News is breaking that an individual entered Saugus High School in Santa Clarita, California, outside of Los Angeles, and opened fire, injuring at least six people, with three being listed as critical. While details are still coming into news stations, it is reported that the suspect, a ‘15-year-old male Asian suspect wearing black clothing’ has been arrested.
Parents please Re-Unite with your students at Central Park 27150 Bouquet Canyon Rd, Santa Clarita. If your student has not been released we appreciate your patience, they may have been a witness and are being interviewed. Thank you @santaclarita #SaugusHigh
— Alex Villanueva (@LACoSheriff) November 14, 2019
Here is what we know so far;
The LA County Sheriff’s office tweeted at 7:56 PST “#LASD Shooting at Saugus High School, please avoid the area. Male Asian suspect black clothing last seen at the location. Deputies on scene and still responding. Avoid the area Further information to follow.”
Information and tweets from the LA County Sheriff’s Office have been fluid and being released quickly. Schools in the surrounding area were all placed into lock down.
#SaugusHighShooting: We have received 2 patients in critical condition, 3 en route. We will provide updates as they become available.
— Henry Mayo Hospital (@HenryMayoHosp) November 14, 2019
A tweet swiftly following the original post stated;
“#LASD The following surrounding schools are on lock down Highlands Elementary and Rosedale Elementary in Santa Clarita Valley.”
Fox News is reporting:
“Two male patients and one female patient were in critical condition at Henry Mayo Hospital, with another male patient in good condition, the medical center tweeted. It wasn’t immediately clear if there were other injuries — either as the result of the gunfire or sustained in the aftermath — as the number of total injuries fluctuated between three and seven in numerous reports throughout the morning. Authorities had also said one person required CPR at the scene.”
— CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) November 14, 2019
At 8:40 am PST, the SCV Sheriff’s office tweeted;
“This is still a very active situation. Reports of approximately 5 victims being treated. Parents, deputies are on scene everywhere protecting your children.”
There are conflicting reports on whether the shooting took place inside the high school or outside the school on the property. It is also unclear at this time when the actual shooting started, with one fire chief telling reporters that it occurred somewhere around 6:55 am PST.
.@FOXLA reporting as many as 7* injured in school shooting in #SantaClarita. Authorities are still searching for suspect. @foxnews #foxnews #saugushighschool #schoolshooting #shooting pic.twitter.com/OhaBD0Q06T
— Jeff Paul (@Jeff_Paul) November 14, 2019
Fox also reported:
“President Trump is monitoring the ongoing reports of a school shooting in Santa Clarita, CA,” the White House said in a statement, “The White House encourages all those in the area to follow the advice of local law enforcement and first responders.”
At 11:32 am PST, a tweet from the SCV Sheriff’s office read, “If you live in neighborhood s anywhere near Saugus High, PLEASE LOCK DOORS and stay inside. If you see suspect, male dark clothing, in backyards, etc. CALL 911”
The city of Santa Clarita City notified individuals that the reunification point for parents to pick up their children would be at the Central Park. As with most active situations, there was conflicting reports telling parents to go to a church to reunite with their children. The city tweet;
“The reunification point for student pickup is STILL at Central Park. Parents should go to Central Park for their children. At this time, DO NOT go to Bouquet Canyon Church. @SCVSHERIFF”
Several news outlets are reporting that the shooter is believed to be a student from Saugus High School.
The New York times reported that, “a weapon was recovered at the scene, but it wasn’t immediately clear what type it was or if the shooter had used more than one weapon during the attack.”
At 9:40 am PST it was reported that the suspected shooter had been taken into custody, and was transported to a nearby hospital to be treated for injuries.
Alex Villanueva of the LA County Sherriff’s office tweeted; “Update regarding the shooting at #SaugusHigh, suspect is in custody and being treated at a local hospital.”
He also updated reporters stating that a press conference would be held to give details regarding the shooting and to provide more information.
“#LASD There will be a Media Press Conference at approx. 10 am at Central Park”
As with any active shooting situation, details to this incident are fluid, and may change as new information is found during the investigation.
The shooting comes just days after the Supreme Court announced that it will not interfere in a lawsuit from moving forward which was filed by the families of Sandy Hook victims against Remington Arms, the manufacturer of Bushmaster rifles.
A petition of writ certiorari, which is a plea for the Supreme Court to review the decision of a lower court, headed to Washington this past summer. The request was triggered after the Connecticut Supreme Court overruled an ever lower court’s decision that the estates of the families could not sue Remington.
The petition to the Supreme Court requested that the case against Remington not be permitted to move forward in the court system as the federal Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (“PLCAA”) “generally preempts claims against manufacturers and sellers of firearms and ammunition resulting from the criminal use of those products.”
Social media has lit up today with outrage over today’s announcement from the Supreme Court. However, SCOTUS’ decision not to intervene does not mean that Remington is negligent.
It simply means that the Supreme Court will not interfere with the case being litigated in the lower courts. The decision of the lower courts can still be appealed to the Supreme Court if the ruling is contested.
Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans? It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans. Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice. Check it out today.
Proponents of the lawsuit have cited that Remington intentionally marketed to unstable males and claim:
“The Bushmaster Defendants’ militaristic marketing reinforces the image of the AR-15 as a combat weapon used for the purpose of waging war and killing human beings.”
They further claim that the Bushmaster guns are more dangerous and appealing to potential mass shooters than other rifles because of characteristics including “matte black, non-reflective finish” The Federalist’s Madeline Osburn reports.
Attorneys for the Sandy Hook families state that the tactics used by Bushmaster violate Connecticut law which “does not permit advertisements that promote or encourage violent, criminal behavior” according to court findings.
So, it is to be argued if Remington negligently marketed the rifle to be used in such a manner. This is where the Supreme Court has decided not to prevent the case from being heard.
Several other organizations petitioned the Supreme Court in support of Remington. Brief amici curaie, which is an argument presented to the court by a party not immediately involved in the case, was initially filed on September 3, 2019 by the NRA along with the Connecticut Citizens Defense League, a non-partisan, grassroots legislative action group from where the case originated.
The NRA and CCDL attested in the brief that to allow a manufacturer to be sued for misuse of its product will have a direct impact on Americans and their Second Amendment rights.
If a firearm is used criminally, in a manner in which it is not intended to be used, the manufacturer should not be responsible. To hold a manufacturer responsible will threaten the industry resulting in a de facto ban on firearms as it becomes cost prohibitive for manufacturers.
The brief states:
“The Connecticut Supreme Court’s ruling in this case threatens the Second Amendment rights of all American citizens. The right to keep and bear arms means nothing if the ability to acquire those arms is not possible because the firearm industry is put out of business by unlimited and uncertain liability for criminal misuse of their products.”
In an additional brief filed, David Kopel of the Independence Institute argues that the mere reference to military imagery does not parallel to criminal misuse. He argues arms are core to our history and says:
“The exercise of the right to keep and bear arms has always had a relationship to military use of arms. For example, the first clause of the Second Amendment is about “a well regulated militia.”
So, today’s announcement by the Supreme Court is far from a total victory for the plaintiffs against Remington. There is still a lot to be proven in litigation that Remington was in fact negligent in their marketing and violated state law, resulting in an exemption from the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act.
The case calls into question what precedents will be set for other manufacturers in other industries and whether they will be held liable when their products are used in a manner other than intended.
Think auto manufacturers showing nightlife in ads- does it mean they will be responsible for drunk driving?
But for now, the decision is solely that the trial may proceed. However, who knows if the final verdict of Remington’s liability will, one day, come from the Supreme Court itself. However, for today, the Supreme Court will simply not stop the lower courts from hearing it.
Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today? With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing! (See image below.) Thanks for being a part of the LET family!