Peaceful protests? Woman run over with stolen bus after riots break out following officer-involved shooting


BOGOTA, COLOMBIA Two days of rioting in Bogota, Colombia, that left 13 dead and hundreds injured has prompted Defense Minister Carlos Holmes Trujillo to apologize for an arrest that resulted in a man’s death and announce that two officers have been “implicated” and five others suspended for the deadly encounter.

Javier Ordonez, a law student and taxi driver, on Sept. 9 was found by police to be in violation of COVID-19 restrictions by drinking alcohol in public.

Officers attempted to arrest Ordonez, 46, who struggled repeatedly, and a bystander recorded the arrest as the officers and Ordonez wrestled on the ground. 

Riots exploded in the capital city as well as nationwide after the video footage went viral. The video shows the officers on the ground with Ordonez, but fails to show what led up to the parties going to the ground. 

In the video, officers are seen attempting to get Ordonez to give up his hands so they could handcuff him and he repeatedly refuses. Ordonez was tased by direct contact and he later died. 

In a video message to the nation on Friday, Trujillo said:

“The national police apologize for any violation of the law or ignorance of regulations by any members of the institution.”

Two police officers implicated in Ordonez’s death have been fired and face charges of abusing authority and homicide. Five other officers connected have been suspended.

One of the 13 deaths attributable to the riots came at the hands of rioters themselves, who had stolen a public transport bus. In the melee, a woman reported to be 40 years old was struck and left to die as the bus fled the scene. 

El Tiempo reports that a group of people who were at the riot stole a bus and somehow drove over the woman.  Medical personnel quickly responded to the scene and rendered aid.  They transported her to the hospital where she succumbed to her injuries.

Trujillo spoke of the incident, saying:

“The death of a woman, run over by vandals who participated in the theft of a public transport vehicle, causes deep pain.”

The incident that touched off the rioting involves a citizen resisting arrest and police trying to control the situation. During the struggle with Ordonez, one officer is seen touch tasing Ordonez while another is apparently fighting to get control of one of Ordonez’s hands.  During the encounter, the man is heard saying:

“Enough please, enough, no more, please . . . I’m choking.”

Yet, despite his pleas, he does not produce his hands in order to be handcuffed.  The officer repeatedly touch tases Ordonez while kneeling on his body while the other officer tries to get control of his hands.

Touch tasing is when an officer uses the Taser itself against a person in lieu of shooting the metal prongs into the person’s skin.  The main difference between the two methods is that touch tasing is a far less-effective means of delivering an incapacitating jolt of electricity than firing the probes. 

Counter pressure must be applied in order for the touch tase to be effective and is unnecessary when the probes are fired.  If there is insufficient counter pressure on a touch tase, the tactic is rarely effective in gaining pain compliance. 

A bystander to the encounter said:

“He’s telling you ‘please’ we’re recording you, don’t continue.  Why do you continue harming him if he’s said please?”

The video cuts shortly after this moment and nothing is recorded that shows how the ordeal ends.  What we do know is Ordonez was transported to a local hospital, where he was declared deceased. 

What is important to note, is that no one knows what happened prior to the officers and Ordonez going to the ground and no one knows what happened when the video stopped, with Ordonez still alive.

This incident sparked nights of riots in and around Bogota primarily against the police in the country and spread to other major cities, including Medellin, Cali and Manizales. 

According to Trujillo, the rioters have attacked 54 police posts and six police stations.  They have destroyed dozens of vehicles, including those for public transit. 

The recent riots are said to be the worst that have occurred in Colombia since November of last year, when rioters demanded the country agree to a peace deal with the National Liberation Army.  The Marxist group is alleged to have been involved in many human rights violations over the years. 

About the recent riots, Trujillo said:

“During these two days, 90 arrests and 11 apprehensions of minors have been registered.  156 people have been taken for their protection.  469 summons have been imposed for violation of the National Coexistence Code.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In another incidence of rioters turning their anger on other people, LET wrote about a Dallas man being beaten.


Dallas: Man beaten, stoned and left for dead by rioters after he tried to defend a shop

May 30, 2020 – DALLAS, TX – A man was critically injured Saturday night in the Dallas riots when he tried to defend a shop.

It was all caught on camera.  We should warn you – the video is incredibly graphic.

Witnesses say he tried to defend a shop with a large sword – and charged the rioters when the looters ran at him.

He was quickly overwhelmed.  They started savagely beating him with a skateboard and kicking him while he was down.

Then, the stoning began.

Elsewhere in the city, looters are breaking into stores and stealing safes.

A black man was pulled from his vehicle by rioters and beaten.

The mayhem comes just a day after the chief of police spoke face to face with rioters – warning them not to lay a finger on her officers.


In the meantime, an officer had his neck slashed and is reportedly fighting for his life after a violent attack on a number of officers in Jacksonville, Florida, on May 30th.

According to Mayor Lenny Curry and Sheriff Mike Williams, about 1,200 people showed up for the protest.


It started around 3 p.m. and Williams said there was “really good cooperation” from the organizers.

That quickly changed.

By about 6:30 p.m. a group of about 200 people “hung around” and began to confront police. Williams said:

“They attacked several police officers. They vandalized several police cars, attempting to light them on fire, breaking windows. We have one officer who was stabbed — was slashed in the neck and is currently at the hospital.”

He said this isn’t over yet.

“All this ends when these rioters go home. This is a small group that stuck around to create chaos.”

The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office used a crowd deterrent to try and break up the large groups.

Mayor Curry said he hoped for a peaceful day. He said:

“I watched it. There were some kids out there making their voices heard, respectfully, and then they left and the folks that are left are — it’s not about peaceful protest. It’s not about reform. It’s not about change. It’s about violence.”

“Police officers have been attacked, and we’re not going to tolerate it in our city. We’re not going to let them burn our city to the ground.”

He said in regards to whether a curfew might be imposed – “not at the moment” but that authorities “will talk about it.”

Further south, Miami-Dade County is the latest city to end up under curfew from 10 p.m. until 6 a.m. Saturday.

This comes as “peaceful protests” turned into complete anarchy.

Here’s a bit of what’s going on.

A SWAT Team showed at Bayside on Biscayne Boulevard after widespread looting began.

A group had stopped traffic on Interstate 95, creating potentially deadly conditions on the highway.  Then others gathered in back of the City of Miami police department, challenging officers in riot gear who held the line.

At around 7:45 p.m. near the police department in Miami, people began throwing rocks and firecrackers at officers, who responded with tear gas.

Across the city, groups of teenagers jumped onto police cars and set fire to vehicles.

Cruisers were set on fire on the south side of the Miami police department headquarters.

Other police vehicles under I-95 were vandalized with windows smashed out and heavily damaged.

Officers were also under attack in Chicago.

“Officers are under attack – and it’s going to get worse.  Rioters are coming in by the busload and they aren’t letting us do anything to stop it.”

Those were the words of an on-duty Chicago police officer tonight, who spoke exclusively to Law Enforcement Today on the condition of anonymity.

But the images speak for themselves.

On Saturday night, video footage hit Twitter showing officers violently attacked and dragged through the streets while masked rioters cheered.

The officers fought desperately to get away and protect each other… to no avail.

Mayor Lori Lightfoot, who has had countless dustups with the police department, held a press conference shortly after 8 p.m.

She said the protests had “evolved into criminal conduct” and imposed a curfew on the city: from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. until further notice.

Lightfoot said she was “disgusted” after seeing protesters use pipes, hammers and other objects to damage property. She spoke directly to the rioters:

“I’m here to call you out for your recklessness . . .  I’ve seen protesters hurl projectiles at our police department…bottles of water, urine and lord knows what else . . . I want to express my disappointment and really, my total disgust at the number of others who came to today’s protests armed for all out battle.’

Chicago Police Superintendent David Brown was also at the press conference.

“We will be taking you into custody when you destroy property,” or burn cars. That’s just facts.”

The crowd numbers grew to more than 3,000 people by 2 p.m. and started making way onto Lake Shore Drive and shut down portions of the roadway.

By 3:30 p.m., hundreds began to turn violent, throwing fireworks, bottles and we’re told gasoline at officers.

Then came the vandalism, as they hit buildings, cars and a bus shelter.

It didn’t take long for reports of injuries to come in, including of a police sergeant who had his arm broken near Trump Tower.

By 4 p.m., the crowds had split into multiple groups, escalating violence against law enforcement.

By 5 p.m., there were at least a dozen calls of 10-1, which is a police emergency, as they worked to control the crowd.

Rioters tried to overturn a Chicago police car.  Others broke out into fights with police officers.

Around 7:30 p.m. at Dearborn and Hubbard streets, a police vehicle was flipped over.

Mayor Lightfoot, of course, seized the opportunity to attack the President.

“It’s not easy when we have a president who is inciting violence . . . Let’s be better than him.”

Watch below as she’s “better than him”.

She made sure to urge people to wear masks while rioting.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First


Related Posts