Elderly man fatally shoots armed parolee as he kicks down the door and forces himself into the house


FAIRFIELD, CA- According to authorities, an elderly man fatally shot an armed parolee, who was on parole for another home invasion, after he kicked own the homeowner’s door as he and his wife were eating breakfast.

The Fairfield Police Department (FPD) stated that the incident occurred shortly before 8:30 a.m. on Tuesday, July 6th at a home on Vintage Valley Drive. A piece of plywood covering the front door of the home is the only sign that something terrible happened.

Police said that the couple in the home were having breakfast when they saw an unknown man through their Ring camera who knocked on their front door. The homeowners did not answer. The unknown man then attempted to “kick the door down.” FPD said in a statement:

“The husband, fearing for his and his wife’s safety obtained his legally owned firearm to defend them.”

The 27-year-old home intruder managed to bust down the door entirely and forcefully made his way into the couple’s home. FPD Lieutenant Jausiah Jacobsen said in a statement:

“The suspect did ultimately kick the door down, kicked it off the hinges and attempted to make entry into the house.”

That is when the police said that the homeowner fired two shots with his handgun, causing the suspect to flee. The homeowner immediately called 911 and told the dispatcher he had shot someone who broke into his house. Jacobsen said:

“The homeowner defended themselves, fired rounds. The suspect ended up fleeing and the homeowner obviously called us, asked for us to come and help him.”

When officers arrived on scene, they found the intruder across the street, suffering from at least one gunshot wound to the chest. Officers did perform CPR while on scene, however, the intruder was pronounced dead at approximately 9 a.m. Jacobsen said in a statement:

“He was in possession of a semi-automatic handgun that was loaded with an extended magazine.”

Authorities confirmed that at the time of the shooting, the suspect was on parole for another home invasion out of Alameda County. The police department’s investigation bureau is handling the ongoing investigation of the incident. FPD said in a statement:

“As there are other aspects still being looked into, no further information will be released at this time.”

Neighbors expressed their concerns for the welfare of the homeowners, stopping by and bringing flowers. Cordelia resident Tamer Totah said:

“They’re a wonderful family and they’re well-liked in the community. And I’m just really grateful that nothing more serious might have happened to them.”

Another resident, 18-year-old Nathan Biggs who said he has lived in the neighborhood his entire life, said in a statement:

“I’m kind of blown away. I’ve lived here all my life, 18 years. Probably the most eventful thing that’s happened in this neighborhood.”

On Wednesday, July 7th, the Saginaw Police Department in Texas reported they were searching for three men in connection to a home invasion. According to authorities, officers responded to a call regarding an armed home invasion in the 600 block of Redwing Drive at approximately 9:39 a.m.

Police said that three men reportedly entered the house with handguns and threatened some of the residents. When officers arrived and attempted to check on the safety of those inside the house, one or more of the armed suspects opened fire on the officers, shooting several rounds through the door.

Police took cover and did not return fire. The three suspects left the residence and fled on foot through a wooded area near an adjacent field. No officers or residents were injured during the incident.

Investigators believe that the suspects are still in the Saginaw area and do not believe there is an immediate threat to the public. This investigation is ongoing.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Report: Deputy constable’s wife, 4-year-old stepdaughter shot during home invasion

June 24th, 2021

HOUSTON, TX- A Harris County deputy constable’s wife and four-year-old stepdaughter were injured by gunfire during a home invasion in the early morning hours on Sunday, June 20th. 

According to reports, the incident occurred around 2:20 a.m. in the 2200-block of West Dallas Street near Montrose Boulevard. The deputy and his family were asleep in their apartment when someone broke in.

Authorities said that the off-duty deputy woke up and confronted the suspect. The deputy and the suspect exchanged gunfire before the suspect fled the apartment. Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said that the four-year-old was shot in the arm and her mother was shot in the leg.

The chief also said that the deputy constable told investigators that he believes he hit the suspect during the shootout. Authorities stated that a blood trail leading away from the apartment was discovered.

As of Sunday morning, June 20th, the four-year-old was in surgery at the hospital and was reported to be in stable condition. For hours, authorities fanned out in the area searching for the individual responsible.

Later that afternoon, police got a call about the suspect’s whereabouts. Officers were able to locate the suspect around 5:40 p.m. in the 500 block of West Greens Road near Antoine Drive. SWAT officers attempted to serve the suspect a warrant, but Finner stated that the suspect fired at officers and drove off.

The suspect drove two blocks before firing at officers again. The suspect crashed the car into a tree and fired at the officers a third time. At this time, officers fired back and struck the suspect multiple times. He was rushed to the hospital in critical condition.

Authorities described the suspect as a 27-year-old Hispanic male. The chief stated that the suspect’s family was cooperating with police all day and also noted that the suspect has a history of mental illness.

Investigators are not yet sure if the deputy constable was a targeted attack or if the home invasion was a random act. The deputy constable works for the Harris County Precinct 1 and has been with the force for nearly three years. Finner stated:

“We don’t know anything, what’s the motive of this, if it was targeted or what. All we know is he forced entry.”

Finner added:

“Anytime a citizen gets shot in Houston, let alone a deputy’s or officer’s family, it’s something we take seriously, but a lot of investigation has to go on with it.”

This investigation is ongoing. In a separate incident, a man has been arrested after an attempted home invasion in Bingham Township, Michigan.

According to reports, on June 23rd at 6:03 a.m., the Clinton County Sheriff’s Office was dispatched to a home invasion in the 1000 block of W. Tatft Rd. The dispatch call came after the homeowner called 911 after discovering that a male had entered their home.

The suspect attempted to tie the homeowner up while assaulting him. While calling 911, the homeowner and another resident fought and pushed the suspect outside. The suspect reportedly then fled from the scene in a pickup truck.

Clinton County Deputies along with Michigan State Police searched the surrounding area and located the truck unoccupied in a wooded area approximately 1 mile form the initial scene. Authorities said that the suspect was located trying to steal a vehicle.

The suspect was apprehended upon a search. The suspect has not been identified, but authorities did state that he was a 52-year-old male. He was taking into custody and booked into the Clinton County Jail. The suspect is awaiting arraignment, which is scheduled for June 24th. 

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Teenager and sister taking virtual classes tied up during home invasion, house robbed and destroyed

February 7th, 2021

HOUSTON, TX – A home invasion reportedly transpired in Houston in early February, where two victims inside of the home were said to have been bound as a trio of suspects ransacked the home searching for valuables.

Officials say that one of the victims is a 16-year-old boy who was attending an online class when he and his sister became the victims of this home invasion.

According to Houston Police, the incident occurred on February 4th at a home located near Interstate 45 and the Beltway.

Reportedly, the 16-year-old male victim was attending one of his online classes when he heard some sort of loud noise downstairs inside of his home.

When the teen went to investigate the source of this noise, he was said to have been confronted by an armed male suspect who was demanding both valuables and money.

The suspect was said to have used zip ties to bind the teen boy’s hands together and then utilized a television electrical cord to tie up the boy’s sister.

The 16-year-old victim stated that he heard the gunmen start speaking Spanish to two other suspects that he could hear – but could not see.

The three suspects were said to have essentially trashed the house in search of whatever valuables they could find, until a neighbor decided to check on the brother and sister.

This neighbor had actually wound up confronting one of the suspects allegedly involved in this home invasion and began to record the individual, repeatedly asking what this individual was doing inside of that house.

Said suspect that was being recorded by the neighbor reportedly continued to walk away from the individual and wound up going into a black Chevy Traverse that swung by to pick the suspect up.

Suspect image from Houston Police
Image of one suspect from Feb. 4 home invasion captured on neighbor’s cell phone video – Houston Police Department

Monica Pinon, the mother of the two teens, recently spoke about the experience her children went through: 

“The kids were in school. We kept them home thinking it would be safer with everything going on. Now, we can’t even do that. My son is coming down the stairs, and [the suspect] just points the gun at him. He’s like, just do what I say and nothing will happen.”

Pinon stated that her children are traumatized after the ordeal, and is also distraught over the damage caused by the three suspects currently at-large: 

“They’re traumatized with everything…[the suspects] tore-up everything. Until we get the house together, I don’t want them back until we feel secure.”

One issue that Pinon is having difficulty addressing is the rhetorical notion of “why us”: 

“I don’t know if we’ll feel like this is our home anymore…We don’t have anything. I don’t know the reason. We didn’t provoke anyone. What was the reason? Why us?”

Officials say detectives were able to retrieve surveillance video that was available nearby , as well as the cell phone video that was captured by the neighbor during the incident – which a link to the video can be seen here on the Houston Police Department’s robberies investigations website.

Police are asking for the public’s assistance in helping furnish any information that can assist detectives in this ongoing investigation.

Tipsters with details on the case, or who can help identify the individual featured in the HPD video, are urged to call Crime Stoppers of Houston at 713-222-8477.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

In other news regarding home invasions, or attempted ones rather, four suspects said to have attempted to victimize the members of a household in Louisiana in late December of 2020 wound up getting shot by the father inside of the home. 

We at Law Enforcement Today reported on this story recently, where unfortunately a little girl was reportedly injured during the shootout that unfolded.

Here’s that previous report. 


LACOMBE, LA – A home invasion that occurred in early December resulted in a 4-year-old girl being shot and the four suspects being shot by the girl’s father, two of which died. 

The incident occurred on December 8th at approximately 10:00 a.m., when officials say that four armed intruders forced their way into a home located along Palmer Drive.

While the targeting of the home by the suspects involved is still unclear, the father of the home had gotten into a gun battle with the armed intruders. His 4-year-old daughter was reportedly struck by a bullet in the crossfire. 

During the altercation, reportedly all four of the suspects were shot by the homeowner.

According to officials, two of the suspects, identified as 21-year-old Justin Hill and 25-year-old Renard Causey Jr., died from the sustained gunshot wounds. 

Whereas as the remaining two suspects, identified as 43-year-old Renard Causey Sr. and 22-year-old Jason LeBlanc, were transported to a local hospital and treated for their injuries.

Causey and LeBlanc were eventually released from the hospital and booked into the St. Tammany Parish Jail. 

Both of the two remaining suspects have been charged with first-degree murder, seemingly stemming from the deaths of the other two suspects allegedly involved in the home invasion. 

Additional charges of armed robbery and home invasion are expected to be later applied to Causey and LeBlanc. 

As for the young girl injured during the fray, her family says that she’s expected to fully recover from her sustained injuries. 

St. Tammany Parish Sheriff Randy Smith commented on the response time by first responders in the matter, crediting said fast response in ensuring all suspects involved were tended to properly: 

“While it is always tragic anytime there is a loss of life, I am pleased that due to the rapid response time of our deputies; all parties that were involved in this isolated incident have been accounted for.”

Police have not shared details on exactly how many shots were fired between the two parties. However, the homeowner who defended himself and his family is reportedly not facing any charges at this time.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Related Posts