Daunte Wright had warrant related to choking and robbing woman at gunpoint prior to fatal police shooting


MINNEAPOLIS, MI – Daunte Wright, the 20-year-old man shot and killed by a police officer in Brooklyn Center on Sunday afternoon, had an open warrant for his arrest related to an armed robbery when he was killed, according to court records.

Wright and another man were charged with first-degree attempted aggravated robbery in December 2019. The men allegedly attempted to steal $820 from a woman at gunpoint, according to documents obtained from the Hennepin County District Court.

Wright was shot by police in the suburb of Minneapolis around 1:50 p.m. after being pulled over for having an expired license plate on his vehicle. Police learned of the warrant during a records check and attempted to place him in custody.

Wright struggled with officers and re-entered his vehicle. Officer Kim Potter intended to fire her Taser to stop Wright, according to police and video of the incident, but accidentally drew her firearm instead. She fired one shot. Wright drove a short distance before crashing his vehicle into another vehicle. He died reportedly from the gunshot wound a short time later.

According to court documents, on December 1, 2019, Osseo police responded to an apartment in the 600 block of North Oaks Drive for a report of an assault and robbery.

The female victim reported that she was at her apartment the previous night with her female roommate and two males, who stayed over “to party.” The men were identified as Emajay Maurice Driver, 20, and Daunte Wright.

At approximately 2:30 a.m., the victim told the two men to get a ride home, but they could not find a ride, so they stayed at the apartment sleeping on the floor.

In the morning, the victim’s roommate left to obtain $850 to pay the victim for rent.  The roommate then left for work, leaving the victim with the two men. The men called for rides, and while waiting, told the victim they were going to look for someone to rob.

The men’s ride arrived, and the three walked to the door. Wright allegedly turned around and blocked the door with his body. Wright pulled out a black handgun and pointed it at the victim demanding the rent money.

The victim reacted by saying, “Are you serious?”

Wright responded:

 “Give me the fucking money. I know you have it. I’m not playing around.”

The victim had the money hidden inside her bra. Wright placed his hand around the victim’s neck and choked her while trying to pull the money out from under her bra. The victim kept shouting at Wright that he needed to get out of her apartment “because the cops are close.”

Wright told the victim he would shoot her and said:

“Give me the money and we will leave. Give me the money and we will go.”

Wright then tried choking the victim again and tried to take the money. The other man, Driver, told Wright to leave with him, and they fled in a white Cadillac without obtaining the money.

Wright was later arrested and released on $100,000 bail. He then violated his bail conditions in July when he failed to report to his court monitor. According to reports, he was also found in possession of a gun at some point after his arrest, also a violation of his bail conditions.

Wright was also arrested previously on a drug possession charge and a trespass charge. Details of those arrests were not immediately available.

Then-Police Chief Tim Gannon, who resigned Tuesday along with former Officer Potter, said no weapons were found in Wright’s vehicle following the shooting. Potter could be charged in the case as early as today.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity
Looting and violence explode in Minneapolis – National Guard activated after police shooting of criminal

April 12, 2021


BROOKLYN CENTER, MN – Minneapolis exploded in violence again last night after the police shooting of a black man during a traffic stop. Rioting and looting spread throughout the city, and the Minnesota National Guard has been called in to help quell the violence.

The violence erupted after an officer shot and killed 20-year-old Daunte Wright during a traffic stop in Brooklyn Center on the border of Minneapolis. Brooklyn Center police said in a news release that an officer stopped Wright for a traffic violation shortly before 2 p.m.

During the stop, officers determined Wright had an outstanding arrest warrant and attempted to take him into custody. When Wright fled and re-entered his vehicle, one officer fired a shot, striking the man.

Wright continued to drive for several blocks before his vehicle crashed into another vehicle. Officers and medical personnel attempted “life-saving measures,” but Wright died at the scene, according to the statement.

Police said a female passenger, later identified as his girlfriend, in Wright’s vehicle sustained non-life-threatening injuries and was transported to a local hospital. Occupants in the other vehicle were uninjured.

Police said officers were wearing body cameras and the department does utilize dash cameras, both of which were activated during the incident.

Brooklyn Center Police Department has requested the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) to conduct an independent investigation of the incident.

The independent investigation was not enough for demonstrators who gathered in Brooklyn Center shortly after the shooting. Wright’s family and friends joined the demonstrators as they marched in the streets and carried signs and flags reading Black Lives Matter.

About 100 protesters gathered near the scene of the shooting and pushed through police tape, confronting police dressed in riot gear. The demonstrations turned violent as two police cars were targeted by the crowd. Windshields were smashed on the police cars as the confrontation grew.

Police fired non-lethal rounds in an attempt to disperse the crowd.

Protesters later walked to the police headquarters where about 500 protesters ignored police orders to disperse. Protesters began chanting Wright’s name, and some climbed a police headquarters sign. Police used tear gas, flash bangs, and rubber bullets attempting to dispel the riotous crowd.

Police said one shot was fired at the front door of the police headquarters shattering a glass door, but that no one was injured.

The demonstrations devolved into rioting throughout the night, and the Minnesota National Guard arrived just before midnight. 



Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First


Submit a Correction
Related Posts