Mostly peaceful protests: BLM activist who tried to burn police officer to death in Portland to plead guilty


INDIANAPOLIS, IN – An Indiana Black Lives Matter activist arrested for throwing Molotov cocktails at Portland police during anti-police protests in the fall of 2020 is reportedly set to plead guilty to state and federal charges.

Malik Muhammad, 28, faces 28 counts in Multnomah County, including attempted aggravated murder, unlawful manufacture and possession of a destructive device, as well as six counts in federal court of civil disorder, using an explosive to commit a felony and unlawful possession of a destructive device.

The charges stem from four incidents during September and October, according to Multnomah County District Attorney Mike Schmidt. Muhammad is accused of traveling to Portland “for the specific purpose of engaging in multiple criminal acts” before returning to Indiana.

Muhammad stands charged with handing out baseball bats—purchased at the McMinnville Goodwill—to protesters during multiple demonstrations and attempting to kill an officer.

Muhammad is accused of throwing a large, burning object toward a patrol car with a sergeant inside during a Sept. 21 demonstration near the Penumbra Kelly Building. Police described the object, which did not explode, as a large, yellow bottle similar to a beer growler.

Portland police released video from September 23, 2020, when police say Muhammad threw a large, burning object at a group of officers outside the Multnomah County Justice Center. The bottle exploded, and most officers got out of the way of the fireball that came out, but one officer’s lower leg briefly caught fire.

Authorities in Portland say Muhammad threw a firebomb at an officer in September, scorching the officer’s uniform.

They also say Muhammad was responsible for causing tens of thousands of dollars in damages during October 2020 riots.

Kevin Sonoff, spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Oregon, announced:

“Mr. Muhammad is scheduled to plead guilty on March 28. The details of his plea are not yet public.”

Muhammad originally pleaded not guilty to the charges, but his planned switch to a guilty plea was also confirmed by a spokeswoman for the Multnomah County District Attorney’s Office.

In court documents, federal prosecutors stated that a search of Muhammad’s travel trailer in October 2020 recovered multiple firearms, including an AR-15 rifle. According to Williamette Week, detectives contacted the rifle’s owner, who lives in Indianapolis, who told them that Muhammad was “a communist revolutionary who was attempting to gather people with firearms to engage in acts of violence.”

Police also say a search of Muhammad’s cellphone uncovered a shopping list that included “common ingredients to make a Molotov cocktail,” according to court records.

Muhammad was also arrested for using a metal baton on October 11, 2020, to smash windows at the Oregon Historical Society, Portland State University, Sprint T-Mobile, Bank of America, and Ben Bridge Jewelers during rioting.

Following his arrest, far-left group Portland Freedom Fund covered Muhammad’s $2,125,000 state bail. However, he was quickly re-arrested on the federal charges.

Antifa has continued to campaign for his release.

Police arrested Muhammad that day and found a loaded pistol magazine in his pocket; they found a pistol that fit the magazine he had near where Muhammad was arrested, according to police.

His arrest was not the first run-in with the law for Muhammad, who was credited previously with stopping violence. In a June 2020 protest in Indianapolis, he was part of a march up Meridian Street to the Governor’s Residence, leading to a standoff with Indiana State Police.

The standoff ended when Muhammad hugged an Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department officer, and the two walked together down Meridian Street. He was praised as the time, and even met with Gov. Eric Holcomb at the Governor’s residence to discuss police reform. Following the meeting, Gov. Holcomb commented:

“Historic journeys take historic first steps. Malik and I took one, together, today.”

Mostly peaceful protests: BLM activist who tried to burn police officer to death in Portland to plead guilty

Four Antifa-supporting “activists” facing multiple federal charges over Portland anarchy, including explosive charges

June 3, 2021


PORTLAND, OR – Four Antifa terrorists have been arrested and are facing federal charges for crimes committed during violent protests and rioting over the last year. Charges range from destruction of federal property to possession of explosives.

Richard Timothy Hernandez, 56, of Portland, has been charged with three counts of destruction of government property.

According to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, federal investigators obtained evidence that Hernandez participated in three separate riots in the city. During the riots, Hernandez allegedly broke more than a dozen windows at the Hatfield Courthouse and ICE Portland Field Office.

On March 14, Hernandez reportedly threw as many as 74 rocks at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement building, causing more than $21,000 damage. He reportedly threw 13 objects at the courthouse causing $143,513 damage.

Rowan McManigal, previously known as Daniel McManigal, 19, of Lake Oswego, has been charged with conveying false or misleading information about possessing incendiary chemical agents on federal property.

McManigal pulled wires from the ICE Portland Field Office’s card reader and intercom in December 2020 during rioting, according to the Department of Justice.

Reportedly, about 30 people had gathered at the ICE office and began to vandalize the property. McManigal allegedly stood in a walkway in front of the building’s main entrance for several minutes before his arrest.

Officers searched McManigal’s belongings and found a hoax explosive device with a hand-drawn hazmat placard. McManigal admitted that the device only contained water and was made to “waste people’s time.”

A third person involved in the riots was Tracy Lynn Molina, 48, who stands accused of failing to comply with a lawful order outside the ICE building, disorderly conduct, and assault on a federal officer.

All three defendants were released from custody pending trial and ordered not to return after business hours to the ICE building, the downtown federal courthouse, or the Edith Green-Wendell Wyatt Federal Building in Portland.

At her hearing, Molina objected to the prosecutor’s attempts to ban her from all federal properties pending trial.

“Seems kind of overdone for a made-up lie,” she told the judge. She added that she’s Native American, has family on a reservation, and that she visits the Veterans Affairs Medical Center often.

The judge limited the restrictions to the three listed facilities.

Malik Fard Muhammad, 24,  who was previously arrested and jailed on 26 charges, is also now facing new federal charges of possession of unregistered destructive devices, engaging in civil disorder, obstructing law enforcement, and using explosives to commit a federal felony.

According to federal authorities, Muhammad participated in Portland riots in September and October 2020 where he intentionally jeopardized the lives of police officers, destroyed public property, and committed and encouraged other acts of violence.

Muhammad was arrested in April on eight warrants out of Portland after police said he threw multiple firebombs at officers and buildings during the protests.

He has since been charged with 26 state felonies in Multnomah County Circuit Court, including attempted aggravated murder, first-degree attempted murder, first-degree criminal mischief, riot and unlawfully possessing a firearm, the Department of Justice said.

Muhammad was present during a Sept. 5 “large civil disturbance” in east Portland in which demonstrators threw fireworks, Molotov cocktails, and bottles at police, according to court documents. Prosecutors say text messages on the man’s phone indicate he gave rioters baseball bats, and surveillance footage from a Goodwill store reportedly shows him buying the bats and several growler bottles.

He also took part in two riots in late September, where Molotov cocktails were thrown at police. On September 23, an officer’s leg caught fire from one of the bombs allegedly thrown by Muhammad.

On October 11, 2020, he was again arrested for using a metal baton to smash windows in downtown Portland. He had a loaded firearm in a pocket at the time of his arrest.

The Department of Justice wrote in a statement:

“Muhammad’s trip to Portland does not appear to be an isolated event. Investigators obtained evidence that he traveled to Louisville, Kentucky, in August 2020 to meet with anti-government and anti-authority violent extremist groups to conduct firearms and tactical training.”



Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First

Submit a Correction
Related Posts