His name had been kept under wraps.  That was until Friday, when he resigned.  Now it’s all out in the open and Arlington police officer Ravi Singh faces an uncertain future.

He’s the officer who accidentally shot and killed the subject of a welfare call in an incident that happened when he was trying to shoot a dog that was charging at him.

He put in his resignation Friday, which will effectively end the administrative investigation whether he followed departmental policy and training standards in the August incident.

That doesn’t mean he’s out of trouble – far from it.  According to Arlington police, there’s still a criminal investigation which has been turned over to the Tarrant County Criminal District Attorney’s Office for presentation to the grand jury.


Here’s what happened in the August 1 incident.

Singh was sent to a welfare check on 30-year-old Margarita Brooks, who was reportedly passed out in a grassy area near the intersection of Cantor Drive and North Collins Street.

Margarita "Maggie" Victoria Brooks Photo credit: Facebook/Margarita Brooks

Margarita “Maggie” Victoria Brooks
Photo credit: Facebook/Margarita Brooks

What most media outlets are failing to report right now is that sources say the homeless woman was passed out, presumably because of substance abuse, in an area that the officer couldn’t see.

As Singh walked up to the fence line, he saw Brooks’ dog.  When he called out for the woman, the dog started barking and charging at him. Singh backed up, then pulled out his gun and fired several shots toward the dog.  The footage can be scene below.

It was seconds later that Brooks began to cry out and it was clear she had been hurt.  She was rushed to the hospital where she later died of a gunshot wound to the chest.

The 40-pound dog which police say belonged to Brooks survived the shooting.


Singh, who joined the department in 2012 as a detention officer, was 25-years-old at the time of the shooting.

He graduated the police academy in February 2019 and officials placed him on routine leave pending the outcome of the two investigations.

Right not, it’s not clear when the grand jury may hear the case against Singh.


In the meantime, new information has come to light after the media spent the last week absolutely crucifying a Fort Worth police officer after he fatally shot a woman at her home.

Initial reports said that the officer showed up to Atatiana Jefferson’s house to perform a welfare check after a call came in from the neighbors.

He was immediately demonized for shooting the homeowner. Activists slammed police for being “trigger-happy” and shooting first and asking questions later.

But it turns out, that’s not the case at all.

Aaron Dean was jailed on a murder charge Monday in the deadly Fort Worth shooting. (Tarrant County Corrections Center)

Aaron Dean was jailed on a murder charge Monday in the deadly Fort Worth shooting. (Tarrant County Corrections Center)


Now we’ve learned that it wasn’t actually a welfare check that the officer was responding to, but in fact a call about a potential burglary, according to a report from The Post.

During welfare checks, police knock on the door and wait. This situation was considered an “open-structure” call, according to Michael “Britt” London, president of the Phoenix Law Enforcement Association.

London says that during these calls, police go in with a much different mindset. 

“You are at a higher sensitivity to what is going on with that house,” London said. “You have to be ready for anything. You are taking more of your environment in consideration to be ready for a surprise if there’s one.”

The public and the media took to the internet to demonize the officer, slamming his as a racist killer. They said he shouldn’t have had his gun drawn. They say he should have announced his presence more clearly.

CNN’s first paragraph of their story immediately screamed out their bias:

“A black woman was shot and killed by a white police officer in her Fort Worth, Texas home.”

Way to let the facts come in before ruining a man’s life. 

A report from VICE noted that Jefferson’s 8-year-old nephew told police that his aunt was holding a firearm in her hand as the officers responded to the scene. 

It was a freak occurrence. It’s a terrible situation. It shouldn’t have happened. But just as the media says police shoot first and ask questions later…. aren’t they doing the exact same thing?


The Shooting

Atatiana Jefferson, 28, was shot and killed by a Fort Worth Police Officer Aaron Dean, who was called to the woman’s home for a welfare check, authorities said.

In a statement, the department said it received a call at 2:25 a.m. reporting an open front door at a residence. Responding officers searched the perimeter of the house and saw a person standing inside near the window, according to police.

“Perceiving a threat, the officer drew his duty weapon and fired one shot, striking the person inside the residence,” the department stated. 

In body camera video released by police, two officers search the home from the outside with flashlights before one shouts:

“Put your hands up, show me your hands.”

One shot is then fired through a window.

Officers entered the house and located an individual and a firearm and began performing emergency medical care.

The wounded woman succumbed to her injuries and was pronounced dead at the scene, police said. There were no other injuries.

The department released bodycam footage of the incident “to provide transparent and relevant information to the public as we are allowed within the confines of the investigation”, it stated. 

Any video taken inside the house could not be distributed due to state law.

That state law, of course, doesn’t stop CNN from attacking the department, suggesting they are hiding something:

“CNN requested the unedited body camera footage, an incident report and dispatch audio from the dispatch call that prompted the response, but a police spokesperson said nothing additional will be released at this time,” the CNN report said.

The neighbor who called 911 about the open front door told Fox 4 the police officers didn’t announce who they were or knock on the door before searching the outside of the house.

“When I made that non-emergency call, I didn’t say it was a burglary. I didn’t say it was people fighting. I didn’t say anything to make them have a gun. All they needed to do is ring the doorbell,” James Smith said. 

Of course Mr. James Smith wasn’t actually there when the officer saw a threat brandishing a firearm.  But apparently he knows all about policing, because he once called them.

“They didn’t park up front, they parked on the side. They sent SRT, which is the special response team. They didn’t have a plainclothes officer to knock on that door,” activist and pastor Kyev Tatum said to local media outlets.

Take special note of the word “activist”.  ‘nuf said.

It’s crucial that in this age where we are in the middle of a war on police, we take special note of the clear bias in the media reporting that ensures that officers are convicted – at least in the court of public opinion – before they ever get a shot to plead their case in the court of law.

Did you know that Law Enforcement Today has a private new home for those who support emergency responders and veterans?  It’s called LET Unity, and it’s where we share the untold stories of those patriotic Americans.  Every penny gets reinvested into giving these heroes a voice.  Check it out today.

LET Unity


According to Jefferson’s family, they were “relieved” that Dean was behind bars.

Attorney Lee Merritt said the family “needs to see this through to a vigorous prosecution and appropriate sentencing.”

On Monday,  Interim Police Chief Ed Kraus said Dean was placed on detached duty and stripped of his badge and firearm after he was served with his written administrative complaint.

“My intent was to meet with him today to terminate his employment with the Fort Worth Police Department. However, the officer tendered his resignation this morning before we met,” Kraus said. “Even though he no longer works for the city, we will continue the administrative investigation as if he did. The case will be completed and reviewed by the chain of command.

The interim chief didn’t offer any support for the officer, and sought to legally distance the department.

“Had the officer not resigned I would have fired him for violations of several policies including our use of force policy, our de-escalation policy and unprofessional conduct,” Kraus added.

Mayor Betsy Price appeared in a press conference.  She said Jefferson was “unjustly taken from her family”.  She also said the city has decided to bring a “third party panel of national experts” in to review the city’s police department.

“To Atatiana’s family: It’s unacceptable,” she said. “There is nothing that could justify what happened on Saturday morning. Nothing.”

Dean’s letter read:

“Effective immediately I am tendering my resignation from the Fort Worth Police Department.”

It was released by the state’s largest police union, the Combined Law Enforcement Associations of Texas.

According to the group’s executive director, Charley Wilkison, Dean has not yet hired an attorney.  They also said he will be provided with financial support from the union.

Not that it comes as a shock, but the shooting lead to politicians attacking “use of force”.

“It seems like this police officer made a very quick judgment to shoot her through this window and that makes absolutely no sense at all,” Rep. Marc Veasey, a Democrat, said on Sunday night.

She and others appeared at a candlelight vigil at Jefferson’s home.

“Our welfare check turned into a death, and that should never have happened,” Fort Worth City Councilwoman Kelly Allen Gray said. “Our people, our citizens who call the police, should know the police are going to come and answer their cares and concerns in a way that does not result in a tragedy.”

According to Police Lt. Brandon O’Neil, the officer had been on the force since April 2018. 

He spoke at a brief news conference at police headquarters, and said the officer did not announce he was a police officer before he fired the deadly shot.  He said that’s at the cornerstone of the department’s investigation.

He also said Jefferson’s 8-year-old nephew was in the room with Jefferson when she was shot, and that she was watching her nephew at the time.

O’Neil went on to say representatives of the police department have spoken with the woman’s family and “shared our serious and heartfelt concern for this unspeakable loss.”

The Fort Worth Police Officers Association released a statement to the media as well.

In it, they said they are:

“Urging the Fort Worth police department to conduct a thorough and transparent investigation, and through that investigation, we hope to gain clarity and understanding of what exactly transpired.”

They added:

“Police officers take an oath to protect and serve all citizens in our great city and it is every officers’ worst fear to use deadly force in the line of duty. We are thankful for our community leaders who seek to unite during times of grief instead of divide and we hope that collaboration and peace will help guide us forward.”

Dean is now facing murder charges. He started the day as a good guy who wanted to help stop evil and save lives, and is now being portrayed as a cold-blooded killer.


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  

Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First