After 42 years in prison for his part in the murder of Philadelphia Police Officer James Ramp, Delbert Orr Africa has been released.

Delbert, now 73-years-old, was arrested after Officer Ramp’s 1978 murder, along with eight of his fellow commune members in the anti-government, black liberation cult called MOVE.  The nine members were each charged with 3rd degree murder. 

Of the nine, there were five males and four females.  Delbert was the second to last member remaining in prison; all but one of the others have either died in prison or been released on parole.  The last member, Chuck, is said to have an upcoming parole hearing.  The cult members had changed their last names to Africa to show their “family” unity. 

Anti-government extremist who murdered a Philadelphia police officer goes free


Delbert and other members of MOVE engaged in a shooting stand off with police, which in addition to Officer Ramp’s death also resulted in the injuries of four other police officers, five firefighters, and three civilian bystanders.

The MOVE members arrested for the officer’s death claim that he was hit by a “stray bullet” during the shootout.  They later alleged that the bullet was sent by friendly fire, and that they were “unarmed” during the shooting standoff.  The cult also said they were being harassed by police for two years prior to the incident.

The “harassment” likely stemmed from the many, many complaints against the cult.

In 1977, then-Mayor Frank Rizzo had been complaining of MOVE being a nuisance.  He was particularly unhappy with their health code violations and weapons violations.  The group “clashed” with police for about 15 months before the shootout that killed Officer Ramp. 

Neighbors had reportedly complained about the cult constantly, due in part to the 48 stray dogs kept in the house.  Apparently the cult was not only fighting for black rights, but also for animals’.

Police arrived at the cult commune the day of Officer Ramp’s death in order to evict them for the above violations.

After the nine arrests, the rest of the MOVE group relocated to a different part of Philadelphia, where they continued their disruption and violence. The group was eventually designated as a domestic terrorist organization.


In May of 2019, two female MOVE members charged with 3rd degree murder in Officer Ramp’s death were also released from prison after serving their 40-year sentences.  Janine Phillips Africa and Janet Holloway Africa, released at 63 and 68-years-old, respectively, are the two surviving females of the four females arrested in the incident.  The other two reportedly died in prison.

Fraternal Order of Police President John McNesby said, “When days like this happen, our hearts ache for our fallen hero James Ramp and his family as they’re re-victimized every time a MOVE member is released from custody.  We will never forget James Ramp and the other victims.”

Officer Ramp was a 23-year veteran of the Philadelphia Police Department and served in the US Marine Corps prior to that.  According to the Officer Down Memorial Page, Officer Ramp survived combat in both WWII and the Korean War.

Upon his release, Delbert’s attorney, Brad Thomson, posted a photograph on Twitter.  On the left side of the picture is a black and white news photo from 1978, where Delbert’s arms are extended during a confrontation with police.  On the right side is the current photo of Delbert, in color, with his arms extended out in the same pose.  The caption reads, “Delbert Africa of the #MOVE9 is free!”

Anti-government extremist who murdered a Philadelphia police officer goes free

Delbert Orr Africa


On the same day, Thomson posted “On August 8, 1978, Philadelphia police beat Delbert and it was caught on film. Today, Delbert walked out of the prison gates as a free man.”

Of course, there are many reports on interviews from the Africa “family” claiming police brutality.  Police are racist, anyone who thinks otherwise is racist.  That sort of thing. 

Apparently, Delbert’s daughter, Yvonne Orr, is capitalizing on his release to make money.  She has started a GoFundMe account to raise $15,000. 

“I have to have some major things in place in order to ensure he’s re-acclimated (e.g. health insurance, housing, etc),” Yvonne wrote.  “I would greatly appreciate your financial support by donating to my GoFundMe campaign for my father.  Delbert Orr Africa is now 73 years old, having served nearly 42 years for a crime none of the Move 9 committed. Please help me get him resettled into his ‘new’ world. Thank you in advance for your consideration!”

At the time of this writing, almost $13,000 had been raised by 177 bleeding-heart, gullible donors.

One donor gave $20 and commented, “I feel that they was doing something positive and was wrong fully convicted.”

Another gave $25 and said, “Thank you for your strength, your survival, your love.”

I’m not sure where the “love” came from, but I’m willing to bet that Officer Ramp’s family would disagree on that score.

Meanwhile, Kansas authorities are doing what they can to keep another convicted cop killer behind bars.

It’s been 20 years since Kenneth Vodochodsky helped facilitate the cold-blooded murder of three police officers. Now he’s about to become eligible for parole, and we need your help keeping him in prison.

20 years ago, a coward by the name of Jermiah Engleton ambushed and killed three of Texas’ finest and shot and injured two others. 

After making a bogus 911 call, Vodochodsky set up an ambush for the law enforcement officers he knew would soon be arriving. The sheriff’s deputies who were dispatched to this 911 call did what officers, deputies and troopers do everyday all over this nation every day — they went to where they thought help was needed.

Anti-government extremist who murdered a Philadelphia police officer goes free


Deputy Sheriff Thomas Monse and Deputy Sheriff Mark Stephenson arrived minutes apart and were both shot and killed as they exited their vehicle.  When they didn’t answer their radio, nearby Texas Highway Patrol Trooper Terry Miller headed their way to see if they needed help.  As he pulled up, he saw at least some of the carnage and put out the call that no dispatcher or peace officer wants to hear:

“Officer down!”

Investigators suspect that Trooper Miller realized he may have driven into an ambush.  As he called dispatch, he attempted to back away from the shooter in his patrol car, but he too was fatally shot before giving any more information.

The nearest officers were in the City of Pleasanton, just a couple miles away, and they heard Trooper Miller’s last words over the air waves.  Officer Louis Tudyk and Retired Border Patrol Agent Carl Fisher raced to the scene to help their friends. 

Now, let’s pause right here for a moment and think about what they ran headlong into. 

One radio call for “Officer Down!” and no response from three Texas peace officers who had already made the scene of the 911 call.  Louis and Carl didn’t know what happened to their friends, how many shooters there might be, or where those shooters were.  What they did know was their friends needed help.

Anti-government extremist who murdered a Philadelphia police officer goes free

Kenneth Vodochodsky


Louis and Carl also came under fire the moment they came into range of the murderer’s rifle. Both were shot. 

With five officers hit and the shooter still having the advantage, the cavalry was now coming, including Chief Deputy Soward, Deputy Guerra and Officer Sanchez. Officers from as far away as San Antonio, 30 miles to the north, poured into the area as the shooter continued to randomly fire at first responders. 

Although he remained hidden, with his location now known the tide began to turn and the long standoff became one that he knew he would not win.  Like most criminals that prey on those who have not wronged them, he took the coward’s way out and turned the gun on himself. 

LET has a private home for those who support emergency responders and veterans called LET Unity.  We reinvest the proceeds into sharing untold stories of those patriotic Americans. Click to check it out.

Senator, thousands of 2A supporters demand Virginia governor be removed from office


But it was too late for Deputy Monse, Deputy Stephenson and Trooper Miller.  By the time paramedics were finally able to get to them they were unable to be saved. 

Vodochodsky was originally convicted of Capital Murder and was sentenced to death. But shortly after, the death penalty sentence was tossed out by an appellate court, which ruled Vodochodsky was an accomplice and not the trigger man, therefore he couldn’t receive the death penalty. 

Now, on March 20, Vodochodsky will go before a parole board and faces the possibility of being released back into the community.

We spoke with Sheriff David Soward of the Atascosa County Sheriff’s Office. 

“At the time of these murders I was serving as the Chief Deputy Sheriff and Chief Investigator for ACSO. I was at the scene while Jermiah Engleton was still shooting at other responding officers,” Soward told LET.

Soward was directly involved in the investigation into the incident, and feels as though Vodochodsky didn’t get the full punishment he deserved. 

“I took part in the investigation with the Texas Rangers and also conducted a separate investigation into the theory that there was a second shooter (Vodochodsky) at the scene when the three officers were shot,” Soward said. “My investigation revealed substantial circumstantial evidence that supported that a 2nd shooter was present on the roof of a trailer house as Engleton fired from a nearby brushy pasture. This evidence was not used at trial due to prosecutors believing the case against Vodochodsky was strong enough on it’s on, and it was.”

He’s fighting to keep Vodochodsky behind bars.

“I feel like Vodochodsky has not served an adequate amount of time in prison,” he said. “Parents lost their sons, wives lost their husbands, siblings lost their brothers, we lost three brave brothers and eight children were left fatherless partly due to the actions of Kenneth Vodochodsky.”

He continued.

“Our community was in a state of shock for a long time and many still grieve over 20 years later. The State of Texas needs to here from citizens everywhere that support law enforcement and justice; that Vodochodsky deserves to remain in prison as long as possible under the law.”

Wondering how you can help? Here’s how easy it is to ensure justice is done.

“I have initiated a drive to obtain as many protest letters as possible and mail them to the Texas Parole Board, in attempt to delay his parole,” Soward said.

Form letters to protest the inmate’s release will be available at the front desk of the Atascosa County Sheriff’s Office from January 2 until March 16. If you wish to protest his parole, just drop by the office at 1108 Campbell in Jourdanton, sign a letter and we will mail it to the Parole Board for you.

If you would like a letter to be emailed to you that you can sign and mail in yourself, you can call 830-769-3434 ext. #2224, and request the secretary to email it to you.

Atascosa Co. Deputy Mark Stephenson

Atascosa Co. Deputy Mark Stephenson

Inmates DO NOT find out the names of people who protest parole as a matter of State Law.

If you have any questions regarding this, you may contact Sheriff David Soward at 830-769- 3434 ext. #2225 or email [email protected]

Officer Tudyk, whose right arm had been nearly severed by one of the assailant’s rifle rounds, did survive. He did what few would have done. He went through countless surgeries and rehab and re-learned to shoot a duty weapon…with his LEFT hand. 

He became skilled enough to qualify left-handed, pass a PT test and return to duty as a Texas Police Officer.  Louis embodies what it is to be a Texan and is now a Lieutenant with another law enforcement agency.

Carl Fisher also survived his wounds.  He remained an active part of his community until his death in 2013.

To the officers who paid the ultimate price, we will never forget you, and we will never stop fighting for you.

Atascosa County Sheriff’s Deputy Mark Louis Stephenson Age 31 E.O.W. 10-12-1999

Atascosa County Sheriff’s Deputy Thomas Orville Monse Jr. Age 31 E.O.W. 10-12-1999

Texas DPS Trooper Terry Wayne Miller Age 37 E.O.W. 10-12-1999


Want to make sure you never miss a story from Law Enforcement Today?  With so much “stuff” happening in the world on social media, it’s easy for things to get lost.  
Make sure you click “following” and then click “see first” so you don’t miss a thing!  (See image below.)  Thanks for being a part of the LET family!
Facebook Follow First