Charges filed against man shot in the face while attempting to invade the home of an off-duty police officer


CHICAGO, IL – Authorities in Chicago have filed charges against a 32-year-old man who was shot in the face when he allegedly attempted to invade the home of an off-duty Chicago Police officer.

While the suspect is reportedly still hospitalized from getting shot, it’s safe to say that he’d better enjoy the hospital food while he can since jail doesn’t come with a bedside menu.

Police say that 32-year-old Jose Mendoza attempted to burglarize the home of an off-duty Chicago police officer at approximately 12:30 a.m. on March 31st.

The off-duty officer and his wife were reportedly watching a movie with their 21-month-old daughter at their home located within the 3100 block of West Belle Plaine when they heard someone pushing up against their front door and trying to turn the knob.

At that time, the officer’s wife was said to have grabbed their daughter and shielded her over their couch, while the off-duty officer went to go grab his firearm from his safe and slightly opened the door to see what was going outside of the home.   

The suspect was reportedly crouched down outside of the front door and was said to have jumped to his feet and attempted to force his way into the residence as the off-duty officer was telling him to cease and stand back.

Assistant State Attorney James Murphy stated that there was a sort of struggle that ensued while the off-duty officer was holding his firearm with one hand while trying to keep the door closed with the other.

During this struggle to keep the door closed, the off-duty officer was said to have fired a single shot that wound up hitting Mendoza in his cheek and wound up becoming lodged near the back of the suspect’s neck.

The suspect reportedly fell to the floor after getting shot. The off-duty officer’s wife had called 911 during the struggle.

Mendoza is reportedly in critical condition at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center, but officials say that he is expected to survive. The off-duty officer was also reportedly treated for some chest pain following the incident and was released from care shortly thereafter.

Assistant State Attorney Murphy informed Judge Susana Ortiz that the suspect allegedly committed this offense while he was already on bail for a pending aggravated DUI case.

The judge clearly took this into consideration and ordered Mendoza to be held without bail for violating the terms of his pretrial release for his pending DUI case.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Back in March, Law Enforcement Today shared a report about a young girl who sadly succumbed to her injuries she sustained after getting struck by a stray bullet in Chicago. 

Here’s that previous report. 


CHICAGO, IL — Three weeks after a shooting took place on Chicago’s Far South Side, an 11-year-old victim has succumbed to her injuries. 

On March 1, 2021, 11-year-old Ny’Andrea Dyer was hit by a stray bullet during a shoot out at a local gas station. 

According to ABC7, Dyer was sitting in the backseat of her mother’s SUV at a gas station in the 100-block of West 127th Street just before 10:50 p.m. when gunfire erupted between two men.

One shot struck the 6th grader in the face. The bullet reportedly went through her jaw, and lodged in the back of her neck, next to her spine.

According to reports, a 19-year-old man was leaving the gas station convenience store, when someone shot him in the groin. The 19-year-old then returned fire, and a shoot out ensued. 

Chicago Fire Officials reported that the teen who was shot in the groin was in critical condition at the hospital. 

Dyer’s mother said the family had stopped at the gas station to pick up some snacks when two men starting shooting at each other in the parking lot.

Dryer’s mother said:

“It had to be like seven or eight shots among them,”

She went on to say:

“He did not know where he was shooting and the bullet hit my baby.”

Since the shooting, Dyer’s mother and family pushed for the arrest of the shooter, to the point where Dyer’s mother claimed she would put up a $20,000 reward for his arrest. 

Dyer’s mother said:

“If he does not step forward and turn himself in, I will put a $20,000 reward on his head. That is how bad I want him,” 
She continued:
“Because she was innocent, so innocent.”
Even those in the community weighed in on what took place. 
Community activist Andrew Holmes said:
“You walked up like you were strong. You ran like you were strong and you discharged that weapon like you were strong. But to us? You are a coward,” 

Unfortunately, on Monday night, March 22, after Ny’Andrea spent 21 days in the ICUE, she was taken off her ventilator. According to her mother, she breathed on her own for about three hours before she died.

Police said they found a weapon about a block away from the shooting, however, no one is in custody yet. The motive behind the shooting is unclear, ABC7 reported.

Despite the fact that authorities do not believe Ny’Andrea was the target in the shooting, Dyer’s mother is still in search of justice for her daughter. 
She said:

“I just pray that he will work a miracle and I just want justice for my baby because she did not deserve any of this,” 

The family is planning a memorial to honor Dyer’s life that was tragically cut short, with all of her favorite things, such as dancing, celebration, and the colors pink and purple.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Submit a Correction
Related Posts