Children not spared: Six killed, 56 others wounded over the weekend in gun-controlled Chicago

Share:

CHICAGO, IL –  At least 62 people were shot over the weekend in Chicago, including 11 children, and six of them have died as violence continues to rage in the streets.

Eleven of the victims were children under the age of 18, including 12-year-old Kaden Ingram, who was shot and killed by his mother Saturday morning in South Chicago, according to police.

The 7th grader was shot and killed inside his home on the city’s South Side. Police said the child’s mother, Fallon Harris, is now charged with murder.

Early Monday morning, a 16-year-old boy was shot while walking his dog in the South Austin neighborhood.

The boy was walking about 12:25 a.m. in the first block of South Leamington Avenue when someone exited a vehicle and approached him with a firearm, Chicago police said.

The unknown offender shot the boy and fled the scene in the vehicle, according to police.

The boy was shot in the leg and is expected to survive.

A 42-year-old woman was not as lucky. When she joined a group of people walking to their vehicles at approximately 9:39 p.m. in the 300 block of East Kensington Avenue, a drive-by shooter opened fire. The woman was shot twice in the arm and once in the armpit.

She was rushed to the University of Chicago Medical Center where she was pronounced dead.

Five other people in the group were shot. A 32-year-old man was shot in the face and is listed in critical condition, and a 38-year-old man was shot in the stomach and is in fair condition. Both are being treated at the University of Chicago Medical Center.

A 31-year-old man took himself to OSF Little Company of Mary Medical Center in Evergreen Park with graze wounds to his head and is in fair condition.

The Chicago Fire Department said the 32-year-old man is an off-duty firefighter.

A 15-year-old girl suffered a gunshot wound during the drive-by shooting and is listed in fair condition.  A 22-year-old man is also listed in fair condition with gunshot wounds.

Earlier, one man was killed and three others were wounded in a drive-by shooting Saturday evening in the East Chatham neighborhood.

A 42-year-old woman standing outside the 2700 block of West Flournoy was shot in the knee after hearing gunshots. Police later discovered a man in a vehicle nearby dead from multiple gunshot wounds.

Those shootings are just a sampling of the violence that struck Chicago during another violent weekend.

Democratic Mayor Lori Lightfoot, who championed defunding the police last year, now faces a 60% increase in murders since 2019.

Last year, Lightfoot called for the Chicago Police Department to leave vacant positions unfilled as part of a broader plan to cut police budgets. Changing tune after facing week after week of shootings and death, she said she wants to “recruit the next generation of officers.”

In August, Lightfoot backtracked on the defund movement and proposed a FY2022 budget increase for the police:

“It is my expectation that the police department budget will increase. No question. We have to make sure that we are continuing to provide resources to recruit the next generation of police officers, and to make sure that we’re doing that recruitment in a way that reflects the diversity of our city.”

Lightfoot’s strained relationship with rank-and-file officers was shattered following the August shooting death of 29-year-old Chicago police officer Ella French dead, which left her partner critically injured.

While visiting the wounded officer and his family at the hospital, officers sent a symbolic message. During that visit, Chicago Ald. Ray Lopez, who represents the 15th Ward, which borders the community where Officer French was shot and killed, posted a photo to Facebook showing several officers at the hospital with their backs facing the camera.

He wrote:

“They turned their back to the mayor just as she has turned her back on the rank-and-file (officers) time and time again.”

Asked about the incident later at a press conference, the Democratic Mayor said:

“There was a lot of emotion running that night.

“There were hundreds of officers who were there, and I met and talked to many of them. And there was a lot of emotion from a range of the spectrum from total despair, to anger and rage and kind of everything in between – and that’s to be expected. So, it’s a really hard loss.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity
Two brothers and third suspect captured in murder of Chicago police officer, shooting of second cop

August 10, 2021

 

 CHICAGO, IL – A third suspect has been taken into custody in connection with the fatal shooting of one Chicago Police officer and non-fatal shooting of another earlier in August, with officials identifying the officer that was killed while conducting a traffic stop.

Two suspects have been charged, and a third is not charged due to lacking evidence, regarding the fatal shooting of 29-year-old Chicago Police Officer Ella French and the non-fatal shooting of her partner that occurred on August 7th.

Officials have confirmed that 21-year-old Emonte Morgan has been charged with first degree murder, attempted first degree murder, aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, and unlawful use of a weapon by a felon.

The second suspect charged in the incident was identified as 22-year-old Eric Morgan, who was charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, unlawful use of a weapon by a felon, and obstruction of justice.

Both Emonte and Eric Morgan, who are brothers, are slated to appear in court on August 10th for their respective bail hearings.

One of the two Morgan brothers were shot during the incident and was last stated as being stable after being transported to the Christ Hospital.

According to officials, the original traffic stop that preceded the shooting was merely over expired plates on the suspect’s vehicle.

The third suspect, who was only identified as a female passenger inside of the vehicle with the two suspects during the incident on August 7th, has not been charged due to officials citing lacking evidence of criminal culpability in the shooting of the officers.  

Chicago police Supt. David Brown noted that investigators are focused on the Morgan brothers for Officer French’s killing and the injury of her partner, saying:

“There’s one reason that this happened. One reason. These two offenders killed Ella French and tried to kill [the second and third officer] there. That’s the only person we’re pointing the finger at today. I won’t entertain finger-pointing at anyone or anything else. They need to be fully held accountable for her murder.”

However, federal prosecutors have charged another individual who allegedly purchased the weapon that was used during the incident that killed Officer French and wounded her partner.

On August 9th, federal prosecutors charged 29-year-old Jamel Danzy for reportedly buying the gun used during the August 7th incident in Hammond, Indiana, in March and then later providing that weapon to an individual in Illinois that Danzy knew could not buy or possess a firearm.

The Chicago’s U.S. attorney’s office confirmed that the weapon connected to Danzy was recovered from the scene where Officer French was killed, and her partner was severely injured.

Danzy appeared in federal court on August 9th under charges of conspiracy to violate federal firearm laws, knowingly transferring a firearm to an out-of-state resident and knowingly disposing of a firearm to a convicted felon.

While Danzy may not have been the trigger-man, he could be facing up to five years in federal prison for the charges he’s facing.

U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Illinois, John R. Lausch, Jr., stated the following about the case against Danzy:

“Straw purchasers and firearm traffickers enable violence with deadly consequences. Fighting violent crime is a top priority in our office, and we are committed to holding accountable those who engage in illicit firearm transactions.”

Special Agent-in-Charge of the Chicago Field Division of the ATF, Kristen de Tineo, made the following statement regarding the matter:

“Tragedies like this happen when people straw purchase firearms on behalf of those who are prohibited from purchasing and possessing firearms themselves. ATF remains committed to working with our law enforcement partners and the U.S. Attorney’s Office to investigate these firearms trafficking schemes and prosecute those responsible.”

This is an ongoing investigation.

Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we continue to gather further insight into this developing case.
 

 

 

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
 
Facebook Follow First
Share:
Related Posts