A manhunt has been called off in Auburn, Alabama, after police say they caught the gunman who they say killed one police officer and seriously wounded two others on Sunday night.


It happened after they responded to a domestic disturbance at a mobile home park.

Police say they responded to the call at about 10:10 p.m. at a residence located in the 3000 Block of Wire Road.

When they arrived, a suspect wearing body armor and opened fire on them, immediately killing one of the three officers.  The other two officers are listed in critical condition.

Lee County Coroner Bill Harris didn’t release the name of the officer who was murdered or any details of the incident. He did confirm that one of the officers was airlifted from the mobile home park where the shooting happened.

According to Harris, the State Bureau of Investigation has been brought in to investigate the shooting.

Grady Wayne Wilkes

Grady Wayne Wilkes


Police launched a manhunt for the suspect, later identified as Grady Wayne Wilkes, age 29.  They describe Wilkes as being 6-feet-4-inches tall, 215 pounds, with brown hair, hazel eyes, and was last seen wearing shorts.  According to the statement, he was “considered armed and dangerous”.

The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency said this:

“The State of Alabama has issued an Emergency BLUE Alert. The Auburn Police Department and the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency ask for your assistance in locating Grady Wayne Wilkes. Wilkes is a white male, 6’4”, 215 pounds, and is believed to be a serious risk to the public. Wilkes was last seen wearing camo clothing with body armor and a helmet at Arrow Head Trailer Park in Auburn, Alabama around 11:30 pm on May 19, 2019. If you have any information regarding Wilkes, please contact the Auburn Police Department at 334-501-3100 or call 911.”

Residents were told to shelter in place on Sunday night after helicopters and a massive police presence started sweeping the area during the overnight hours.

“I heard six shots, rapid-fire like it was an automatic weapon, and then there was a brief pause, maybe a second, and then three more single shots,” a woman who lives in the mobile home park who asked to not be publicly identified told local media.

She says they were followed by silence for a time.

“Less than five minutes later there were sirens, and they kept coming,” she said.

She says she went out to talk with a neighbor next door when police officers began running up and down the streets, she said, and the residents were told they needed to shelter in place.

“I’m locked inside with all my lights on,” the woman said on the phone during the incident. “I was laying on my floor, and now I’m in my bathroom.” 

According to witnesses, multiple ambulances also responded, with at least one later quickly exiting with its siren on.

The shooting happened only a few miles from a similar massive response in February on Wire Road. That was where an Auburn police officer was shot during a traffic stop of a robbery suspect and the suspects later were found in an apartment complex.

In that incident, officers from multiple agencies, including a special task force, engaged that night in heavy gunfire at Crossland Downs apartment complex on Stonegate Drive, off Wire Road.

When that shooting happened, emergency responders quickly evacuating residents there and warning others nearby and across from the Auburn University vet school to shelter-in-place.

The officer injured in that shooting survived and is recovering, but the two were killed in a shootout and subsequent fire in the apartment where they sought refuge.

At about 1 a.m. Monday, Auburn University issued a text and 911 phone alert:

“Massive police presence near Arrowhead Mobile Home Park off of Wire Rd, approx 5 miles west of Vet School. Avoid area until further notice.”

The attack followed a deadly weekend for law enforcement in America, just as National Police Week was coming to a conclusion.

Police Officer Claudia Cormier from San Marcos, Texas is fighting for her life today.

Fighting For Her Life: Officer critically injured after hit by drunk driver San Marcos Police Officer Claudia Cormier

Fighting For Her Life: Officer critically injured after hit by drunk driver
San Marcos Police Officer Claudia Cormier


This after she suffered severe injuries Saturday night after being hit by a suspected drunk diver while responding to an incident on Interstate Highway 35 in San Marcos, Texas.

At 9:39 p.m., police received a call about hazardous items on the northbound roadway just north of the McCarty Overpass near the 202 mile marker. Officer Cormier, a three-year police officer, arrived minutes later.

Shortly after she arrived, 911 calls came in that she had been hit by another driver in the same area. When officers arrived, they found her with severe, life-threatening injuries.

She was rushed to Seton-Hays in Kyle, where she underwent emergency surgery.  According to police, she’s still sedated and will need more surgeries.

Police arrested the driver of the 2000 Ford Expedition that they say hit her.  He was identified as Neil Sheehan, 58, of Flower Mound, Texas.

Neil Sheehan, 58, of Flower Mound, Texas

Neil Sheehan, 58, of Flower Mound, Texas

Texas Department of Public Safety Troopers assisted the San Marcos Police Department in their investigation. Troopers said they arrested Sheehan for intoxication assault on a public servant, a second-degree felony, and failure to slow causing serious bodily injury.

Police secured a warrant for his blood, the results of which are pending.  He was booked in the Hays County Jail.

According to public records, his bond was set at $2,000 for the failure to slow charge and $75,000 for intoxication assault.

Police are asking for prayers.

“The San Marcos Police Department appreciates all concerns and well-wishes and asks for prayers for Officer Cormier’s recovery and for her family in their time of need,” police said.

In the meantime, the family of a Pennsylvania State Trooper is in mourning today after died on the job on Saturday afternoon.

It happened in Bucks County at about 11:30 a.m..  Trooper Donald Brackett was found outside of his squad car on I-276 westbound in Bucks County.

He was found by Troopers from Trevose and King of Prussia after Brackett did not respond to radio transmissions, officials said.

Police say it appears he suffered some kind of a medical episode.

“All personnel of the Pennsylvania State Police are deeply affected by this loss,” Lieutenant Colonel Evanchick said . “Our thoughts are with Trooper Brackett’s family and friends as they mourn his sudden passing.”

Brackett, a United States Marine Corps veteran, worked out of the King of Prussia barracks, where he had been a trooper since October of 2001.

He was only 58 years old. His End of Watch was 5/18/19.