Blue Alert issued for man who murdered police sergeant, took off with handcuff still on wrist


HARRIS COUNTY, TX- Police issued a “Blue Alert” out of Harris County, Texas on Wednesday for a man who they say murdered a Houston-area police officer.

They’ve been looking for 21-year-old Tavores Dewayne Henderson.  He is a black man, 5 feet 7 inches tall, 130 pounds, and may be armed, police say.  

The murder happened just before 8:30 p.m. Tuesday in Nassau Bay.  That’s when police officers made a traffic stop in the parking lot an apartment complex at 2002 San Sebastian Court.

According to police, Henderson was wanted on a warrant out of Harris County for assault on a family member.

When officers tried to arrest the person, he fought with them and was able to escape and get back into his vehicle.

Henderson was wanted on a domestic violence warrant.  He broke free from police while being handcuffed. Police said he likely still has one handcuff attached to his wrist.

He sped off, hitting Sgt. Kaila Sullivan with the vehicle. EMS rushed to the scene and attempted CPR on her – but she passed away at HCA Houston Clear Lake Hospital shortly after.


Webster Police Department and Harris County Sheriff Office are assisting with the investigation while the agency mourns the loss of their officer.

Sgt. Sullivan was only forty-three years old and lived in Friendswood, Texas.

December 27th would have marked her 16th anniversary with the City of Nassau Bay Police Department.

“I want to personally thank all the citizens and public officials who have reached out to our department with thoughts and prayers,” said Police Chief Tim Cromie.

Sgt. Sullivan was the second Houston area officer murdered in just three days.

Sergeant Christopher Brewster was murdered Saturday evening by a man who had been reported for assault, according to Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner.

Police officials the 32-year-old officer was shot just before 6 p.m.

At the briefing, Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo told reporters that a call came in from a female victim who reported that her boyfriend was assaulting her and armed with two firearms.

When police got there, they didn’t find the couple.

Acevedo said Brewster spotted them three streets away on Houston’s east side.  When he went to exit his vehicle, he was shot at and hit multiple times.

Acevedo said even though Brewster was fatally wounded, he called and reported the shooting, allowing other officers to contain the area.

“Although he was mortally wounded, he had the presence of mind to draw his pistol out of his holster to protect himself in case the suspect came up and he also had the presence of mind and courage to put out and broadcast suspect information that was critical for the responding units,” Acevedo said.

About a half-hour after the shooting, which was captured on body cameras, Brewster succumbed to his injuries and died.

At first, Acevedo said Brewster wasn’t wearing his vest.  He later confirmed that the officer was.

“What people will see is a coward who took the life of a hero,” Acevedo said.

Acevedo said his murderer was 25-year-old Arturo Solis, who fled on foot.

Officers rushing to the area saw him jumping fences.

When he was caught near a school, they say he was armed with a semi-automatic pistol.

Acevedo later tweeted that police recovered both firearms and other evidence discarded by the suspect.

On Sunday, he was charged with capital murder and is behind held without bond.  He’s due in court on Monday.

According to police, the woman who called for help wasn’t hurt and she’s cooperating with the investigation.

The mayor of Houston said Governor Greg Abbott had called and expressed condolences for Brewster’s family. He also took to Twitter, saying “Tonight & Every Night we Back The Blue in Houston & across Texas.”

Acevedo said Brewster graduated the police academy in 2010 and was promoted to sergeant in February.

He leaves behind his wife, parents and sisters.

“We’re the Houston Police Department,” Acevedo said. 

He then talked about the loss of Sergeant Steve Perez, who drowned in the floodwaters of Hurricane Harvey in 2017.

“We pause, we pray and we drive forward.”

HPD Union President Joe Gimaldi called Sgt. Brewster a “true crime fighter, who loved his job and loved protecting the citizens of our community.”

Representative Dan Crenshaw tweeted:

“Chris risked his life every day protecting our community. He loved his job and was a true professional. Never forget him.”

Also murdered on Saturday was an officer from Fayetteville, Arkansas.

On Sunday morning, Fayetteville police released the tragic details surrounding the Saturday night murder of one of their officers.  Here’s what they say happened.

Around 9:42 p.m., officers heard gunshots behind the Fayetteville Police Department.

Police from inside the department responded immediately and heard additional gunshots.  When they got into the back lot, they found an armed suspect directly behind the police department.

Fayetteville Police Chief release horrific details of deadly ambush: "He executed my officer."
Fayetteville Police Chief release horrific details of deadly ambush: “He executed my officer.”

He was later identified as London T. Phillips, 35, of Fayetteville.

Police said the armed man had a confrontation with officers in which they fired their weapons at him, hitting him repeatedly.

Moments later, officers located Officer Stephen Carr shot inside his patrol vehicle.

They immediately rendered aid to both the officer and suspect.

Just three minutes later, Fayetteville Fire Department and Central EMS arrived on scene and began life saving efforts for both the officer and suspect. Police said both the wounded officer and suspect succumbed to their injuries and died at the scene.

Police say that the evidence shows that Officer Carr was ambushed and executed while sitting in his patrol vehicle.  They also said that a preliminary investigation also shows that two officers, whose names have not yet been released, fired at the suspect.

As per city and department policy, the officers have been placed on paid administrative leave until the Chief of Police is able to review the findings of the investigation.

The Washington County Sheriff’s Office and the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) are conducting the investigation into what happened.

According to the department, Officer Stephen Carr was hired at the Fayetteville Police Department in April of 2017.

He was assigned as a patrol officer, currently working in the Dickson street entertainment district and served for nearly three years.

“We would like to thank our community for their outpouring of support, along with our local, state, and federal law enforcement partners for their quick response and assistance,” said a press release from the department.  “Our thoughts and prayers are with Officer Carr’s family during this tragic time.”

The gunfire touched off a panic at the nearby Fayetteville square.

In a briefing with media members shortly before 11 p.m., police chief Mike Reynolds said responders found an officer shot outside the downtown station. The officers then located the gunman and chased him to a nearby alley, where he was fatally shot.

“It appears that the suspect came into the back parking lot and just executed my officer,” Reynolds said.

Fayetteville’s Police Department is near the city’s square. According to reports, the shots were heard by people attending the Lights of the Ozarks on the square.

Slain Huntsville police officer Billy Fred Clardy III was son of officer killed in 1978
Slain Huntsville police officer Billy Fred Clardy III was son of officer killed in 1978

And on Friday night, America lost a U.S. Army veteran and a tremendous police officer from Huntsville, Alabama.  And five children lost their father.

Billy Fred Clardy III, a husband and father of five, was shot and killed in the line of duty.  He was only 48-years-old.

On Saturday afternoon, Huntsville police Chief Mark McMurray publicly announced the officer’s name at the Fallen Officer Memorial outside the police department’s headquarters.

Clardy became a Huntsville police officer in 2005, then joined the Madison-Morgan County HIDTA Drug Task Force, known as the STAC team, in 2018.

Prior to that, he worked for the Limestone County Sheriff’s Office and the Fayetteville Police Department in Tennessee and was also was a decorated veteran of the U.S. Army.

“Billy Clardy was more than a Hunsville hero,” McMurray said. “He was an American hero.”

According to McMurray, Clardy had received dozens of awards during his time at HPD, including 19 certificates of commendation, two outstanding unit citations and eight letters of appreciation.

During his 14 years at the department, he had been a patrolman, community resource officer and training officer among his other assignments.

During his time in the military, Clardy received the National Defense Medal, Army Service Medal and Overseas Service Ribbon.

Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle described Clardy as a dedicated community advocate who cared deeply for the local homeless population.

In speaking about him, he called him a “good friend” and “special gift” to the city.

“Our whole community is feeling the hurt of losing one of our own,” Battle said. “Billy Clardy is someone who will be missed … someone who set a standard for us as a community.”

To make things more tragic, Clardy’s father was Billy Clardy Jr.  He was a Huntsville police officer who was killed in an on-duty crash 41 years ago, in a crash that happened May 3, 1978 on U.S. 72 at the intersection of Old Gurley Road when his patrol vehicle left the road and hit a rock wall.

It’s been almost 12 years to the date since a Huntsville police officer was shot and killed in the line of duty.  The last time was Dec. 14, 2007.  That’s when officer Eric Freeman was killed by Kenneth Shipp, who is serving a life sentence for his murder.

According to police, they’ve arrested Clardy III’s killer.

He’s 41-year-old Tennessee man LaJeromeny Brown and is held in the Madison County jail on a capital murder charge.  Police say he’s a “known criminal”.

According to police, the shooting happened during a drug task force operation around 4 p.m. Friday near the corner of Oakwood Avenue and Levert Street Northeast.

Police said Brown drew a gun and shot Clardy. Clardy was wearing a bulletproof vest, but the bullet went through the top of the vest and into the officer’s heart.

They spent more than an hour trying to save his life at Huntsville Hospital, but were unable to.

The chief spoke highly of the medical staff who tried to save the officer’s life.

“Billy Clardy woke up (Friday) morning and he put his gun and badge on to go do something he loved to do,” said Madison County Sheriff Kevin Turner. “He loved his job. Billy Clardy would do it all over right now. I know he would.”

Here are some more words from the Friday night press conference:

“I’ll be brief. I do not want to miss the gravity of this moment. Having left the hospital, parents lost a child tonight. There are children who lost a parent today. I think it is very important that we never forget that the people behind us (referring to the group of officers standing behind the podium) are the one’s who show up when you dial those three numbers.

They took an oath to protect and serve. And we get a chance to enjoy the beauty of this city because of the ladies and men of this police department. It is a sacrifice. The Huntsville community has lost a hero.

So, on behalf of the City Council, I am joined by Councilwoman Akridge, we send our strongest and earnest, true love and support to the family, but also to our Huntsville Police Department to let them know that we will not stand for this and we support them in every single way. The Huntsville community is blessed to have the Chief we have, the officers we have and the staff they have.

This will not go without any accountability. I promise you, anything that is needed by the police department, that the city council can help, we will.

Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans?  It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans.  Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice.  Check it out today.

Blue Alert issued for man who murdered police sergeant, took off with handcuff still on wrist


Everybody should take a moment to appreciate your life today. If you see a police officer, give them a hug. Give them a thank you. Give them some type of love and appreciation for creating the greatness that is this city of Huntsville.”

Other statements were made along with many social media posts from departments and agencies across Alabama.

Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle:

“Our City is broken hearted tonight,” Battle said. “All of Huntsville mourns along with the Huntsville Police Department and the family and friends of our fallen officer. We owe a continual and deep debt of gratitude to the men and women in law enforcement who protect our community every day. Let it never be taken for granted the sacrifice that officers make to keep us safe.

We stand side by side with our police department and in the days, weeks and months ahead – have no doubt – we will use the full extent of the law to bring the perpetrator to justice.”

Gov. Kay Ivey:

“I am grieved to hear of the Huntsville Police Officer killed in the line of duty and extend my deepest sympathies and prayers to his family for their unimaginable loss. It has been an exceptionally tough year for our law enforcement community, and this will be felt across our state.

I will also be praying for strength for the Huntsville Police as they grieve the loss of their fellow officer, as well as for their continued protection as they keep us safe. may the Lord’s peace that passes all understanding be with the family and everyone who loved this dedicated officer.”

U.S. Attorney Jay E. Town:

“All of Alabama is heartbroken again as another Alabama peace officer is gunned down in the line of duty. The Huntsville Police Department investigator, whose name will be released tomorrow, will always be remembered as a good man and a fine officer. Those of us who knew him admired his dedication and professionalism.

We must now direct our prayers to his grieving family and pull together in full support of the Huntsville Police Department and law enforcement everywhere who lost another brother of the badge tonight. I am beyond grief.”

Fraternal Order of Police:

“The Huntsville Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 6 Executive Board and membership will have our fallen police officer brother and his family in our thoughts and prayers, as well as the entire Huntsville Police Department and Madison County law enforcement community. The FOP will stand ready for whatever the department, coworkers, family and friends ask of us in assistance.”

Rep. Robert Aderholt:

“I’m very sorry to hear of the death of this officer. We can never show enough gratitude for the men and women who put their lives on the line for us every day. May God bless this family and all of our law enforcement officers.”

This fallen warrior marks the 12th Huntsville officer lost in the line of duty. He is also the 560th in Alabama history. His death is the 6th in Alabama this year by gunfire and the 7th total. Only Texas (12), New York (12) and California (10) have suffered more LOD deaths this year. Those states have three of the top four largest populations. Alabama ranks 24th.

Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First



Submit a Correction
Related Posts