Methamphetamines are an illegal drug in the same class as cocaine and other powerful street drugs. It has many nicknames—meth, crank, ice, chalk and speed being some of the more common terms.
It is an absolute life-destroying recreational drug, but that certainly doesn’t stop people from manufacturing, distributing or using it.
A grandmother and her granddaughter are accused of trying to smuggle 200 pounds of methamphetamine through a California border checkpoint.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers at the Andrade Port of Entry, near the state line between Arizona and California, stopped the pair around 12:30 p.m. on January 19th.
The 65-year old woman and her 19-year old granddaughter, both U.S. citizens, were driving a Dodge Durango that border officers examined with a drug-sniffing dog. According to CBP, the dog reacted strongly enough to refer the vehicle for deeper inspection.
Authorities started digging through the SUV and ended up finding 299 packages of meth in the vehicle’s roof, doors and quarter panels. The packages weighed an estimated 219 pounds, worth around $416,000 on the street, CBP said.
Both women were arrested and turned over to Homeland Security, according to officials.
“These cases are just examples of the apprehensions CBP officers catch on a daily basis,” said Pete Flores, Director of Field Operations for CBP in San Diego. “CBP officers are vigilant to stop those who would do harm in our communities at the border, as they attempt to enter the U.S.”
Sadly, it does get past the watchful eyes of law enforcement, both at the borders, and in our interior communities. And the use of meth impacts even those who are not using it.
An infant in northern Indiana has died after detectives say she overdosed on methamphetamine that was likely ingested from her mother’s breast milk.
According to court documents, Ashlee Rans, 36, called 911 on December 19, 2019 and said she had rolled over onto her 2 -month-old, Nevaeh, while she was sleeping.
— CTV News (@CTVNews) January 22, 2020
After a full autopsy and toxicology report was received by the coroner’s office in January 2020, Nevaeh’s death was determined to be a homicide. The official report showed the infant had died from acute methamphetamine intoxication. The toxicology report shows that at the time of her death, the baby had both amphetamine and methamphetamine in her system.
According to court documents officially filed against Rans on January 15, she initially only admitted to smoking marijuana. After the Nevaeh’s autopsy results came back, she admitted to detectives that she had also been using methamphetamine and knew that the drug could be dangerous to her child while breast feeding. She claimed that she had purchased meth at a gas station two days before Nevaeh’s death.
Rans said the first time she used meth after giving birth was about two weeks before Nevaeh’s death, according to court documents. And she said she did not use drugs during pregnancy.
Rans is now charged with neglect of a dependent resulting in death. She faces between 20 and 40 years in prison if convicted.
LET has a private home for those who support emergency responders and veterans called LET Unity. We reinvest the proceeds into sharing untold stories of those patriotic Americans. Click to check it out.
We would be remiss if we didn’t add the obligatory “this isn’t the first time” disclaimer.
A Bangor woman is pleaded guilty to multiple criminal charges after her 7-month-old baby overdosed on methamphetamine transmitted through breast milk.
Police said Alyssa Murch, 20, was charged with aggravated furnishing a scheduled drug and endangering the welfare of a child, among several other drug-related charges.
Police said medical staff at Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor notified authorities December 16th, 2018 about a 7-month-old who had ingested methamphetamine and was unconscious.
When detectives arrived at the hospital, the baby was conscious and receiving treatment, police said.
Police said the baby was exposed to the methamphetamine through the mother’s breast milk.
The infant has recovered and is in the custody of the state.
Murch was sentenced to time already served and was released and enrolled in a rehabilitation program.
These were innocent kids. One is now dead, the other a product of the state foster system.
— Complex (@Complex) January 23, 2020
At least this guy didn’t harm a child, that we are aware of.
A man whose body was discovered partially eaten by a bear in Great Smoky Mountains National Park last year died of a meth overdose before the bear ever got to him, according to an autopsy released on Monday.
The remains of William Lee Hill Jr., 30, of Louisville, Tenn. were discovered in the national park in September when officials encountered a bear feeding on the body in an area off a trail.
Without knowing the exact cause of death, park officials and wildlife professionals decided to euthanize the bear a few days later for “public safety reasons.”
But on Monday, the Knox County Regional Forensic Center revealed Hill died of “accidental methamphetamine intoxication,” WATE reported.
Moreover, the report said, “An autopsy revealed extensive postmortem animal predation, but no findings of antemortem/perimortem trauma (i.e. Mr. Hill was not attacked by a bear).”
Hill had a history of drug use, and his body was found near syringes and other drug paraphernalia, according to a copy of the report obtained by the Knoxville News Sentinel.
The 30-year-old meth user had gone to the park with his friend, Joshua David Morgan, to illegally remove ginseng from the park, but the pair became separated, according to the news agency.
Morgan, 31, died Oct. 1 at a hospital in Tennessee, according to his obituary, which does not list a cause of death.
The 3-year-old 155-pound bear that was euthanized showed no signs of rabies.
Officials estimate 1,500 bears are in the park along the Tennessee-North Carolina border, and though few show aggressive behavior toward humans, bears that pose a threat to visitor safety are euthanized on rare occasions.
The park says that attacks on humans are “rare,” but that people should stay at least 150 feet away from the animals.
“Bears are wild animals that are dangerous and unpredictable,” the park says on its website. “Do not approach bears or allow them to approach you!”