Central Texas Police Chief Commits suicide over allegations of sexual assault


A small central Texas town is in shock today after Marlin police Chief Nathan Sodek shot himself to death. This came after Texas Rangers arrived at his home to serve warrants stemming from an investigation of what a source with knowledge of the case said was a sexual assault.

When asked about those allegations, City Manager Cedrick Davis, who will take over as acting police chief temporarily, said he did not know the full story and would not speculate. 

Authorities from several different agencies remained at the scene Friday afternoon at the home, just north of the Bruceville-Eddy High School football field.

A source with knowledge of the situation said Sodek was talking with the Rangers on the porch of the home when he suddenly turned and darted back into his home, retrieving a weapon and shooting himself in the head.

Further details weren’t immediately available.

The McLennan County Justice of the Peace was at the scene Friday afternoon.

Sodek became chief in December after serving as Marlin’s interim chief following the resignation of Mike Pesses. He had only been with the department for two years, having joined it as a detective in 2017.

The entirety of the department was sent home Friday evening. Falls County Deputies will be handling operations for the rest of the weekend.

City officials will meet Monday morning to determine the next steps that need to be taken with the department.

This is the second time that the chief of the Marlin department has died of a gunshot wound in less than four years.

On Nov. 10, 2015, Marlin police Chief Darrell Allen, who was shot and critically wounded during a struggle with a man on Nov. 1, 2015, while working security at a bar in Temple died at Scott & White Medical Center in Temple where he’d been in critical condition since the shooting.

Derrick Wayne Gamble, 24, was arrested after the shooting at the Laid Back Lounge and was initially charged with capital murder.

On Aug. 23, 2017, he was convicted of murder and two days later jurors agreed on a 95-year sentence.

Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans?  It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans.  Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice.  Check it out today.

Central Texas Police Chief Commits suicide over allegations of sexual assault

This is also the second apparent suicide by a member of the law enforcement community in the last few days. On Wednesday, an Arizona corrections officer died from what appears to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound. 

While we have very little information at this time, the Pima County Sheriff’s Department has identified the corrections officer who died at Pima County Superior Court Wednesday morning as Brian Krumm, who was a 13-year veteran with the department.

Sheriff Mark Napier says it happened in a secure area not accessible to the public at around 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday. Reports say it may have been in the parking garage.

Napier said other corrections officers were nearby at the time and came to Krumm’s aid within seconds.

“At that time, he was in a secure area that was not accessible to the public. We believe at that time he was alone and that this was not the result of felonious contact he had with an inmate or another party,” Napier said. “There were several corrections officers who were there within seconds of the incident, but the injuries to our corrections officer were fatal. When we know what occurred and we are sure of the facts, we will release them to the media. It is an incredibly sad day for the department.”

PCSD says that there was no threat to the public.

In a statement released Wednesday evening the Sheriff’s Department said:

“Please understand this is a difficult and tragic day for this department and this incident is being carefully investigated. We will provide more information as we can. Thank you for your support and understanding.”

The sheriff’s department has not yet released how he shot. While multiple news sources in Arizona have covered this event, none have speculated as to the source of the gunshot that claimed his life.

TheCount.com is the only outlet that has speculated or claimed outright that the fatal wound was self-inflicted.

As the sheriff stated this was not the result of contact with any other person, we can conclude that it was self-inflicted. We are awaiting word as to whether it was an intentional or accidental discharge of the weapon.

There is an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Krumm’s death. Law Enforcement Today will keep track of this investigation and will provide updates once the Pima County Sheriff’s office holds their press conference.

Out thoughts and prayers go out to Krumm’s family and to the men and women in law enforcement in Pima County and Tucson.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Related Posts