Officer down: Shooter on the run after opening fire on officer who tried to stop him from shoplifting.


Ferguson, MO – A Calvert City police officer, working an off-duty security job at Walmart in Ferguson, Missouri, was shot multiple times when he confronted a suspected shoplifter.

The gunman is still on the run. 

St. Louis County Police Department Spokesman Ben Granda said the officer was working as a security guard while in full uniform at the Walmart on West Florissant when he spotted a shoplifter at around 7:15.

Granda said the officer confronted the suspect at the exit of the store. That’s when the suspect pulled out a gun and shot the officer multiple times.

US News reported that Michael Brown Sr. says that on the anniversary of his son’s death, he would speak at a news conference in Clayton and urge St. Louis County Prosecutor Wesley Bell to reopen the case.

It was revealed that Brown, who was 18 at the time, had recently been involved in a strong-armed robbery when confronted by Officer Darren Wilson. Brown eventually battered Wilson to the point the officer discharged his weapon in order to spare himself from great bodily injury or worse.

Officer Wilson was cleared of wrongdoing, yet resigned in November 2014 when he was made into a scapegoat by the public.

The shooting caused the nation to explode into controversy over police and the “killing of unarmed black men” narrative and the slogan “Hands Up. Don’t shoot!”

registered voters negative view black lives matter

Violent riots broke out, tearing through the city. And they came in waves. The first of those waves wave of ‘unrest’ stemming from the shooting went on from August 9, 2014 – August 25, 2014. The second wave came after Officer Wilson was not indicted and lasted from November 24, 2014 – December 2, 2014. A third wave came August 9, 2015 – August 11, 2015 on the anniversary of Brown’s death. And more may come.

Michael Brown Sr. and Lezley McSpadden sued the city, former Police Chief Tom Jackson and Wilson in 2015. They cited a police culture hostile to black residents and claimed Wilson used excessive force.

Approximately three years after Brown’s death, his family received a settlement in that lawsuit.

In 2017, the city attorney in Ferguson, Missouri, says the city’s insurance company paid $1.5 million to settle a lawsuit filed by the family of Michael Brown.

The settlement of the federal lawsuit was originally announced that the figure was “in excess of $75,000.”

Turns out it was a lot higher. It’s unclear whether officials will be willing to give the closed case another look.

Barring new developments or evidence, it should be unlikely that it will be reopened.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts