WILTON, Conn. – Sometimes we screw up… but it’s important that we learn from our mistakes. For one Connecticut woman, it might take a few more difficult lessons before the message hits home. 

Police in Wilton, a small town in Southwest Connecticut, were amazed when they took a woman into custody for a DUI not once, but two times in a single day.

Officers say that 64-year-old Ellen Needleman-O’Neill was headed to the liquor store on Saturday when she crashed her 2012 Lexus into a parked car. The Post reported that officers responded to the incident, which happened around 2:30 p.m., and found that Needleman-O’Neill appeared to be intoxicated, and officers could smell alcohol on her breath.

(Wilton Police Department)


They put the suspect through a field sobriety test, which she failed, sources say. She was arrested and charged with DUI, along with possession of a controlled substance for a pain killer pill that officers found inside her purse.

When she was given a breathalyzer test, officers discovered that her blood alcohol level was a .23 – nearly three times the legal limit to operate a vehicle.

Needleman-O’Neill was booked and eventually released a few hours later.

Here’s the part that comes in where you hope she learned her lesson.

We’re sorry to tell you that she didn’t.

The 64-year-old was scooped up a second time after an officer pulled her over – just six hours after being released from jail.


Needleman-O’Neill was reportedly on her way to the liquor store again when a Wilton officer pulled her over. When they tested her BAC, she blew a .09, which is still over the legal limit to be behind the wheel of a car. 

The suspect was arrested and again brought to the station. She’s scheduled to appear in court on September 17.

Let’s hope it won’t take a third time for her to learn the lesson. Wonder if she set a new record for the department…

Another DUI arrest in Utah didn’t go as smoothly. 

Authorities have just released footage of the moments leading up to the fatal shooting of a DUI suspect in Utah after he reportedly grabbed an officer’s gun and tried to use it against him.

The incident occurred on August 23, and by the time it was over, the suspect was dead.

West Valley City police in Utah had just arrested Michael Chad Breinholt after a caller said that he had driven to a local business and was “causing a ruckus”.


Officers suspected Breinholt had been driving while intoxicated and placed him under arrest. When they brought him back to the jail facility to begin booking, that’s when things escalated.

The video shows the small area where Breinholt was seated while going through the process. It’s a small room with a desk and some chairs, along with a breathalyzer and some drug testing equipment. It’s not uncommon for unruly suspects to put up a fight, but it’s very rarely the scene of a fatal encounter…


Officers wrestle over a gun with a DUI suspect. (West Valley City Police)


Breinholt stands up and tells one of the officers that he has a gun in his shoe. The officer responds that it’s fine, but to sit down and let him retrieve it. The officer doesn’t go for the shoe right away, and Breinholt continues to try standing.

“You don’t want to fight with me. You definitely don’t want to fight with this guy,” one officer says, gesturing to the other officer in the room. “Just sit your a** and stay, okay?”

Eventually the officer reaches over and asks for the suspect’s shoe. All of sudden, the officer and Breinholt are locked in a struggle, and panic sets in as the officer realizes what’s happening.

“F— he’s got my gun. He’s got my gun!” the officer screams.

Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans?  It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans.  Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice.  Check it out today.


A third officer rushes inside the crowded room as the police struggle to regain control of the situation. 

“You’re about to die, my friend,” one of the officers can be heard saying. Then, all of sudden, gunshots ring out as an officer opens fire on Breinholt. Only a single shot was fired.

“Stop grabbing the gun!” another officer yells as Breinholt goes to the ground. 

Another officer confirms that Breinholt was gone after he is seen lying on the ground with a pool of blood surrounding his head.

The New York Post featured the video in an article. It contains graphic content. Viewer discretion is strongly advised.


The man was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Police Chief Colleen Jacobs gave a formal statement at a press briefing following the fatal encounter. She says that officers never know what they’re up against when someone comes in for booking.

“Some people become combative. Some people are very compliant. Some people become passive aggressive. Some people turn into a lump of potatoes and won’t cooperate with anything,” Jacobs said. “To have one escalate to this level is unique to us.”

The Salt Lake Tribune reported that Utah police are justified in using deadly force if they believe it will prevent death or serious injury to themselves or someone else.

An investigation into the shooting is ongoing.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!

Facebook Follow First