BOSTON, MA —On Monday, September 28th, David Wright, 51, was resentenced in a Boston courtroom for swearing his allegiance to ISIS.
Last year, Wright was sentenced to 28 years in prison for trying to help ISIS kill Americans, however, that count was overturned.
— U.S. Attorney MA (@DMAnews1) December 19, 2017
According to TheBostonCalendar:
“The First Circuit Court of Appeals overturned Wright’s conviction on conspiracy to provide material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization charge because ‘the evidence . . . fails to show that there was ‘overwhelming’ evidence that Wright had conspired to kill Geller and others ‘at the direction of’ ISIS,” Justice David J. Barron wrote.”
Today, Wright was resentenced to 30 years, 25 years for the conspiracy charge and five years for obstruction.
Wright, along with his uncle, and Nicholas Rovinski, were accused of plotting to kill conservative blogger Pamela Geller, who had been critical of Islam.
Federal Judge in Boston has sentenced David Wright to 30 yrs plus lifetime supervision for his role in ISIS inspired plot to kill. @boston25
— Bob Ward Boston 25 (@Bward3) September 28, 2020
Wrights uncle was killed in 2015, after a confrontation with police.
Geller wrote a victim impact statement urging the judge to increase Wrights sentence to life in prison.
“There is no assurance that anyone can possibly give me that if he is released from prison at any time in the future, that he would not resume his quest to kill me and my relatives,”
According to Wcvb5, during his trial, Wright claimed he was only engaging in what he called an “ISIS Role Play Fantasy.”
Convicted terrorist set to be resentenced in Boston – David Wright already sentenced 28yrs prison for trying to help ISIS by killing Americans, but count was overturned last year. Arrested after his uncle was killed in a confrontation with police in 2015 https://t.co/06bBslawTd
— Raffaello Pantucci (@raffpantucci) September 28, 2020
Federal Judge Douglas Woodlock said Monday:
“There are some things that you don’t role play,”
Wright gave a statement that almost showed his repentance on Monday, he said:
“I’m an imperfect creature like everyone else … I have learned more about myself in the last three years incarcerated, than in my 30 years of life,”
He’s currently imprisoned in Indiana.
Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters? Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you. Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories. Click to check it out.
Here is another instance Law Enforcement Today brought you recently about a man who supported ISIS.
MINNESOTA – A man who allegedly supported the acts of the terrorist organization ISIS for several years while based out of Minnesota was recently charged for said alleged endeavors, according to the Department of Justice.
Minnesota Man Charged with Providing Material Support to ISIS https://t.co/poiwjLkHMo
— FBI (@FBI) September 17, 2020
The DOJ announced on September 16th that 23-year-old Abdelhamid Al-Madioum has been charged with providing material support to the Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham – a.k.a, ISIS. Obviously being a designated terrorist organization, these are some fairly serious charges.
Assistant Attorney General for National Security John C. Demers and U.S. Attorney Erica H. MacDonald for the District of Minnesota revealed the charges against Al-Madioum, and the alleged acts details the exploits of a man who used a family vacation to join ISIS.
According to the DOJ release, Al-Madioum and his family stem from Morocco but were naturalized citizens that resided in St. Louis Park, Minnesota. On June 23rd, 2015, the family decided to visit some family members in Casablanca, Morocco.
— Rosie memos (@almostjingo) September 16, 2020
Then, 15 days later on July 8th, Al-Madioum departed Morocco on his lonesome and decided to go to Istanbul, Turkey, and then on to Iraq and Syria. He was said to have wound up joining ISIS and managed to get caught in March of 2019 by the SDF and has since been handed over to the FBI.
The affidavit against Al-Madioum alleges that “from July 8, 2015, through March 15, 2019, Al-Madioum knowingly provided material support and resources, including personnel (namely himself) and services to ISIS”.
It’s currently unclear what exactly Al-Madioum did while providing services to ISIS, however, 18 U.S. Code § 2339B doesn’t exactly carry a lenient sentence in any form. If the accused was only providing support that didn’t result in anyone dying – then he could be looking at 20 years in prison.
However, if the rendered support resulted in anyone’s death, then Al-Madioum could be looking at life in federal prison. All in all, the justice system has never been kind to traitorous acts and with good reason as well.
Meanwhile in Minneapolis, conservative campaigners are getting murdered.
According to reports from Minneapolis, on Sept. 14 two members of Republican Lacy Johnson’s congressional campaign outreach team were shot outside a convenience store.
Local outlets have reported that one of the victims, 17-year-old high school senior Andre Conley, was fatally wounded during the shooting.
Two campaign team members for Republican Lacy Johnson, challenger to Rep. Ilhan Omar, were shot in Minneapolis, one fatally. https://t.co/7SG47NBkHw
— Breitbart News (@BreitbartNews) September 17, 2020
The circumstances surrounding the shooting are still unclear.
What has been revealed is that the two campaign aides, who were not actively engaged in campaign efforts at the time, were shot while outside of a convenience store located at North Fremont and North Dowling avenues.
Police have reportedly arrested a suspect in the case but have not released many details on the suspect’s identity.
A vigil was held for the slain teen on Sept. 16, during which Conley’s aunt stated the following:
“My nephew, someone took his life for no reason. Other people’s lives were taken as well, for no reason! We need to stop killing our children. I want everyone who is standing out here today, to say what I just said.”
Johnson, who is running against Democratic Rep. Ilhan Omar, stated that this very murder is evidence that there’s something awry within Minneapolis that needs to be addressed:
“Today, we are shocked and saddened to learn of this senseless act of violence. It is shocking and unnecessary acts of violence like this that prove why change is needed now more than ever in our community.”
Why is no one talking about it?
A black 17-year old volunteer for Lacy Johnson ( who's running against Ilhan Omar) was shot and killed in Minneapolis.
Arrest in Minneapolis teen's murder after chase through Plymouth lawns https://t.co/zDM0PwZHDT
— Agataن 🇵🇱🇺🇸 (@AgatonGato) September 18, 2020
As for the second person injured in the incident, he has been identified as Andre Kelley by way of a GoFundMe that was originally intended to go toward the family of the murdered teen.
According to the fundraising page, Conley’s family was grateful that someone would start a fundraiser for them but relayed that Kelley was still alive and could use the money more than they could.
This is a developing investigation. Please follow Law Enforcement Today to receive updates as this case progresses.
Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!