW YORK, NY- According to authorities, the man accused of randomly shooting a 13-year-old boy in the Bronx had posted bail in a gun case just months prior, while also being out on parole for a weapons conviction.
— Uncle Dan (@Snake2Plissken) November 25, 2021
The young boy was shot in the neck while walking to school in a random attack on the morning of November 23rd. Cops stated that the gunman, 34-year-old Hubert Wiggs, allegedly opened fire around 7:20 a.m. on East 223rd Street near Bronxwood Avenue.
After the violent attack, which NYPD Assistant Chief Kenneth Lehr said “should not have happened,” Wiggs’ prior arrests were revealed. Lehr said in a statement:
“This individual today is on the street while on parole for a firearm, while out on bail for another firearm. And today, he’s walking around the Bronx with a firearm and we have a 13-year-old boy shot in the neck, and for the grace of God he’s alive here today.”
Suspect In Custody After 13-Year-Old Boy Shot On Way To School In The Bronx https://t.co/gnEfLWws0u
— CBS New York (@CBSNewYork) November 24, 2021
On Wednesday, November 24th, Wiggs was waiting arraignment on charges of second-degree murder, assault, reckless endangerment, and criminal possession of a weapon. Following a police interview outside of the NYPD’s 47th precinct, Wiggs was muttering unintelligibly as he walked out of the precinct.
According to records, Wiggs was paroled in July 2015 after being convicted of attempted criminal possession of a weapon and other charges five years earlier.
NYC man out on bail for gun crimes shoots 13-year-old boy in the neck, police say https://t.co/prfmCdS1Ql
— Michael Trumper (@MichaelC0717) November 25, 2021
On February 24, 2019, Wiggs was arrested in Manhattan after he was allegedly caught with a loaded .380 semi-automatic handgun and a small amount of PCP in another person’s car. He was accused of getting into the driver’s seat of a car in Harlem without permission while a woman and child sat inside.
Wiggs was charged with two counts of criminal possession of a weapon as well as unauthorized use of a vehicle and criminal possession of a controlled substance. His bail was set at $100,000 and posted on June 1st. The case is open and pending, with the next court date set for January 18, 2022.
On the morning of November 23rd, Wiggs opened fire on the teenage boy. When officers arrived, they found an emotionally disturbed man acting erratically. A .38 caliber revolver with one spent round was recovered at the scene.
The teen, who has been identified as Khamani Garrett, was taken to Jacobi Hospital in stable condition. Fox News reported that thanks to a controversial bail reform law New York implemented in January 2020, most people are automatically released before trial for misdemeanors and nonviolent felonies.
— iamfish (@iamfish111) November 25, 2021
Authorities said that the law has made it difficult to keep criminals off the streets and suspects are routinely released for serious crimes. On the day of the shooting, NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea posted to Twitter:
“1 inch to the side & this is a very different story… Imagine that’s your child, on their way to school, only to be hit with a bullet fired by a criminal who’s: out on a pending 2019 GUN case, AND he’s already on parole for a prior WEAPONS conviction. Today, AGAIN w/ a gun.”
A 12-year-old boy who attends the same school as the victim said:
“I was telling my mom it could have been me because I walk the same way to the train station. He should be safe walking on the street.”
Wiggs was taken into custody without incident. He faces a slew of charges in connection to the shooting, including attempted murder, assault, criminal possession of a weapon, reckless endangerment, criminal possession of a weapon, and menacing.
“This individual today is on the street while on parole for a firearm, while out on bail for another firearm. And today he’s walking around the Bronx with a firearm. We have a 13-year-old boy shot in the neck, & for the grace of God he’s alive here today.” https://t.co/Ym81IoEsuS
— Mental Ammo (@MentalAmmo) November 25, 2021
Editor note: In 2020, we saw a nationwide push to “defund the police”. While we all stood here shaking our heads wondering if these people were serious… they cut billions of dollars in funding for police officers.
And as a result, crime has skyrocketed – all while the same politicians who said “you don’t need guns, the government will protect you” continued their attacks on both our police officers and our Second Amendment rights.
And that’s exactly why we’re launching this national crowdfunding campaign as part of our efforts to help “re-fund the police”.
Convicted rapist who plead guilty to sexually abusing four teenage girls won’t serve a day in prison in New York
November 18th, 2021
NIAGARA COUNTY, NY – In what many sexual abuse victims would consider a slap in the face, a judge in New York has decided that a man who pled guilty of sexually abusing four teenage girls will not serve one day in prison.
Convicted rapist Christopher Belter sexually assaulted 4 teenage girls in 2018 and a judge just sentenced him to probation. He won't receive any jail time for his actions. Judge Matthew Murphy is a disgrace to the state of New York. pic.twitter.com/9yITgv62kZ
— Fifty Shades of Whey (@davenewworld_2) November 18, 2021
In 2019, the defendant in the case, Christopher Belter, told the world what four teenage girls already knew, that he was guilty of sexually abusing them at his house in 2018. He plead guilty in court to two counts of second-degree sex abuse, third-degree attempted abuse, and third-degree rape.
Niagara County Court Judge Matthew J. Murphy, III, sentenced a man who freely admits that he sexually abused four teenage girls to eight years of probation on November 16th. Apparently, for some reason, Murphy believes that it would be wrong to sentence Belter to prison, where he belongs.
Murphy sentenced Belter to eight years of probation and requires that he register as a sex offender…for admittedly sexually abusing four teenage girls. Murphy said that he agonized over how he was going to sentence the criminal before he decided on a sentence so lenient that it shocks the conscience. Murphy said:
“I agonized – I’m not ashamed to say that I actually prayed over what is the appropriate sentence in this case. Because there was great pain. There was great harm – There were multiple crimes committed in this case.
It seems to me that a sentence that involves incarceration or partial incarceration isn’t appropriate, so I am going to sentence you to probation…It’s going to be like a sword hanging over your head for the next eight years.”
This is among the most disgusting rulings I’ve ever seen. Wealthy white bit rapes four teenagers, IS CONVICTED, gets no jail time from the judge.https://t.co/UOi4AGCMpY
— Elie Mystal (@ElieNYC) November 17, 2021
The victims, in this case, were appalled at the sentence handed down by Murphy. One of the victim’s attorneys, Steve Cohen, noted that justice was not served for the victims. He said:
“I am deeply, deeply disappointed. I expected a different outcome today. Justice was not done today…He [Belter] is privileged. He comes from money. He is white. He was sentenced as an adult, appropriately – for an adult to get away with these crimes is unjust.”
Cohen’s client was so distraught at the sentence that she appeared to be going into the bathroom to “throw up.” As the victim got up to go towards the bathroom, Cohen said:
“I believe she’s in the bathroom throwing up, right now, excuse me.”
Belter, who sought mental therapy in the two years since he plead guilty to the case made a statement to those in the courtroom. He said:
“Through treatment and reflection, I’ve come to feel deep shame and regret for my actions none of you deserved to be in this situation. I hope each of you could close that wound I gashed…I know though, that a scar will remain that will serve as a reminder of the evil of that night.”
THIS IS 18 YEAR OLD CHRISTOPHER BELTER. HE PLEAD GUILTY TO RAPE AND SEX CRIMES BUT BECAUSE HIS MOTHER IS A LAWYER HE GOT OFF ON A YEAR OF PROBATION. LAST YEAR HE WAS ALLOWED TO ATTEND SCHOOL WITH HIS VICTIM.
REMEMBER HIS NAME AND HIS FACE.
MAKE THIS FOLLOW HIM. pic.twitter.com/ENRmZJFzeK
— ryan 🔪 (@loveanxietyxoxo) August 29, 2019
Belter initially was arrested for the rapes he admitted to committing in 2018 at his mother’s house in Lewiston, New York. At the time of his arrest, police also took his mother, Tricia Vacanti, into custody as well for providing alcohol and marijuana to underage kids.
Belter would plead guilty to the rape charges in 2019 and was sentenced then to two years of probation, again, for raping four teenage girls. The judge offered Belter the opportunity to complete the term of probation with no violations and if was able to do so, she would be treated as a youthful offender. That would have enabled Belter to avoid registering as a sex offender.
Even though he was given the chance of a lifetime, Belter would violate the terms of his probation for viewing pornography, something he was prohibited from doing. Belter would explain to his probation officer that he had been viewing porn since he was seven years old and that it was a “coping mechanism” for him.
Murphy was assigned his case and correctly determined that Belter did not deserve the leniency of being sentenced as a juvenile and opted to sentence him as an adult. Sadly, Murphy’s ability to provide stiff consequences to Belter stopped there.
Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.