Bodycam footage shows would-be cop killer pull out a gun, open fire on officer from just feet away


OKLAHOMA CITY, OK – Oklahoma City police released on Wednesday an officer’s body camera footage of a deadly shootout two weeks ago.

On March 2 around 5:50 p.m., officers were called to 21st Street and Emco Drive in the city about a disturbance and a suspicious person. The caller claimed a man was “scoping out: the house of another man he had been in an argument with.

The caller reported:

“They got in an argument and my brother left and the guy keeps like walking, the guy he was out there still like scoping the house. He has all red on.”

A neighbor’s security camera captured the suspect walking along the street armed with a firearm, but the officer was not aware of the gun when he responded to the scene.

Police said Officer Bryce Sheehan found a man who matched the description from the disturbance call. Sheehan’s body camera video shows the officer asking the suspect, 23-year-old Crasteven Wilson, if he had any weapons.

The video shows Officer Sheehan ask Wilson if he could pat him down for weapons:

“You got any weapons? Can I pat you down real quick, make sure you don’t have any weapons?”

When Sheehan placed his hand on Wilson’s arm, Wilson mumbled “yeah,” but instead quickly turned around and shot Sheehan, striking the officer in the right leg and narrowly missing his head before running to the officer’s patrol car and trying to drive off.

An official with the Oklahoma City Police Department told KFOR the bullets were so close to the officer’s face that they left gunpowder burns.

Sheehan ran for cover while returning fire and radioed for backup:

“Shots fired, shots fired!” Sheehan yelled. “I’m hit!”

For unknown reasons, Wilson placed the officer’s vehicle in gear, but then ran from the scene on foot.

Officer Sheehan can be seen on the video placing a tourniquet on his own leg to try and stop the bleeding from the gunshot wound.

Officer Sheehan managed to continue returning fire and struck the fleeing suspect several times. With the aid of a police drone, Wilson was found a short time later lying in the backyard of a home. Officers rendered aid, but he later succumbed to his injuries.

Officer Sheehan was treated and released from the hospital. He has been placed on administrative leave pending investigation of the shooting, a normal procedure in officer-involved shootings. The department will turn their investigation over to the Oklahoma County District Attorney’s Office.

Chief Wade Gourley called Officer Sheehan a hero and said he survived the incident because of his training. He said the video was shocking:

“I had a lot of reactions in watching it. I had to watch it several times to take it all in.

“It was very obvious that was deliberate. That he was intent not on getting away but killing the officer.” 

The Chief also credited the availability of the tourniquet for saving the officer’s life:

“That all came about because a couple of officers on our department realized there was a need there and they had some prior training in combat medicine.”

He continued that the body camera video will be used to train other officers how to respond in similar situations:

“Those individuals in that training unit will have access to that video. They will be able to look at that and make determinations of how to see what was done well and make sure we train officers to respond similarly in the future.”

Bodycam footage shows would-be cop killer pull out a gun, open fire on officer from just feet away

Two Missouri officers shot, one killed – but they still managed to take out the gunman before going down

March 17, 2022


BONNE TERRE, MO – Bonne Terre is a small town about 60 minutes south of the St. Louis metro area. Officers there responded to a disturbance call at a Motel 6 overnight.

As they approached the room, 21-year-old James Emery emerged with a handgun and opened fire, striking them both.

Cpl. Garrett Worley, 28, was struck in the leg. The other officer, 31-year-old Lane Burns, was also hit. Both officers were able to return fire, killing Emery.

Worley was airlifted to Mercy Hospital in St. Louis to undergo surgery for his wounds. At the time of this writing, his current condition is unknown.

It is unknown exactly where or how many times Burns was hit, although County Coroner Jason Coplin said that he had been wearing a vest, but that the bullet narrowly missed his protective gear.

“He did have a vest on, but it just barely missed his vest,” Coplin said. “By maybe an inch.”

Paramedics on the scene rushed him by ambulance to a local hospital, where doctors tried for an hour to save him. Sadly, they were unsuccessful in those attempts. He was pronounced dead at 1:46 am.

“They worked on him awhile and just couldn’t get him to come back,” Coplin added.

Burns is survived by his 9-year-old daughter and his fiancé, Shannon Chasteen.

As if the loss of an officer is not tragic enough, Chasteen was listening to a scanner when the disturbance call went out. She continued listening as the reports came in that two officers were down, with one being airlifted for treatment.

It was not long after that authorities confirmed to her that it was Burns who had succumbed to his injuries.

“He loved what he did, and he loved the department that he worked for,” Chasteen told a local news affiliate. “From what I’ve been told by the hospital and other officers, he went down with a fight.”

As reported by KY3, officers alluded to the fact that something like this is always looming in the back of their minds.

“Corporal Dallas Thompson of the MSHP said it is typical for officers to speak to individuals on the scene to mend issues during disturbance calls but officers are always alert.

‘This is something that every officer fears. They always have it in the back of their mind,’ Thompson said. ‘The “what-ifs” and if there’s something like this could “happen”. So, whenever someone opens up a door and you’re not expecting them to pull a gun and start firing on yet that quickly. It is very dangerous.'”

Burns had been with the department for roughly five years. He was one of 10 full-time officers employed by the city. They also have 10 part-time members. He had served with other agencies before joining the Bonne Terre PD.

The Assistant Chief, Lt. Bill Stegall, called Burns a dedicated officer. He also said that they sent his officers home Thursday to grieve and mourn.

“Local departments will make sure our community is covered,” he said.

Part-time officer Amy Brenneke sat outside the station on Thursday morning.

“He would do anything for anyone, and he gave up his life for this town,” she said.

The department plans to put Burns’ patrol car on display at a local park as a memorial.

As the motives behind Emery’s actions are investigated, one family is praying for recovery, another is praying for understanding, peace and comfort.

We join these families in those prayers.





Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Submit a Correction
Related Posts