Team of gunmen opens fire outside deli in gun-controled, police-defunded NYC, killing one man and wounding another

Share:

BRONX, NY- A White Plains man went to visit some friends in his old neighborhood of the Bronx, only to be shot dead right on the street. The chilling incident was caught on nearby surveillance camera.

On Sunday night, April 4th, 37-year-old Erik Hernandez, and a second man were hanging out by the Chicken Deli Grocery in Belmont when four armed men ambushed them.

According to The Daily News, Hernandez was fatally shot in the chest; the 31-year-old second victim was grazed in the head and shot in the arm, police said. The second victim, who suffered a skull fracture, was taken to St. Barnabas Hospital in critical condition.

The surveillance video shows four men rushing up to the victims, and immediately opening fire on them on the corner of E. 180th St. and Monterey Ave. Some of the men shot from the street, while others fired up close.

According to Edward Hernandez, Erik’s 65-year-old father, his son grew up in the area, and still kept close ties with people there.

Hernandez’s father said:

“That neighborhood, It’s one of those places that you live and you leave and you wish your children will never go back to,”

He continued:

“Whenever I spoke to him, that area was mentioned. I would mention my concern.”

He added:

“When you’re in the Bronx, you have to pay attention all the time, because it doesn’t necessarily have to be meant for you,”

Erik’s family told The Daily News that he was the youngest of three sons, and he lived with his parents while he was attempting to get his life back on track.

Hernandez’s father said that his son used to work as a driver for a small emergency medical transportation company that he owned, however COVID-19 took a toll on the business.

Edward Hernandez said:

“This is another one of those results of COVID,”

He went on to say:

“He worked nine, ten hours a day. He wouldn’t have been in that situation.”

Hernandez and his father would pass the time talking, and most recently, they chatted about how he was waiting to get a passport renewed so he could go to a wedding. It was the last thing they spoke about, The Daily News reported.

His father said:

“He asked me if I had seen it in the mail,”

Hernandez’s mother was clearly distraught over the loss of her son, so much so that she was unable to give her name, but said that she did not know much about what lead to the shooting.

She said:

“He was a good person,”

She went on to say:

“He was trying to get himself together…. The only thing I know is that he had friends over there.”

The scene of the shooting is evident by the bullet holes that line the wall of the deli.

A resident of the neighborhood, who would rather remain anonymous said:

“I knew him, he was a nice kid,”

The man went on to say:

“He used to drive a white Mercedes, park up here, smoke a cigar and leave. I never seen him have altercations or nothing.”

23-year-old Bryan Cespedes, who saw the aftermath of the shooting from his kitchen window, said he didn’t hear any yelling or arguments beforehand.

Cespedes said:

“All I seen was a man laying down, and they were doing chest compressions,”

He added:

“I guess they ended up finding a pulse for him. They ended up eventually taking him.”

Police have not made any arrests in the shooting.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Viral video of attack on Asian-American couple leads to arrest of 15-year-old suspect

April 6, 2021

TACOMA, WA – Tacoma police arrested a teen suspected of assaulting an elderly Korean-American couple in a hate crime that occurred nearly five months ago. The assault was captured on video and widely circulated on social media.

The video from November 19 shows an older couple walking through a neighborhood when two teenage boys rushed up to them. A teen appears to try to kick the elderly man but falls to the ground.

As the elderly man tries to help the teen stand, the teen begins punching the male repeatedly as the helpless woman holds her husband’s arm and shouts at the attacker.

Another teen in the video stood close by watching the assault, while a third teen videotaped the attack. Police believe a fourth teen was also involved.

Police said they did not connect the video to the attack until the elderly couple’s daughter recognized their relatives in the footage. They said they only learned of the video on March 30.

Tacoma Police Public Information Officer Wendy Haddow said the attack appeared random and that the victims did not know the attackers saying, “They had never seen them before, never dealt with them before.”

Police said the 15-year-old teen arrested was the one who threw the punches during the assault. The suspect was not identified by authorities because he is a juvenile. Police said the suspect would be charged with second-degree assault.

The video was used by investigators to identify the teen, and he was taken into custody on Friday as he arrived at a detention review hearing for an unrelated robbery case.

The victims have not been identified by authorities.

The victims gave an interview to local media on March 31, in which the 56-year-old man said he did not know why he was attacked. “I just don’t understand why I was attacked,” he said.

When asked by a reporter if he believed he was targeted because he was Asian-American, the man said:

“I have to think so. I’m Asian. I’m older, and I’m not that big. I still don’t understand. This (has) changed my life.”

The man said the attack happened without warning:

“I thought they were messing around with each other and accidentally bumped into me. So, I asked, ‘You OK? (sic) You OK?

“A fist came flying in (and) hit me right here, and I started bleeding.”

Anti-Asian attacks have been steadily increasing dramatically across the country since the pandemic began. In New York City, for example, 28 arrests were made for hate crimes targeting Asians in 2020, up from three in 2019 and two in 2018, according to the New York Police Department.

According to data from Stop AAPI Hate, a nonprofit that tracks incidents of discrimination, more than 3,000 anti-Asian attacks occurred between March 19, 2020 and February 28, 2021.  The group said they believe the number is only a fraction of the true number of crimes.

In Tacoma, PIO Haddow said the decision on whether to prosecute the case as a hate crime will be made by the Pierce County Prosecutor’s Office.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First