Border Patrol agents protecting America – in Michigan – assist local and state police in thwarting a child abduction


DETROIT, MI – According to reports, Border Patrol agents in the state of Michigan assisted in thwarting a child abduction.

Border Patrol agents from the Gibraltar station responded to an ongoing non-parental abduction of a young child and assisted in the safe return of the child.

On Wednesday, October 5th, at 10 a.m., Border Patrol agents were monitoring radio frequency shared by local police departments when they learned of a vehicle pursuit involving the Flat Rock Police Department and an individual who had abducted a child.

The suspect had allegedly used a handgun while abducting the child. The agents collaborated with Flat Rock and Wyandotte Police Departments along with the Michigan State Police in returning the child to safety.

According to authorities, in the process of the child abduction, the mother had also been assaulted. During the initial pursuit of the suspect, the Flat Rock police vehicle was disabled and no other law enforcement were in the area to assist.

After contacting the Flat Rock police officer and ensuring he was not injured, Border Patrol agents were able to locate a vehicle that matched the officer’s description.

When the agents arrived at the vehicle’s location, they noticed that two subjects seated in a different vehicle were stopped behind it. The subject in the passenger seat was holding an infant and was identified as the suspect in the abduction.

The agents, with the help of Wyandotte police and Michigan State Troopers, took both subjects into custody without incident.

The child was cared for by a Border Patrol agent until the grandmother and other family members arrived just a short time later. The driver of the second vehicle was a good Samaritan who thought the suspect was simply assisting a stranded motorist.

That individual was released, but the suspect who abducted the child was arrested by Flat Rock police and has been charged with kidnapping, fleeing and eluding, and child endangerment.

In a separate incident, the Washington County Sheriff’s Office (WCSO) in Lincoln, Arkansas, said that it is investigating an attempted kidnapping.

The attempted kidnapping happened on Sunday, October 9th, around 6:30 p.m. Authorities said that the suspect was a man with brown hair and brown eyes. He was wearing a camo gaiter mask, black and blue shoes with black laces, sweats, and a hoodie.

The suspect was driving a maroon or red truck with white stripes. As of this writing, no details about the victim or their condition have been released. Deputies did not go into details about the kidnapping attempt.

Anyone with information that could help the investigators find the suspect are encouraged to call WCSO at 469-444-5812.

In another incident, the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD) confirmed that they have one person in custody who they say is connected to a kidnapping and sexual assault of a 14-year-old at El Sereno Park.

The suspect was caught on surveillance footage abducting the victim near the 4700 block of Klamath Street. Police say the man threatened the child with a weapon and forced the victim into a bathroom where the sexual assault occurred.

The man then fled the location in an unknown direction. Officers described the suspect as a black man with curly hair and a goatee. He was last seen wearing a white shirt with green and red stripes and dark-colored jeans.

The LAPD did not provide any further information about the person they now have in custody. Anyone with information is asked to call the Juvenile Division at 213-486-0570.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

“Prison reform”: Suspect who jumped two men in NY and was killed trying to rob them had a lengthy rap sheet

September 20th, 2022

NEW YORK CITY, NY – According to reports, state records show that the man who died after trying to rob two other men with a fake gun, served time in a correctional facility for parole violators.

The suspect, identified as 33-year-old Robert Compton, allegedly accosted two men from Staten Island in the early morning hours on Sunday, September 18th. The men were reportedly on their way home from a bar.

State records show that Compton spent three and a half years in a New York prison, including at the medium-security Gouverneur Correctional Facility and the maximum-security Wende Correctional Facility.

Compton also spent just over a month at the Edgecombe Residential Treatment Facility, which is a minimum-security prison for those who abuse substances and who have previously violated their parole.

According to sources with knowledge of the ongoing investigation, Compton brandished what appeared to be a handgun at the two men and demanded cash.

During the confrontation, Compton allegedly said, “Give me all of your (expletive) things.” The victims fought back with one of them wrestling the gun away while the other called 911.

After the 911 call, police arrived on scene and found Compton and one of the victims on the ground. The other victim, who called 911, told police that they were victims of an attempted gunpoint robbery.

During the initial investigation, police later recovered a B.B. gun, which they described as “an imitation firearm.” Louis Gelormino, an attorney for the victims, said in a statement:

“Our clients, two hardworking young men, were the victims of a terrifying armed robbery by a career criminal. They clearly acted in self-defense.”

As of this writing, authorities have not publicly ruled out charges against Compton’s victims, who maintain that Compton died in the course of self-defense.

While the attack itself was not caught on camera, surveillance footage does show Compton stalking the two men down a sidewalk shortly before the attack.

By the time officers arrived on scene, Compton was “unconscious and unresponsive.” According to authorities, he was rushed to Staten Island University North Hospital where he was pronounced deceased.

Both victims were also hospitalized and treated for injuries sustained during the physical altercation. One of the men suffered a broken hand and foot.

As of this writing, no charges have been filed against the two men and Richmond County District Attorney Michael McMahon’s office has not answered questions from media outlets like Fox News Digital on whether the men are in the clear.

The men’s attorney, Gelormino says that the evidence points clearly to self-defense. He added:

“We are grateful that the District Attorney’s Office and the New York Police Department (NYPD) conducted a complete and thorough investigation of this matter. Our prayers go out to the family of the deceased.”

According to records, Compton was out on parole ahead of the weekend attack, but had been discharged from community supervision in June of 2021.

He also had pending drug-related and car theft charges in Staten Island court and another rather long rap sheet in Florida where he has been accused of several offenses including domestic battery and burglary.

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Here’s your bail reform: New York concierge attacked with a machete by a woman with several previous arrests

September 8th, 2022

MANHATTAN, NY – An elderly New York concierge is now on the mend after police allege a woman in a mental crisis allegedly attacked him with a machete. Thankfully, the man, who suffered a fractured skull, is expected to recover.

In early September, 82-year-old Hubert Meulens was walking into an MTA office near Whitehall Street just before 8:30 a.m. when he felt something hit his head.

Meulens at first thought that something had fallen from a building and struck him until he realized he was being attacked by a woman he had never seen before. He said:

“When I turned the corner, I received a blow in the head. I thought something came down from a building – an object or something…She just came from behind. It was more than one blow. She hit me on the right side of the skull above the ear.”

After being struck in the head with the machete, Meulens attempted to get away from the woman who followed him and sprayed him with bear spray.

After the attack, the suspect, later identified as 20-year-old Deashe Calhoun, walked away towards the MTA headquarters.

Even though he was blinded by the bear spray, Meulens was still able to flag down a New York Police Department officer to inform him of what had occurred.

The officer alerted others who were in the area and Calhoun was found with the bear spray still in her hand. NYPD officers searched the area and located the machete which she had hidden just before contact with officers.

An unnamed witness claimed that Calhoun had no “emotion” when officers confronted her after the violent attack. The witness claimed:

“She was just standing there while I guess everyone is being called. Four or five cruisers came by. She was just standing there…no emotion or nothing.”

 Calhoun was arrested by officers with the NYPD and was ultimately charged with attempted murder, assault, and weapons charges for the attack. In a phone interview, Meulens, who received 11 stitches and a fractured skull in the attack, was thankful Calhoun was apprehended but was concerned she was free in the first place. He said:

“Even with just one blow, I could have passed away. I’m surprised she wasn’t in prison. She needs to be away from society for a long time.”

 Meulens’ surprise that Calhoun was not in prison comes after learning that she has had seven previous arrests for previous attacks with machetes or other weapons, according to the New York Post, including one that occurred just days before this one. The Post reported that Calhoun was arrested and released after she allegedly followed a 31-year-old man and threatened him with a machete on August 25th.

The Post spoke to unnamed police sources who allege that Calhoun is well known to randomly attack people in the area. The source allegedly said:

“[Calhoun is] a maniac. She’s known to carry knives, sharp instruments, and machetes. How is she out walking around?”

Beyond these two arrests, Calhoun has faced other criminal charges for the same or similar incidents, like one that was reported on March 26th when she allegedly followed someone in Washington Square Park. NYPD officers arrested her after she allegedly threatened the victim with a knife while saying:

“I’m coming for ya.”

Thankfully, with the most recent arrest, prosecutors in the Manhattan District Attorneys Office were able to get a judge to assign a $500,000 bond, something that makes Meulen’s son, Peter Marcel, feel better about the situation. He told the Post:

“Thank God. That’s [the bond] is appropriate. It doesn’t make sense that she was on the streets in the first place.”

Report: Manhattan judge releases another repeat offender without bail – this one assaulted a cop

NEW YORK CITY, NY – Police-defunded, Democrat-run New York City continues to cut violent, repeat offenders loose thanks to its “bail reform” policies.

According to a report from The New York Post, Manhattan Criminal Court Judge Paul McDonnell released Nathaniel Turner, who allegedly punched one cop and tried to bite another, even though a prosecutor asked for a $20,000 bail.

This is the second time in a weeks time span that McDonnell, who was appointed by former Mayor Bill de Blasio, let a criminal go free. Law Enforcement Today reported that McDonnell let Jacob Poole, who also goes by the name Jessica, walk on supervised release.

Poole is a serial shoplifter who was facing 37 counts and even though prosecutors requested a $10,000 bail, the judge still released the repeat offender.

Police Benevolent Association President Patrick Lynch said that the parole system is “broke” and “judges like this refuse to protect the public.” He added:

“All we have are two revolving doors. One putting violent criminals back on the streets and another putting cops and innocent victims in the hospital. It has to change.”

Turner, who is 55-years-old, was arrested after he was allegedly seen getting ready to smoke crack on West 36th Street on the afternoon of August 24th.

According to law enforcement sources, he ran from officers who eventually caught up with him. At that time, he allegedly punched one of them in the face and attempted to bite another cop who used a Taser to gain compliance.

The officer who was punched was taken to a nearby hospital where he was later released after being treated for swelling and bruising.

Turner was arrested and arraigned on charges of felony assault to a police officer, attempted assault and criminal possession of a controlled substance. Prosecutor Nicole Hoehle said in a statement:

“Defendant also has an extensive criminal history, including four violent felony convictions, one nonviolent felony conviction, six misdemeanor convictions, two failures to appear, an escape charge, a probation revocation, and three parole revocations.”

According to law enforcement sources, Turner, a resident of the Bellevue Men’s Shelter, was arrested in 2019 for allegedly assaulting a cop on the roof of a NYCHA building. Lucian Chalfen, a court system spokesman, said in a statement:

“Our criminal justice reform laws give the arraigning judge narrow discretion and require them to consider both the least restrictive form or pretrial detention and if a monetary amount is set, that it be within the defendant’s ability to meet it.”

Turner’s release comes after the no bail release of paroled, convicted sex offender Bui Van Phu, who has been accused of violently sucker punching a 52-year-old man. Phu was not brought back into custody until Governor Kathy Hochul intervened.

Law enforcement sources are dismayed by the latest case of letting criminal offenders walk free. One source fumed:

“Someone has to die now before anyone spends a night in jail.”

On August 3rd, the New York Police Department (NYPD) put out a press release detailing just how career and violent criminals are exploiting the criminal justice system in New York City. In a statement, Mayor Eric Adams said:

“The hardworking women and men of the NYPD are doing the work, but the overall system is failing New Yorkers by allowing repeat offenders back out on the streets over and over again. Time and time again, our police officers arrest someone who has multiple charges,  but no matter how many times this person may have been arrested before, they are often walking free hours later.”

According to the press release, so far in the year 2022, overall arrests by police have increased by 24 percent compared to the same time period in 2021. Arrests for the seven major felony crimes are up by approximately 29 percent compared to the same period in 2021.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First



Submit a Correction
Related Posts