Connecticut – Registered sex offender Edward F. Boyle Jr. was convicted of killing 20-year old Louisa Scott by strangling her to death in 1980. Boyle threw her lifeless body into a nearby river.
Last week, Boyle was granted special parole, or a “strict form of supervised release.” This allows Boyle to be released February 18 to a locked residential treatment facility for sex offenders called January Center in Montville, Connecticut.
Louisa Scott’s family members have attended all of Boyle’s parole hearings. This one was conducted via video feed, so family sent letters, including photographs of Louisa, to the parole board opposing Boyle’s release.
Boyle originally served 19 years in prison. He was charged at that time for assaulting and murdering Louisa, along with five other rapes he committed which occurred in the 1970’s and 1980’s.
Boyle was released in 1999.
He used his renewed freedom to sexually assault a 14-year old girl, for which he served 5 years in prison. He was ordered to not have contact with the child upon his release.
Boyle was released under “strict supervision” in November 2009.
This time, he went out of range of his GPS tracking device, and failed to attend a sexual offender treatment center appointment. He was sentenced to 15 more months in prison.
Boyle was denied parole in 2011 because authorities had learned that he was corresponding with another 14-year old girl from prison. He was again denied parole every year since then, as he was never able to explain why he continued to prey on women no matter where he was or how he was punished.
Don’t worry, everyone. During his most recent parole hearing, you know, the one where he was granted freedom once again, Boyle swore that he was turning his life around.
Louisa Scott’s siter, Beverly Canfield, said that she was watching his hearing on the video feed. Boyle told the parole board that he “reinvented” himself, by getting his GED and tutoring other inmates.
No one was at the hearing on Boyle’s behalf.
In 2017, Louisa’s family participated in a TV interview on a show called Investigation Discovery.
Beverly said at that time:
“When we went last year, the [parole] chairwoman alluded to the fact that it would be in the best interest to put him in a halfway house and try to acclimate him to the community. The parole board did say he would have woman counselors. They want to see him interacting with woman counselors and they expect to see the same level of respect, and nothing out of line.”
May 31, 1980. It was just after 1 on a hazy Saturday afternoon in the small town of Coventry, Connecticut when a teenager made a shocking discovery – the body of a young woman partially submerged on the bank of the Skungamaug River. The 14-year-old raced home to contact police. When officers responded to the scene, they immediately took note of an abandoned car near the water's edge. Then, just steps away, they found the lifeless body of a female victim, fully clothed, with her torso face down in 3-feet of water. Investigators had little doubt the young woman had been the victim of foul play. She had ugly purple bruises on her neck that appeared to have been the result of strangulation. Detectives wondered if the young woman might be the owner of the abandoned car, and a driver's license found in the vehicle confirmed their suspicions. The murder victim was 20-year-old Louisa Scott. When her body was pulled out of the water, investigators found another critical clue, a small scrap of paper in her pocket. It had the name Wes and a phone number written on it. From the start, detectives were convinced that retracing Louisa's last hours alive and finding her connection to the mysterious Wes would be the key to cracking the case. But they had no idea how long and twisted a quest for justice it would be.The case begins Sunday at 10/9c on Investigation Discovery.
Posted by On the Case with Paula Zahn on Saturday, August 19, 2017
I hope they’re arming these women, because this parole board is clearly experimenting with these counselors, putting them in danger because they want to social justice warrior Boyle into freedom, so he can continue his lifelong pattern of preying on women, raping them, assaulting them, and killing them.
Beverly plans to keep up with the man that murdered her young sister 4 decades ago. She told reporters that she plans on tracking the sex offender registry.
“I’m not going to back off,” she said. “And if he’s arrested again, we’ll go back to the media and say it doesn’t work.”
Get ready to talk to the media, Beverly. Because spoiler alert: It doesn’t work.
Just last June, one of the parole panel member Terrance Borjeson told reporters that Boyle was denied yearly in unanimous agreement by parole board panel members because of the extent of his criminal history as well as the severity of the offenses. Borjeson said that Boyle’s many crimes have been “horrible” and “very scary.”
LET has a private home for those who support emergency responders and veterans called LET Unity. We reinvest the proceeds into sharing untold stories of those patriotic Americans. Click to check it out.
That was June. Less than a year ago. Apparently, there has been some kind of major shift in the thinking of the state Board of Pardons and Paroles in this short time.
Boyle was sentenced originally to be incarcerated until November 2024.
Borjeson told reporters last year that community safety is “top priority” and parole boards are meant to determine whether a person is ready to be out of prison without offending again.
“I think he’s preparing himself pretty well to eventually get out, but the risk was not worth the chance at this time,” Borjeson said.
Seven months later, though, it’s all good.
“What I’ve seen him do in the last few years while he’s been incarcerated gives me hope that when we release him, he’ll do ok,” Borjeson continued. “I’m hoping that he continues to do what he’s doing, so that prior to , he can get some supervision in the community to both help him re-integrate and protect the community.”
Because it worked so well last time.
Boyle’s “reintegration” into the community in the past has meant victimizing more women, more little girls. He has proved time and time and time again that he is not treatable. He’s not curable. And yet, we are more concerned with him “doing ok” in prison than protecting the women and children he will be released among. Never mind actual justice for those he’s terrorized. Assaulted. Raped. Murdered.
If Boyle were to be released anywhere near me, I would be raising the most hell I’ve ever raised. Wait, what am I saying? Of course he’s ready to be among civilized society. I forgot: He’s turning his life around. He got his GED.
Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!