Watch: Body-cam footage released of officer-involved shooting where armed suspect yells ‘shoot me’, pulls gun


LAS VEGAS, NV – According to reports, the Henderson Police Department (HPD) has released footage from body cameras on the officers involved in the shooting of a 23-year-old man, which took place in May.

The shooting took place on the morning of May 30th in the backyard of a home located in the 100 block of Kola Street near E. Lake Mead Parkway and Burkholder Boulevard.

The man, identified as Kenneth Dehart, was shot by Officer James Brown and Officer Cody Obergh, who responded to the neighborhood after a neighbor called to report seeing a man who appeared to be on drugs attempting to break into cars.

According to Michael Blow, deputy chief of field operations for HPD, Dehart fled into the backyard of a home when he saw the officers. Dehard refused to comply with the officers verbal commands and continued to crouch down behind a block wall.

At that point, the video footage shows Dehart standing up and looking over the wall at the officers. He then crouches down again before standing up again with what police stated appeared to have been a gun in his hand. Blow said in a statement:

“The suspect did not comply and yelled, ‘shoot me’ several times at the officers.”

Both officers fired several times, striking Dehart. Officers recovered a black BB gun at the scene. Dehart was provided first aid and transported to a nearby hospital where he is being treated. As of this writing, police have not provided an update on his condition or whether he will face any charges.

According to the police, the case will continue to be investigated and the findings will be forwarded to the chief of police. Anyone with any information related to this incident is encouraged to contact the HPD at 702-267-4911 or to remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 702-385-5555.

In a separate incident, an armed carjacking suspect was fatally shot by Pinellas County deputies. In the days following the incident, investigators learned that the suspect had pointed a fake weapon at the officers, which lead to a total of 59 rounds being fired in his direction.

Clearwater Police Chief Dan Slaughter said that the man, identified as 43-year-old Robert Hubbard, not only had a criminal history involving bank robberies and served in state prison twice, but that he has a history of depression and abusing drugs and alcohol. Slaughter said:

“He’s been depressed since he was age 15, lost his job in 2008 that led to a downward spiral. He had multiple suicide attempts. He cut his own neck.”

On Wednesday, June 29th, Hubbard’s relatives said they received “disturbing messages” and alerted the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office. One of the text messages noted that he committed a bank robbery, but investigators have yet to find out where that may have occurred, if it did at all.

Officials noted that the text messages also showed that Hubbard expected a “nice shootout” and wrote, “I’m killing cops.” That same night, he allegedly stole a golf cart and later took a vehicle at gunpoint and was driving that car when he tried to rob someone in Trinity.

The next day, Thursday, June 30th, police received a tip that the vehicle was in Clearwater. Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office deputies caught up with Hubbard, but he took off. There were multiple sightings and attempts to stop Hubbard that day. Chief Slaughter said Hubbard was likely scoping out parking lots to steal another car.

Deputies began pursuing the vehicle, but said Hubbard was driving erratically and dangerously; dispatchers also told the deputies that the suspect “wishes to have a shootout with law enforcement.”

Hubbard drove to Safety Harbor, where deputies tried to use stop sticks to burst the car’s tires, but that Hubbard kept going. When he got to Philippe Parkway and Enterprise Road, one of the deputies used the PIT maneuver.

Hubbard was then seen exiting the driver’s side of the vehicle and quickly aiming what appeared to be a weapon at the deputies. All four fired their weapons; one fired his weapon through his windshield. During the investigation, officials determined that Hubbard’s weapon was not real. Chief Slaughter said:

“I wanted to point out that, had that firearm been real … there’s no information that indicates this date that these deputies had any other option. This person was on a depression crime spree. There were certainly victims … within two days. It was important that he be stopped.”

He added:

“I think all these deputies displayed admiral courage. I will say we still have some leads that we are finishing up, it will be some time before we make a final determination. But, with the evidence we show you today, it overwhelmingly shows the deputies had to take this person into custody … they were in a scenario … of needing to defend themselves.”

Do you want to join our private family of first responders and supporters?  Get unprecedented access to some of the most powerful stories that the media refuses to show you.  Proceeds get reinvested into having active, retired and wounded officers, their families and supporters tell more of these stories.  Click to check it out.

LET Unity

Second Amendment win! Woman shoots and kills neighbor who broke into her bedroom and attacked her in her own bed

June 24th, 2022


Clearwater police said they received a 911 call around 8:45 a.m. Tuesday about an intruder at a home in the 1600 block of Flagler Drive.

Clearwater Police Chief Dan Slaughter spoke at a news conference, telling reporters that the woman made the 911 call in the middle of the attack and the dispatcher could hear the struggle before the woman was able to grab her gun. Slaughter said:

“She was able to use that gun to defend herself, and fired one shot which resulted in the death of that intruder.”

The chief told reporters that the shooting appears to be a clear case of self-defense but that the investigation is in the early stages. Investigators said the victim suffered injuries consistent with a struggle and the attack as described to officers. He added that she had legally purchased the gun.

Wright, who lived next door to the victim, died at the scene. Wright did not have a criminal history and the motive for him entering the woman’s home and how he did is not yet known, police said.

Police are investigating relationship, if any, the neighbors had and what their encounters had been like in the days leading up to the break-in.

Chief Slaughter said the woman had recently moved into the home and that she knew Wright. He said police are investigating the nature of the relationship.

Chief Slaughter was asked how the woman was doing since the incident. He responded:

“Good people don’t want to have to do this kind of thing to protect themselves so she’s upset.”

Another neighbor, Mary Daddario, told ABC Action News that her sympathies are with the woman who had to pull the trigger. Daddario said:

“It is scary and I’ve talked to the rest of my neighbors and now they’re uncomfortable just to know that somebody would come in your house like that.

‘That’s something that you can’t over because that’s a shock. It’s an invasion you’re going to not ever feel comfortable anymore and I’m sure she’s going to go through some sort of mental thing in her mind because of what happened. That’s going to play over and over in her mind.”

‘Back off, dude, I’ll shoot you’: Grandma said home intruder was ‘never fazed’ by her gun or warning shots, so she killed him

May 27, 2022

AZALEA PARK, FL – A nearly 70-year-old grandmother who shot and killed a home intruder, recounted her horrifying experience.

According to reports, 69-year-old homeowner, Virginia Morrison, said she was relaxing in her home with her 80-year-old partner, Charlie on Saturday, May 21st, when she suddenly heard the front door open. When recounting what happened, she said:

“I heard the door handle kind of rattle and then the door opened and the guy stepped in my house. I didn’t know who he was. I looked at him and I said, ‘Who are you and what do you want?’ [He said] nothing. The whole time the guy was here. He never said one word and I never saw his eyes move. Total blank.”

Morrison said she then ran into the bedroom and screamed at her partner, Charlie, that there was a stranger in the house. She said:

“I looked at him, I said, ‘Get your gun!’ because he had a .45 laying on the bed. ‘Get your gun.’ That gun never fazed this guy. Just a total blank.”

While yelling at Charlie to grab his gun, Morrison said she quickly grabbed a broom handle and hit the man twice in the face. The 80-year-old man grabbed his handgun and fired off one shot that hit near the uninvited guest’s feet just before calling 911.

Morrison said even then, the man still did not move. She added:

“I said, ‘I’m getting my (expletive) gun’, so I went to my bedroom and got my gun. I went out the back door and I came to then fence and he sees me. He starts toward me. I fired a shot above him. ‘Back off, dude, I’ll shoot you.’ He just keeps coming toward me. So, I shot him.”

According to authorities, when deputies arrived on scene at the home on Bentwood Street, they found a man in his 30s with a gunshot wound. The man was transported to a nearby hospital where he died from his injuries. Morrison said:

“I feel bad for his family, but you just can’t walk in people’s homes.”

Morrison said that she and her partner Charlie have lived in the home for nearly 20 years. She added:

“I had to do what I had to do to protect myself and Charlie. And I would do it again if I had to, but I don’t want to do that. I hope God can forgive me for taking a man’s life.”

She told the Orlando Sentinel in a statement:

“I’ve been shooting guns since I was 10-years-old. I grew up on a dairy farm in Tennessee. We had to know how to shoot rattlesnakes. I’ve never had to pull a gun on anybody.”

On Monday, May 23rd, the Sheriff’s Office identified the man who was fatally shot by Morrison as 38-year-old Ezequiel Rosario-Torres. Morrison told FOX 35:

“I didn’t know what he was going to do, but I knew I was going to protect myself. I’m a fighter. I’m going to defend myself.”

The Sheriff’s Office said the case will be sent to the State Attorney’s Office and they will be the ones to determine whether charges against Morrison should be filed or not.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First
Submit a Correction
Related Posts