CHICAGO, IL – According to prosecutors, an 18-year-old suspect who was released on a $500 bond for a weapons charge back in November of 2020 has recently been arrested for allegedly fatally shooting his girlfriend during what prosecutors say was an incident involving a reckless discharge of a firearm.
Chicago | #2: Man fatally shot girlfriend while on electronic monitoring for November gun case, prosecutors say https://t.co/wenQSv7XFE
— Joe Louis (@JoeLouis7) January 21, 2021
On November 6th, 2020, prosecutors charged 18-year-old Antwon Derrington with unlawful use of a weapon after police allegedly found a loaded handgun inside of his vehicle.
When Derrington went before bond court in November, prosecutors noted that the suspect had ran away from police after they’d asked him to step out of the vehicle during a traffic stop.
After allegedly running from officers during the traffic stop, police were said to have found Derrington hiding under a nearby vehicle and were said to have later located a loaded firearm resting between the driver’s seat and the center console of the vehicle he had been pulled over in.
During his arrest, Derrington allegedly told police that there was a high likelihood that both his DNA and fingerprints would be found on the weapon recovered.
At this November bond hearing, Judge John Lyke had opted to afford the suspect bond set at $500, with the condition being that Derrington go on electronic monitoring while released and awaiting trial.
It is worthy of noting that when Derrington had received these November 2020 charges, he had also been sentenced to 18 months of juvenile probation back in February of 2020 for robberies that he allegedly committed as a minor.
Nonetheless, Derrington thus posted bond and was free to go.
Flash forward to January 17th of 2021 at roughly 2:30 in the morning, and Derrington and his girlfriend were reportedly at a home located within the 1200 block of South Kedvale.
According to Assistant State’s Attorney Lorraine Scaduto, Derrington and his girlfriend were at said residence sharing drinks, smoking weed, and recording videos on his girlfriend’s phone that showcased the both of them handling various firearms.
ASA Scaduto claimed that during the early morning hours of January 17th, Derrington and his girlfriend were wantonly discharging said firearms from the back porch of the residence, which resulted in activating The Chicago Police Department’s ShotSpotter gunfire detectors.
From what prosecutors say, during these alleged thoughtless acts, Derrington had allegedly shot his girlfriend in the chest killing her. As such, Derrington was arrested and charged with reckless discharge of a firearm.
When these latest charges were brought forth before Judge David Navarro, he was rather curious as to why he was dealing with a charge of reckless discharge of a firearm – when the suspect in question allegedly engaged in actions that lead to a loss of life:
“Just so I’m clear here, the defendant is accused of discharging a firearm recklessly, and that discharge is alleged to have caused the death of the victim in this matter?”
ASA Scaduto responded to Judge Navarro’s requested clarification, noting that, “other charges may be filed later,” as the case is still be examined.
The prosecutor in the case further alleged that Derrington had admitted to police that he did fire the gun in the backyard that morning of the 17th, and that one of his relatives allegedly disposed of the weapon in an effort to conceal the evidence.
Considering the suspects criminal history in concurrence with the newest charges, Judge Navarro had ordered Derrington to be held without bail for violating the terms of bail established for the November gun case.
Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters? Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you. Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories. Click to check it out.
In other news in Chicago, a traffic stop earlier in January reportedly escalated into a foot pursuit and a non-fatal officer-involved shooting.
Here’s that previous report.
CHICAGO, IL – A suspect was reportedly non-fatally shot by Chicago Police officers during the evening of January 18th, following a traffic stop that escalated into a foot pursuit and a spat of exchanged gunfire between the suspect and officers.
— NBC Chicago (@nbcchicago) January 19, 2021
According to CPD officials, the incident transpired slightly before 10:00 p.m. within the 3800 block of West Polk St. in the Homan Square neighborhood.
Chicago Police say that officers attempted to initiate a traffic stop involving a vehicle that hosted three individuals inside; however, the occupant within the front passenger’s side seat allegedly got out of the vehicle and started to run from the scene of the traffic stop.
When officers on the scene began to pursue the suspect that ran from the vehicle, officials say that the suspect allegedly opened fire on the pursuing officers. During the foot pursuit, the officers returned fire resulting in the suspect being non-fatally shot.
The suspect that was shot, who has yet to be identified, was reportedly transported to Mount Sinai Hospital for treatment. As of this time, officials are not privy to the suspect’s specific condition.
Officials did note that no police officers were hit during the exchanged gunfire, but two officers were taken to a nearby hospital for observation and have since been cited as being in good condition.
Police did also relay that the suspect who was shot during the foot pursuit had allegedly discarded three handguns during same said pursuit, which have all been recovered by police.
With respect to the other suspects that were inside of the vehicle during the initial traffic stop, specifically the driver and the back seat passenger, they were said to have fled the scene of the traffic stop while officers were initially in pursuit of the first suspect to have fled the vehicle and allegedly exchanged gunfire with police.
Those two particular suspects are still at large.
The matter is still under investigation, which includes the use of force reportedly employed by the officers that evening.
The Civilian Office of Police Accountability are reviewing the evidence collected thus far, and the officers involved had been placed on administrative duties for 30 days which is standard protocol associated with officer involved shootings.
This is a developing story. Please follow Law Enforcement Today as we gather further updates and insights into this pending investigation.
Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!